Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

That's the highest amount of IMAX shot footage on a Nolan film yet. TDKR still has the most, with 72 minutes. I believe Interstellar had 66 or around an hour. I think that does have the longest uninterrupted sequence of IMAX shot footage, from Dr Mann showing Cooper around on his planet to entering Gargantua which in turn is even a longer sequence than all the IMAX shot footage of TDK combined lol.

Nomis wrote:That's the highest amount of IMAX shot footage on a Nolan film yet. TDKR still has the most, with 72 minutes. I believe Interstellar had 66 or around an hour. I think that does have the longest uninterrupted sequence of IMAX shot footage, from Dr Mann showing Cooper around on his planet to entering Gargantua which in turn is even a longer sequence than all the IMAX shot footage of TDK combined lol.
Actually it's interrupted by scenes of Murph at the farm. The uninterrupted sequence only starts when Dr. Mann first arrives at the Endurances with the Ranger and ends when Cooper has entered Gargantua, which are around 16 minutes. I just looked it up :)

Well Murph's scenes in the car are in IMAX and it only goes back to 35mm once Murph is back in her room when Cooper is in the tesseract. Between that it's entirely IMAX. I thought it was longer than 16 minutes but you could be right.

Yes, Murph's scenes in the car are in IMAX, but she already gets back into her room when Mann flies off his planet, long before Cooper is in the tesseract. It's only uninterrupted IMAX between Mann arriving a the Endurance and Coopler flying into the black hole.

Saw this Youtube comment from an extra, @teo38381:
I never really was in contact with Nolan so to speak, he overall seemed like a pretty chill guy, what striked me the most was his attention for details, one day there was 1600 of us on the beach, because he refused to use CGI ( once again ) , and we worked on 2 scenes (don't think I can go more in details on this one, I signed a NDA) And he kept all 1600 of us from 4 in the morning to 6pm, we worked for nearly 12 hours for something that could have been down in 3 or 4. but every time, him and his crew would tell everyone that it could be better, that something else should happen or whatever.

Forgot to mention that for these 12 hours, he did not leave the set once besides when we had lunch, I don't think many film directors would have done the same.

dormouse7 wrote:Saw this Youtube comment from an extra, @teo38381:
I never really was in contact with Nolan so to speak, he overall seemed like a pretty chill guy, what striked me the most was his attention for details, one day there was 1600 of us on the beach, because he refused to use CGI ( once again ) , and we worked on 2 scenes (don't think I can go more in details on this one, I signed a NDA) And he kept all 1600 of us from 4 in the morning to 6pm, we worked for nearly 12 hours for something that could have been down in 3 or 4. but every time, him and his crew would tell everyone that it could be better, that something else should happen or whatever.

Forgot to mention that for these 12 hours, he did not leave the set once besides when we had lunch, I don't think many film directors would have done the same.
Great stuff, thanks for posting

Yeah, he seems like someone that has to be on top of things at all times, there are no breaks and everything needs to be as good as possible. He was in this shitty small boat almost every day from 6AM to 6PM in Urk day in day out shooting scenes with the extra's or main cast. This was in July but it got preeeetty cold on those ships.

Reaveybeach wrote:Yeah, he seems like someone that has to be on top of things at all times, there are no breaks and everything needs to be as good as possible. He was in this shitty small boat almost every day from 6AM to 6PM in Urk day in day out shooting scenes with the extra's or main cast. This was in July but it got preeeetty cold on those ships.
It was hot as fuck the last couple of days tho lol

Nomis wrote:
Reaveybeach wrote:Yeah, he seems like someone that has to be on top of things at all times, there are no breaks and everything needs to be as good as possible. He was in this shitty small boat almost every day from 6AM to 6PM in Urk day in day out shooting scenes with the extra's or main cast. This was in July but it got preeeetty cold on those ships.
It was hot as fuck the last couple of days tho lol
Yeah, everybody was fryin on those ships the last few days. Luckily the make-up girls were shooting sunscreen in your face non-stop before you could even ask.