Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Panapaok wrote:RUMOR: Warner Brothers Purchased a $5 Million WW2 Plane for Christopher Nolan to Crash
Christopher Nolan has been hard at work shooting Dunkirk for almost a month now and I’ve been hearing some interesting details from inside the production. Not surprisingly, the detail oriented director is shooting practically as much as possible, using real WW2 era warships at the site of the original battle in Dunkirk, France until the first week or July before moving to Holland, the U.K. and then Los Angeles.

For the unfamiliar, Dunkirk is the true story centering on the rescue of 330,000 British, French and Belgium Allied troops after Germany effectively cut off and surrounded them at the harbor of Dunkirk, France during World War 2. The operation, consisting of over 800 boats is considered by many to be the greatest military operation in the history of mankind.

To bring the amazing true story to life Nolan has enlisted an all-star cast consisting of Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy and Fionn Whitehead, with smaller roles being filled out by Aneurin Barnard, Harry Styles, James D’Arcy, Jack Lowden and Barry Keoghan.

A source tells me that Warner Brothers recently signed a five million dollar check to purchase a vintage WW2 aircraft, (possibly a German Luftwafee) which will be outfitted with IMAX cameras to be used in what are sure to be some impressive sequences in the film. And when they’re done, they are going to crash it.

Buying and crashing a five million dollar plane might seem lavish and outrageous, but the source tells me that internally Warner Brothers are expecting Dunkirk to perform similarly to Nolan’s surprise runaway hit Inception, which earned more than $825M at the box office in 2010. Does Nolan really need to destroy an important piece of history? Probably not. Will it look amazing? I’m certain it will, but in an age of convincing digital effects it seems a bit unconscionable to me.

Dunkirk is set for release on July 21, 2017, but I’m told we could get our first look via a teaser trailer attached to Suicide Squad on August 5th.
Lmao

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Panapaok wrote:RUMOR: Warner Brothers Purchased a $5 Million WW2 Plane for Christopher Nolan to Crash
Christopher Nolan has been hard at work shooting Dunkirk for almost a month now and I’ve been hearing some interesting details from inside the production. Not surprisingly, the detail oriented director is shooting practically as much as possible, using real WW2 era warships at the site of the original battle in Dunkirk, France until the first week or July before moving to Holland, the U.K. and then Los Angeles.

For the unfamiliar, Dunkirk is the true story centering on the rescue of 330,000 British, French and Belgium Allied troops after Germany effectively cut off and surrounded them at the harbor of Dunkirk, France during World War 2. The operation, consisting of over 800 boats is considered by many to be the greatest military operation in the history of mankind.

To bring the amazing true story to life Nolan has enlisted an all-star cast consisting of Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy and Fionn Whitehead, with smaller roles being filled out by Aneurin Barnard, Harry Styles, James D’Arcy, Jack Lowden and Barry Keoghan.

A source tells me that Warner Brothers recently signed a five million dollar check to purchase a vintage WW2 aircraft, (possibly a German Luftwafee) which will be outfitted with IMAX cameras to be used in what are sure to be some impressive sequences in the film. And when they’re done, they are going to crash it.

Buying and crashing a five million dollar plane might seem lavish and outrageous, but the source tells me that internally Warner Brothers are expecting Dunkirk to perform similarly to Nolan’s surprise runaway hit Inception, which earned more than $825M at the box office in 2010. Does Nolan really need to destroy an important piece of history? Probably not. Will it look amazing? I’m certain it will, but in an age of convincing digital effects it seems a bit unconscionable to me.

Dunkirk is set for release on July 21, 2017, but I’m told we could get our first look via a teaser trailer attached to Suicide Squad on August 5th.
Weirdly this is the most exciting news about this movie yet. Nolan at this point is the king of practical effects.

Panapaok wrote: Does Nolan really need to destroy an important piece of history? Probably not. Will it look amazing? I’m certain it will, but in an age of convincing digital effects it seems a bit unconscionable to me.
[/quote]
lol

Another Dutchy here living (relatively) near by Urk (where they're gonna film soon) and was also trying to find any info on casting background extra's. Everything I've found so far is in French, they've cast a shit ton of French extra's so far. With filming in Urk being so close I can't see them going through casting a bunch of Dutchies now. Either they're bringing in French folks or they've already cast all the background extra's in secret or something. They're filming in like a few weeks aren't they? Anyway been a while since I've posted here (was active around TDKR came out). Good to be back. ^^

Buying and crashing a five million dollar plane might seem lavish and outrageous, but the source tells me that internally Warner Brothers are expecting Dunkirk to perform similarly to Nolan’s surprise runaway hit Inception, which earned more than $825M at the box office in 2010.
Seems very ambitious. They must know something we don't.

fayestardust wrote:
Jacob wrote: How did you get this infromation ? Beacause i live in the Netherlands. And i wanted to attent to be a extra on the film.
I hope you understand my question.
Same.
I talked with someone who's involved in the production and he overheard it at the breakdown of the scenes that will be filmed in the Netherlands. At this breakdown the heads of production and other relevant people sit in a room to discuss and go through each scene to discuss what problems or difficulties will possibly arise. (safety concerns, difficult locations, stunts etc.) I heard that Nolan was very present during the breakdown and asks a lot of questions. Like asking if it's possible for that expensive plane to output smoke of the same color as it would if the plane
was crashed for real.
Or (like we've heard before) if something complex could be done for real.

