Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Officially time to nope out of this section until the first teaser drops.

I wonder if Nolan was inspired by Tarantino to make this?
It’s actually old film-making craft. He’s calling up directors who don’t give a shit, and dealing with their apathy, and trying to explain to them how important [film] is. I would want to punch them in the fucking face. But being British, he actually rises above all of that and tries to be diplomatic about it. I think it goes very well to the respect that they hold him in. It’s not just a dollars and cents thing. Christopher Nolan would be just as good of a filmmaker as he is, just as a potent filmmaker as he is if he was making movies in 1975. Or, if he was making movies in 1965. I’d like to see Chris Nolan’s version of The Battle of Bulge. That would be fucking awesome.
Either way I am sure QT is thrilled he is making this. Again, I just hope it is Rated R, I don't want a sugarcoated War movie.

On the images there aren't many soldiers yet. But weren't there over 300k soliders in Dunkirk? Where are the hundreds of extras that were mentioned before?

Allstar wrote:I wonder if Nolan was inspired by Tarantino to make this?
It’s actually old film-making craft. He’s calling up directors who don’t give a shit, and dealing with their apathy, and trying to explain to them how important [film] is. I would want to punch them in the fucking face. But being British, he actually rises above all of that and tries to be diplomatic about it. I think it goes very well to the respect that they hold him in. It’s not just a dollars and cents thing. Christopher Nolan would be just as good of a filmmaker as he is, just as a potent filmmaker as he is if he was making movies in 1975. Or, if he was making movies in 1965. I’d like to see Chris Nolan’s version of The Battle of Bulge. That would be fucking awesome.
Either way I am sure QT is thrilled he is making this. Again, I just hope it is Rated R, I don't want a sugarcoated War movie.
Or maybe Tarantino knew all along (through Nolan himself) that Nolan was going to make a war movie and that line was just a teaser. Image

I feel like calling this a "War Movie" is inaccurate. For people who already have their minds set about how it can't be any good IF it's not rated R, they are only cheating them selves.

This isn't a "war movie", it's a movie about a military evacuation. Yes, people died and there was chaos, but it was a spectacular event and there was a great deal of cooperation between the soldiers, towns people, etc. I think it's the part of the story that will be focused on, hence it's billing as an Action movie, and not a war drama.

It seems people keep judging it based on what they think it's about, instead of really paying attention to the details of what it really IS about.

Check out this article which was written about the evacuation (and not about the film), it might help you get a better understanding of what the event was really about: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/578 ... ny-Britain

I imagined the same thing ...

But Nolan had started writing Dunkirk long before this conversation with Tarantino. He could already have the script written even by the time Quentin said that.

Lord Shade wrote:Flevoland in Nederlands confirmed to be one of the shooting locations
The filming will take place mainly along the coast of Flevoland, near Urk. It is a region of five to six kilometers. A few kilometers from the coast are also included. Warner Bros. reports that it is unknown when the actors and the director will move to the Netherlands. According to international media is that at least this summer.
http://www.nu.nl/film/4268295/nieuwe-fi ... lmeer.html
Strange, there's not a beach at all. What could they possibly shoot there?

Dobson wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:Flevoland in Nederlands confirmed to be one of the shooting locations
The filming will take place mainly along the coast of Flevoland, near Urk. It is a region of five to six kilometers. A few kilometers from the coast are also included. Warner Bros. reports that it is unknown when the actors and the director will move to the Netherlands. According to international media is that at least this summer.
http://www.nu.nl/film/4268295/nieuwe-fi ... lmeer.html
Strange, there's not a beach at all. What could they possibly shoot there?
Maybe they'll shoot on the ships, and use Urk as a backdrop?
Urk is 2 hours away from me BTW.