Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Maybe 2017 wouldn't be so bad? Gives him more time to work on making it fabulous. And maybe the wait will make us appreciate the pussy. Er, uh, I mean appreciate the movie.

Does anyone think that with Interstellar not being praised like it was expected to be, will cause Nolan to take more time in announcing and setting up his next project or maybe even shy away from big productions for a while?

Doesn't feel like that to me tbh. But I would like him to make something smaller now.

Nolan don't care about that. Take your own time sir.

Nolan has balls of steel. He doesn't give a shit about some goons not liking Interstellar.

DoubleD wrote:Does anyone think that with Interstellar not being praised like it was expected to be, will cause Nolan to take more time in announcing and setting up his next project or maybe even shy away from big productions for a while?
No. Not at all. Nolan is able to distinguish the true essential praise from the unessential one. The love of people, the words of people lauding his work, as well as importance of his personal messages, which he includes in any of his projects, is much more important than Oscars, Golden Globes, critics reviews and other material things. So, Interstellar was praised like it was expected to be. The quantity of people calling this film "a Space Odyssey of our century" is much more significant for creators like Nolan than all of the Oscars in the world.

I think, if any of Nolan fans would ever do a movie and this movie so much people will call "an Inception of our time", this will be an ultimate prize for this guy.

No. You don't get to be one of the most famous directors ever by listening to knee jerk reactions. I mean, what if he just gave up with puzzle films after The Prestige didn't get widely praised….

I think the most interesting question about this next project is that if it's smaller, how does his new impressionistic style fit with it?
And it is his impressionistic style that has divided people from TDK on. He's made 4 straight operas.

DoubleD wrote:Does anyone think that with Interstellar not being praised like it was expected to be, will cause Nolan to take more time in announcing and setting up his next project or maybe even shy away from big productions for a while?
Hot off the heels of the dark knight trilogy and inception he had to know a lot of critics and moviefans wanted him to fail. People (myself included) have no problem hating (or turning) on someone with continued success in the mainstream. Just ask any popular athlete or musician.

So absolutely not.

Eh.........maybe. I think Nolan is very happy with the movie. It wasn't AS well received as his others, but the fact is it was well reviewed, and made a lot of money. He helped get major scientific papers published. He educated millions of people WHILE entertaining the hell out of them.

I think he'll keep doing what he wants to.

Also, LOVE your profile pic.

josephcq wrote:
Also, LOVE your profile pic.
:twothumbsup:

The question was asked on a podcast I listen too, and the panelist agreed that maybe that's the reason we haven't gotten an announcement on his next project yet.