Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
the_red_ninja wrote:http://www.hindustantimes.com/hollywood ... 72742.aspx
Now that you’ve become a director, will you team up with Christopher Nolan as a cinematographer?
Probably not… we have chosen our separate ways. He has a fantastic cinematographer, who is working with him. I have stopped shooting films for directors, and I’m working on my own projects. I will probably not go back.

Do you miss the times when you and Nolan worked together?
I’m always nostalgic about those days. It’s been an enormous part of my career. But once something occurs in your life and you move on, then you don’t look back. You just keep going; you appreciate it as part of your history and background. Once your kids grow up, there’s nothing you can do to make them little again (laughs).
Wally has taken himself out, so now Hoyte and Nolan can live happily ever after?
Interesting.

Bacon wrote:Part of me wants Nolan to do a smaller scale film like Memento, Insomnia, and The Prestige for his next. I love his big-budget, insanely ambitious films, but after Interstellar which was huge, part of me would love for him to add his touch to another smaller scale film. It'd be the first time he'd done a small-scale film with his huge following and the idea of Hans Zimmer scoring a film like those would be very interesting.
I don't think he'll do a smaller film any time soon, if ever. Nolan even addressed this while doing press for Interstellar. He basically said he's going to continue to do large scale films, because he loves them and may not get the chance to keep doing them. So he's taking full advantage while he can.

And I also think Nolan doesn't see his projects as "big" or "small." He sees them as stories and whatever's intriguing to him he'll do. He just so happens to often dream up stories on a grand scale.

Hopefully nolan plays the field a bit

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:Hopefully nolan plays the field a bit
Ain't how he works brah

So it seems he WON'T work with Wally again. And Nolan likes working with people repeatedly. I'm optimistic :)

Wouldn't mind Deakins or Lubezki.

josephcq wrote:Cilogy, sad, but probably true.

I honestly LOVED the cinematography in Interstellar. I think it's hard to compare to Prestige, TDK, and Inception because it was MUCH different. But that said I think we would have a very different looking space film if Wally was behind the camera on it.

I don't just mean the space shots though. The way the camera moved, the focus, the framing, throughout the film, is more stylized than the more subtle work of Pfister. I think anyway.
Are you kidding? If anything, it was less stylized than Nolan's previous work. And in total wasn't that different to what Wally had done. With a director like Nolan, who has a very specific vision, he is practically the cinematographer as well. So it's no surprise that Hoyt in a way adopted the same style as Nolan/Wally (at Nolan's request of course). It's essentially the same style just with a different person behind it.

Nolan's next should be shot entirely with 65mm, no matter what genre it is.

Nomis wrote:Nolan's next should be shot entirely with 65mm, no matter what genre it is.
I doubt it's possible in modern days, even for Nolan.

Lord Shade wrote:
Nomis wrote:Nolan's next should be shot entirely with 65mm, no matter what genre it is.
?

Both The Master and Tarantino's The Hateful 8 were shot entirely in 65mm.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:
?

Both The Master and Tarantino's The Hateful 8 were shot entirely in 65mm.
The Master wasn't. Some parts were shot in 35mm.