Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
okungnyo wrote:Three of his last four films have opened then, with Interstellar being the only exception (and that only happened because of the extensive CGI, as Mr. Jonathan Nolan said).
Do you have any source on that? Because I remember knowing from somebody or something that the film was already finished in June, 2014. Lee Smith had also said that they've finished editing and creating visual effects and presented the project to the studio on film just in 12 weeks. He said that guys from DNeg only had one final week from this 12 to create all VFX for the movie.

Oku
Lord Shade wrote:
okungnyo wrote:Three of his last four films have opened then, with Interstellar being the only exception (and that only happened because of the extensive CGI, as Mr. Jonathan Nolan said).
Do you have any source on that? Because I remember knowing from somebody or something that the film was already finished in June, 2014. Lee Smith had also said that they've finished editing and creating visual effects and presented the project to the studio on film just in 12 weeks. He said that guys from DNeg only had one final week from this 12 to create all VFX for the movie.
I think I found it: http://www.indiewire.com/2014/12/how-in ... ion-67277/
At a lunch yesterday celebrating the film, Indiewire spoke with screenwriter Jonathan and director Christopher Nolan about how the past month has been for them and how the post-release experience for "Interstellar" has differed from the "Batman" films or "Inception," all of which were released during the summer blockbuster season. For Jonathan, the transition from being known as the "summer blockbuster guys" to releasing something like "Interstellar" at the end of the year is a noticeable contrast.

"I love that idea of the holiday movie season because you also get sucked into the Oscar bait season, and that’s a whole different thing," said Jonathan. "We started as indie filmmakers, so you’re happy to have your movie in the theater at any time during the year when you’re coming from the indie film world. We then got accustomed to the summer box office where, if there are ideas in the film, people are pleasantly surprised. Releasing the film during this time of year is a little out of our comfort zones, but it’s great fun to watch the theme and emotion of the film connect with the themes of this holiday season. It’s about family and connectivity. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday in part because it’s more of a secular holiday and it’s about food and family. That emphasis on family and connectivity felt like a good fit with the themes of the film."

Christopher agreed that the transitional period between fall and winter is an odd time for a blockbuster.

"There’s a different rhythm to the release of the films," he said. "There are more things like this where you can support the film while it’s still in theaters, which is something I’ve never done before. I guess November was a good time for a blockbuster, which is cool. There was no way this one was going to be ready this summer, so I’m definitely enjoying this time of year. It’s a different rhythm."
No mention of CGI, so I mis-remembered. (It's been two years since I read the article, my mind filled in the blanks, forgive me!)

Although like most press interviews, Mr. Nolan could be stretching the truth. Maybe the film really was ready for summer, but he wanted an Oscar, so he delayed it until November.

I know that's what a lot of Oscar-hopeful films do. Arrival (2016), for example, has been completed for months now (since the summer, I think) and has had a ton of private and press screenings, but its 'official' release date is November.

Some people on IMDb are think the Besson article means Dunkirk will not get IMAX screens outside the US (since Besson thinks his movie will have them). Some are also claiming only one movie can have the IMAX screens (i.e. someone said "And being that IMAX is an all-or-nothing release, and two IMAX films can't be in theaters at the same time, then if we take Mr. Besson's word for what it is, then this would mean Dunkirk is not getting a worldwide IMAX release.").

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/boa ... #263003640

No chance of it being awarded an IMAX release. Not sure what the Frenchmen is on about.

Dunkirk will get a wide IMAX-release in the US and outside.

From John Lee, one of Dunkirk's editors.

Well

There it is lol

so much film...

YFR3 wrote:From John Lee, one of Dunkirk's editors.

Not cool man, epic SPOILER! You just showed us the whole film! ;)

StylesMovieNews on Twitter:
"NEW: I've had confirmation that they did, as rumoured, film some scenes at the Tank Museum in Dorset back in July/ August."