Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
ChristMAX wrote:I have a theory as to how Dunkirk will begin (if indeed the prologue is the start of the film). When Fionn and Aneurin are first shown carrying the wounded soldier, what appears to be present day Dunkirk is shown in the background (the buildings appear too modern for that era - as shown below). It looks as though there may be more to the beginning of that shot. Is it a possibility that the film starts with a present day Dunkirk veteran (jogging perhaps) on the beach, and transitions to that same veteran 77 years earlier (played by either Fionn or Aneurin) as the shot moves along the beach?
*pure speculation*
That sounds great!

My only worry is that it may draw too many comparisons to Saving Private Ryan:

(skip to the 3m30s mark: https://youtu.be/0HUf68gFGEE?t=3m30s)

ChristMAX wrote:I have a theory as to how Dunkirk will begin (if indeed the prologue is the start of the film). When Fionn and Aneurin are first shown carrying the wounded soldier, what appears to be present day Dunkirk is shown in the background (the buildings appear too modern for that era - as shown below). It looks as though there may be more to the beginning of that shot. Is it a possibility that the film starts with a present day Dunkirk veteran (jogging perhaps) on the beach, and transitions to that same veteran 77 years earlier (played by either Fionn or Aneurin) as the shot moves along the beach?
*pure speculation*
Nice theory, but I don't know if Nolan would do something like that. I think the buildings looking like that is more Nolan avoiding CGI to be honest

*pure speculation*
hopefully this movie strays away from both flashbacks and flashforwards (the latter especially)

Not known to be official (maybe a cinema flyer?) so I put this here:
A Dunkirk flyer seen in Japan by @massive_ninja who translates part as "Dunkirk is the first movie based on true story for Christopher Noran to write and direct"
https://twitter.com/massive_ninja/statu ... 1014208514

Nothing we haven't seen but some people don't want to see any stills from Dunkirk
Closeup - this flyer used what I believe is a UK pap's recent photo of Harry

I really just hope that Michael Caine is one the young soldiers in the future in the movie.

User of Interest wrote:I really just hope that Michael Caine is one the young soldiers in the future in the movie.
As much as I'd like to see Michael Caine in this movie, I hope the movie starts and ends in 1940. No jumps in time, just like David Ayer's Fury.

i kinda hope this isn't anything like Fury, actually

Well, I'm sure Dunkirk will be unique and different from what has been done before, including the whole flashback/flash-forward cliche. I only mentioned "Fury" because Ayer could've shown the main character years later after the war but he didn't. Another movie I'd like to mention is "The Thin Red Line".

There are flashbacks in The Thin Red Line, though?

Dunkirk will have some flashbacks too though