Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Casting director John Papsidera said: "Harry [Styles] was absolutely right for the role. As an actor he is unknown, but his readings made him an obvious choice. We thought he was fresh and interesting and he won the role. It wasn’t because he’s a well known pop star – if anything that was more of a detriment, because it could bring the wrong message and we don’t want people pulled out of the film because of who they are. Our aim was to have people who are fresh and don’t bring a lot of prior work with them, so the audience will be really immersed in the film and not struggling with recognisable famous personalities. So Harry really had to overcome hurdles to get past that. He fought hard for it and his work was impressive and that’s what attracted us to him. I don’t think he studied acting professionally and yet he won the role against some very well known actors."

The details of Harry’s role are being kept under wraps, but John added: “He read for me, then us collectively in London. He did half a dozen readings, coming back and forth and it was no easy task for him.

"This is a young man who passionately wanted this film and we looked at a lot of actors, certainly in the hundreds, some of them very well-known and many who had been to prestigious acting schools. It’s a great achievement for Harry that he won it, a great feather in his cap and we’re very excited having him in the film. I hope for him that he goes on to bigger things in Hollywood, he’s a lovely guy. I have never gone to his concerts, listened to his music or anything like that. None of us had. Chris’ kids knew who he was and we knew of him but we aren’t followers of his career. It is absolutely his own talent, ambition and hard work that has got him a part in a Christopher Nolan movie. It was because of his passion for being in the film, he jumped through every hurdle we put him through and really won it of his own accord.”

The movie sees Harry wade through mud as a soldier during the evacuation of 338,000 Allied troops after France was overrun by the Nazis in 1940.

Filming takes place around the world until September this year - with the movie expected to hit big screens in 2017.

“There will be a fair amount of wading through mud,” John adds. “But the Battle of Dunkirk was a monumental task and a lot of it was on the beach, so the beach is prominent in the film. We’re filming until end September so its a long, hard shoot and a big task.”
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... ss-8072670

Nolannolanchrischrisnolannolan.... Sorry I had to. :P

Every time there is major Nolan news like a new movie, that (now) famous Youtube song gets stuck in my head.

The sets look tremendous so far. A 5 month shoot, a bit on the shorter side for Nolan but still within his usual shooting time for principal on his past films.

Admittedly the concept seems a bit boring, but knowing Nolan he's somehow going to throw some curves and twists at us.

willaartwillem wrote: Maybe they'll shoot on the ships, and use Urk as a backdrop?
Urk is 2 hours away from me BTW.
One of the local newspapers (urkerland) said that the harbor was base of operations for the crew and that they're filming on the water and there was quite a fleet involved.

genloovers wrote:Did Nolan not realize this movie was already made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIKnvHOEy8

And this is exactly why I'm not excited for this.
Every post you've made in this section is more or less the exact same. We get it.

ChristNolan wrote:

Every post you've made in this section is more or less the exact same. We get it.
It's almost like Nolan saw this on TV one slow afternoon and thought to himself, "Wouldn't it be cool if we remade this, but with IMAX cameras and young sexy actors?!"

genloovers wrote:It's almost like Nolan saw this on TV one slow afternoon and thought to himself, "Wouldn't it be cool if we remade this, but with IMAX cameras and young sexy actors?!"
Keep going...

Then why are you on this forum? To prevent us from being excited?

Havoc1st wrote:
genloovers wrote:It's almost like Nolan saw this on TV one slow afternoon and thought to himself, "Wouldn't it be cool if we remade this, but with IMAX cameras and young sexy actors?!"
Keep going...
Then, Emma, eating a big bag of potato chips, replies: "Blimey! That's a bloody great idea, Chris! How about Justin Bieber for the lead?! Remember when we picked that Ledger boy toy bloke to play the Joker?! And he done won an oscar, he did. People love young boys with smooth hairless chests!"