Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I'm so ready for this shit. I don't care if it's a full on war film centered around Dunkirk, like Saving Private Ryan, or if Dunkirk is simply a part of some bigger, more mysterious plot. I don't care, just give it to me now. For the love of God give me this movie.Image

So, that was the project he came up with as a teen? If it's true, that's certainly interesting.

the_red_ninja wrote:Quick survey: Who actually heard of Dunkirk/Dunkerque before Christmas?
Are you talking about the town/history? Well, I'd hope most of us on here have, but that's probably hoping for too much, considering U.S. history classes nowadays.

Forum Pro
Law
Now Where Was I ? wrote:The third act of The Dark Knight Rises just gave us a glimpse of what Nolan can do with a war film, he's gonna direct the hell out of it.

Only little concern could be the cheese (please no War Horse) if he somehow makes this a melodrama with families and teens but I give him the benefit of the doubt. He's Christopher Nolan after all
The beginning will be the family life of the young soldiers having to their leave mothers, fathers, siblings and loved ones. They'll get to boot camp and have to toughen up for the War and we'll probably have to follow the footsteps of Hardy's character. The story will be them finding the strength to survive and make it out alive, with the ending being the young soldiers, now men, returning home.

With a bunch of shit in between, like beautiful scenery, score and acting.

nah

Sysmatic wrote:nah

Let me guess...

Broken home, oh my dead wife, obsession, Michael Caine... what else?

Forum Pro
Law
As for the "largely unknown" cast, the movie will have a shitload of extras. Hardy, Branagh, and Rylance will most likely play ranking officers in the Army and the "young cast" will be soldiers in the platoon. Looking forward to how it all plays out though.

Do you guys think that the reaction by critics/audience members to some of the weirder elements in Interstellar (the Tesseract scene, for instance) caused Nolan to want to simplify his next project, or do you think he's made of stone and that shit don't bother him?

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:Do you guys think that the reaction by critics/audience members to some of the weirder elements in Interstellar (the Tesseract scene, for instance) caused Nolan to want to simplify his next project, or do you think he's made of stone and that shit don't bother him?
Good question.

I think the overall recognition received by Interstellar was lower than what he thought it deserved, and I would tend to agree. I guess we'll know how much it affected him when we see how much of an awards bait Dunkirk ends up being.