Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Nomis wrote:It did got the part wrong about the
Stukas being shot down at the end. Since only one was a Stuka and got shot down, by Farrier, and the other was a Messerschmitt, not a Stuka, and flew past the Moonstone after Mr Dawson and Peter made sure he couldn't dive his nose to attack.
Interesting. I myself thought it was as the article stated. I wonder how many viewers assumed the wrong thing there. The movie definitely makes it seem like that's what happens.

Oku
Nomis wrote:It did got the part wrong about the
Stukas being shot down at the end. Since only one was a Stuka and got shot down, by Farrier, and the other was a Messerschmitt, not a Stuka, and flew past the Moonstone after Mr Dawson and Peter made sure he couldn't dive his nose to attack.
How did they make sure that the Messerschmitt couldn't dive its nose to attack?

I thought it did dive its nose to attack, and that the Moonstone just successfully evaded it.
AhmadAli95 wrote:Dunkirk's marketing should've included a guide that introduces all of the planes used.
So a Messerschmitt is the yellow nosed one which just fires "bullets" (?).
A Stuka is the one with the siren which drops bombs (I think one bomb at a time).
And then we have the Heinkel which drops lots of bombs at once.
That would have been great idea.

Then they wouldn't have had to paint the Messerschmitts yellow (a glaring historical inaccuracy Mr. Nolan knew about and went ahead with anyway because he didn't want audiences to be confused at who was shooting at who).

okungnyo -
Dawson says "Wait for it.. wait till he's committed to his line."
The nose of the 109 dips down...
"NOW!"
Peter throws the wheel. The Moonstone lurches to port.

If the Moonstone had turned sooner, the 109 could have adjusted its line to strafe the Moonstone. Mr. Dawson knew (from his pilot son) about how to tell when a 109 (Messerschmidtt) was committed to the direction of its strafing run.

Historical note - Charles Lightoller and his yacht Sundowner dodged attacks from the air on their way back from picking up soldiers at Dunkirk. Lightoller also had a son in the RAF who died in the beginning of the war.

Oku
Nomis wrote:Seriously Okun, Mr Dawsons dialogue explains all.

@Ahmad: link doesn't work but there's a video showing the Heinkel HE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZd9Ocmg0tw&t=23s
dormouse7 wrote:okungnyo -
"NOW!"

If the Moonstone had turned sooner, the 109 could have adjusted its line to strafe the Moonstone. Mr. Dawson knew (from his pilot son) about how to tell when a 109 (Messerschmidtt) was committed to the direction of its strafing run.

Historical note - Charles Lightoller and his yacht Sundowner dodged attacks from the air on their way back from picking up soldiers at Dunkirk. Lightoller also had a son in the RAF who died in the beginning of the war.
So it did dive its nose to attack, and the Moonstone did successfully evade it?

Forum Pro
Law
okungnyo wrote:
Nomis wrote:Seriously Okun, Mr Dawsons dialogue explains all.

@Ahmad: link doesn't work but there's a video showing the Heinkel HE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZd9Ocmg0tw&t=23s
dormouse7 wrote:okungnyo -
"NOW!"

So it did dive its nose to attack, and the Moonstone did successfully evade it?
What the fuck is wrong with you

Oku
??

Dormouse7/dormouse7 said:
"The nose of the 109 dips down..."

In the film it looked to me like the
strafing may have just touched the side of the Moonstone but not sure if that was splinters flying or water splashing. They did avoid any serious damage. And yes, the actual screenplay says the 109's nose dips down.

I can use the Kindle Cloud reader to check the screenplay...

Dawson also says
Get ready to pull hard to port...Before he fires he'll have to lower his nose, I'll give you the signal.

And as for the damage - it may have totally missed the Moonstone. The screenplay says it strafed the water to starboard.

My sister-in-law and her husband are seeing Dunkirk today. I don't think suspense or war movies are something either of them would ever go see (or even watch on TV) but the husband's senior parents liked Dunkirk a lot and the father was in the US Navy in WWII. I guess the husband's parents convinced them to see it. I await their impressions.