Also, I haven't heard about casting extras in the Netherlands, all I know is that there are a few Dutch crewmembers (the lighting department is Dutch and maybe some PA's?)
Also the Dutch send the dailies to LA and back to France/the set (so Nolan en crew can watch the footage they shoot the next day), something the French couldn't get done within 24hrs, so the Dutch took that process over, because they could.

Boyd wrote:
fayestardust wrote:
Jacob wrote: How did you get this infromation ? Beacause i live in the Netherlands. And i wanted to attent to be a extra on the film.
I hope you understand my question.
Same.
Also, I haven't heard about casting extras in the Netherlands, all I know is that there are a few Dutch crewmembers (the lighting department is Dutch and maybe some PA's?)
Also the Dutch send the dailies to LA and back to France/the set (so Nolan en crew can watch the footage they shoot the next day), something the French couldn't get done within 24hrs, so the Dutch took that process over, because they could.
Protestant work ethic confirmed.

ChristNolan wrote: Interesting to note that WB sees this as potentially pulling an Inception at the box office. I would have expected Interstellar to be their goal.
I'm not surprised. They definitely know something we don't. Besides, this is classic Nolan. There's a lot more to this movie than meets the eye. Even WB themselves officially describe this movie as an "epic action thriller". Now a film like Saving Private Ryan was a war drama. WB classifies Dunkirk differently.

So my hypothesis is that the evacuation of Dunkirk is merely the setting of the film, and that the movie's actual plot will be something much more sophisticated. I mean let's think for a minute here, Nolan is never straightforward. Making an entire movie only on the evacuation of Dunkirk doesn't make sense for Nolan. It's too simple, too straightforward, and that's why I'm confident there's much more going on here. If this was only about the evacuation of Dunkirk, why film in so many different locations and countries? Why film the ENTIRE movie with a combination of 70mm IMAX film, and 65mm large format film? I mean in terms of film canvas, this is the most epic film for Nolan. 35mm is not even being used on Dunkirk. This all points to a classic Nolan magician move of keeping us intrigued, only to completely surprise and blow us away when we see the actual film itself.

Let's not forget the obvious other clue, the summer release date. Interstellar had a winter release date, an exception for a Nolan film. Dunkirk being a (typical for Nolan) summer release strongly hints it will be closer to Inception in terms of thrills, than Interstellar.

Imaginatio wrote:
ChristNolan wrote: Interesting to note that WB sees this as potentially pulling an Inception at the box office. I would have expected Interstellar to be their goal.
I'm not surprised. They definitely know something we don't. Besides, this is classic Nolan. There's a lot more to this movie than meets the eye. Even WB themselves officially describe this movie as an "epic action thriller". Now a film like Saving Private Ryan was a war drama. WB classifies Dunkirk differently.

So my hypothesis is that the evacuation of Dunkirk is merely the setting of the film, and that the movie's actual plot will be something much more sophisticated. I mean let's think for a minute here, Nolan is never straightforward. Making an entire movie only on the evacuation of Dunkirk doesn't make sense for Nolan. It's too simple, too straightforward, and that's why I'm confident there's much more going on here. If this was only about the evacuation of Dunkirk, why film in so many different locations and countries? Why film the ENTIRE movie with a combination of 70mm IMAX film, and 65mm large format film? I mean in terms of film canvas, this is the most epic film for Nolan. 35mm is not even being used on Dunkirk. This all points to a classic Nolan magician move of keeping us intrigued, only to completely surprise and blow us away when we see the actual film itself.

Let's not forget the obvious other clue, the summer release date. Interstellar had a winter release date, an exception for a Nolan film. Dunkirk being a (typical for Nolan) summer release strongly hints it will be closer to Inception in terms of thrills, than Interstellar.
I don't think it's just the setting, unless I misunderstand how you mean that. I've always thought this was going to be about all the events and the planning that was involved. There was so much to it and a lot to coordinate, and people had to cooperate and all that jazz - I hope that's what it's about. Obviously the evacuation itself is important to the story (and to history), but there's a lot of detail to be told about how it actually came about. I think that's where a lot of the "thriller" aspect of it might come from (at least I'm hoping)