Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Sky007 wrote:Certainly no modern filmmaker. Only Lean, Kurosawa, Kubrick, and maybe 70s/-90s Spielberg have him beat, and Nolan's not even 20 years into his career.
This is honestly incredibly untrue. First, you have to define what "grand" film is, but regardless there's many, many filmmakers who've worked on a grand scale in terms of production and many others who work with grand ideas ala Malick.

Of course those you listed are the most famous and rightly beloved, but.

-Vader

We're not talking about who've worked, we're talking about who are working. Right now. Like the article mentioned.

In my understanding, "grand" in movies refers to dealing with global, timeless, universal themes like life and death, light and dark, good and evil, courage and cowardice, love and hate, and making conflicts involving sides representing this grand things and deploy all of this on the visual spectacle which exposes this great things in maximum through using extreme technological inventions or discoveries (time travel, space/interstellar flights, another planets/races, virtual reality machines, dream machines, robots, etc.).

In my opinion, there is no other filmmaker working today that makes films more epic and grand than Nolan.

That's mainly because he doesn't only produce movies with a huge scale, but also creates a whole world inside the movie. Every Nolan movie has his own world in a sense.

Abrams, Ridley, Yates, Spielberg, just four off the top of my head.

Tonnes of locations, on earth or in the universe, big productions, budgets, worldbuilding etc.

Vader182 wrote:
Sky007 wrote:Certainly no modern filmmaker. Only Lean, Kurosawa, Kubrick, and maybe 70s/-90s Spielberg have him beat, and Nolan's not even 20 years into his career.
This is honestly incredibly untrue. First, you have to define what "grand" film is, but regardless there's many, many filmmakers who've worked on a grand scale in terms of production and many others who work with grand ideas ala Malick.

-Vader
I'm talking locations, budget, scope of story, ambition, technical ambition (70mm). He's not matched by another modern director (edit: by modern I mean director to start making films post 90s). Now, if we're talking grand "ideas" then of course there's tons of ppl. But it's hard to think of many that have consistently made films at the scale, scope, and ambition that he has. But to be clear, I'm of course not suggesting that he is the ultimate "grand" filmmaker.

Sky007 wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
I'm talking locations, budget, scope of story, ambition, technical ambition (70mm). He's not matched by another modern director (edit: by modern I mean director to start making films post 90s). Now, if we're talking grand "ideas" then of course there's tons of ppl. But it's hard to think of many that have consistently made films at the scale, scope, and ambition that he has. But to be clear, I'm of course not suggesting that he is the ultimate "grand" filmmaker.
I agree with Sky007. No other film-maker working today can work on projects of that scale. Studios won't allow it. Nolan is really the only one. Scorsese had trouble financing Silence, a $50 million film. And Scorsese is one of the best ever. Certainly has a much bigger filmography than Nolan. Inception, and Interstellar are movies that studios wouldn't take risks on. And Nolan knows it. That's why I believe he won't make any "small" movies anytime soon. As long as he can make movies at this scale, he will continue to do so.

Sky007 wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
You forgot Zhang Yimou.

Lang, Ford, Griffith, Wyler, DeMille, Wise...

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Lang, Ford, Griffith, Wyler, DeMille, Wise…
No doubt they're up there, and perhaps surpass him in grand ideas, as vader mentioned, but again consider locations, budget, scope of story, ambition, technical ambition etc. few have had the power and resources Nolan has to build such grand canvases.