Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
m4st4 wrote:That's giving him far less credit than he deserves... and he deserves a lot for the sheer amount of ambition and scale he brings to his projects alone. It's just that, personally, I prefer a feistier director, but Nolan will always remain on my top list.
I love him but considering how much pull and power he has I wish he had bigger balls when it comes to the elements you were referring to.

How the hell is Memento not "out-there"?

Nolan is intelligent and spectacular director. His creative force is in his effective filmmaking through the sincere, intimate and
spellbinding all-at-once storytelling. He doesn't make your violent and cocky movies. WE LOVE HIM FOR OTHER! Get over it, people.

I was a blindman and now I see. Thank you for showing me how my opinion and personal preference should be formed.

Allstar wrote: Let's face it, Nolan is soft.

He won't ever make anything completely out there like PTA, Fincher, Inarritu, Scorsese ect.

He plays it safe in ways to satisfy the mainstream audience.
dang.... i keep forgetting movies have to be brutally violent and/or sexual to be great

Guys... guys, before this fucking escalates, let me remind everyone that we're all built differently, it's both a genetic soup AND past/present social experiences that form us and create this person we are right now.

So, when I say that I prefer a director who's unafraid of the violent, physical aspect of humanity, and when I say Fincher (as one example of that) edges Nolan - and I quote - 'slightly', let's not get ourselves carried away and construct a false discussion here, after all it's a matter of preference and opinion.

Now, in my book, PG-13 WWII movie is either a spy movie a la Singer's Valkyrie, or a war movie with elements of comedy a la Clooney's The Monuments Men. The Great Escape is an admirable aspiration, but I don't think Battle of Dunkirk sounds particularly cheery, or compromising/adaptable, in that area; it's either real, or it's compromised - is my opinion.

We'll hopefully soon find out what's it actually about, and how Nolan wants to approach it. For all we know right now it could be a time travel feature.

^ Not directed at you, but lmao at some of the posters in here - since when does violence and sex and curse words have anything to do with quality? Or even boldness? Nolan clearly wants to reach the biggest audience possible with his movies, but the stories he's told so far have never been weakened by the lack of such things.

Back on topic: I've never been into war films, but if anyone can make me a fan, it's Nolan. Excited to hear more about this!

Innovator wrote:the stories he's told so far have never been weakened by the lack of such things.
Indeed they haven't. Again, not the point here.

Would be hilarious if this rumor gets debunked and Nolan is doing something completely differerent. Many weeks of discussions and arguments for nothing. :lol:

Let's not forget that Nolan has said time and time again that he is going to make these ambitious, large scale blockbusters that appeal to the widest audience possible for as long as he can. The dude has a blank check, and he'll use it until he can no longer do so. That's why he's playing it safe and staying in the PG-13 range.

Now, when he's done making these epic scale movies I'm sure we'll see a return to his roots for him. I don't see how anyone can say a movie like Memento or Following is "soft."