Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I don't see Nolan doing a western... ever.

ComptonTerry wrote:I don't see Nolan doing a western... ever.
He supposedly wants to or wanted to, though.

Oh... Really? I just can't see that being Nolan's thing. I guess we will find out.

ComptonTerry wrote:Oh... Really? I just can't see that being Nolan's thing. I guess we will find out.
Back in 2008, when TDK was making the awards rounds, Emma Thomas gave some hints to Kris Tapley as to what they wanted to do:
“The western and the superhero genre are very analogous to one another,” he said, sporting a scruffy beard that is driving wife and producing partner Emma Thomas crazy these days. “I was thinking about that while working on the film.” Ironically, WB honcho Alan Horn interrupted us at this moment. Horn boasts a considerable collection of western art, including his fair share of Frederic Remington paintings. “I hope you get an Oscar nomination for this,” I told Nolan. “Me too,” Horn said. But of course.

Thomas told me Nolan is actually interested in putting together a western, but the stars haven’t aligned for that yet. Lately, the couple has been taking a much deserved (and earned) vacation from the rat race as Nolan toils away on his latest script, an original yarn that Thomas wasn’t quick to discuss. “He has this thing where he grows a beard when he’s writing,” she said. “He has to get rid of it!”

Being a producer on the Batman franchise, Thomas has had her share of creative differences with Nolan in the past. But “he usually convinces me” otherwise, she said. She mentioned that Nolan is keen to do a horror film, something tangible and perhaps cerebral, more akin to “Jaws” than something supernatural. We chatted briefly about Nolan’s aborted Howard Hughes screenplay but she is hopeful they can revisit the project in the future, despite the success of Martin Scorsese’s “The Aviator” in 2004, which played a role in derailing Nolan’s effort.
But yeah who knows, maybe those are out of the picture now.

Interesting read, thanks

Id love a western from Nolan just to see his interpretarion of that genre. I dont think anything could beat oldschool westerns for me personally though. Still id be interested.

Nolan doing a Western movie will definitely pique my interest. So i'm game.

R. Burgundy wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:Oh... Really? I just can't see that being Nolan's thing. I guess we will find out.
Back in 2008, when TDK was making the awards rounds, Emma Thomas gave some hints to Kris Tapley as to what they wanted to do:
“The western and the superhero genre are very analogous to one another,” he said, sporting a scruffy beard that is driving wife and producing partner Emma Thomas crazy these days. “I was thinking about that while working on the film.” Ironically, WB honcho Alan Horn interrupted us at this moment. Horn boasts a considerable collection of western art, including his fair share of Frederic Remington paintings. “I hope you get an Oscar nomination for this,” I told Nolan. “Me too,” Horn said. But of course.

Thomas told me Nolan is actually interested in putting together a western, but the stars haven’t aligned for that yet. Lately, the couple has been taking a much deserved (and earned) vacation from the rat race as Nolan toils away on his latest script, an original yarn that Thomas wasn’t quick to discuss. “He has this thing where he grows a beard when he’s writing,” she said. “He has to get rid of it!”

Being a producer on the Batman franchise, Thomas has had her share of creative differences with Nolan in the past. But “he usually convinces me” otherwise, she said. She mentioned that Nolan is keen to do a horror film, something tangible and perhaps cerebral, more akin to “Jaws” than something supernatural. We chatted briefly about Nolan’s aborted Howard Hughes screenplay but she is hopeful they can revisit the project in the future, despite the success of Martin Scorsese’s “The Aviator” in 2004, which played a role in derailing Nolan’s effort.
But yeah who knows, maybe those are out of the picture now.
Holy shit. I predicted a Western or a horror movie. I'm clairvoyant.

I'm gonna go buy lottery tickets.

Aili wrote:Sorry boys. It isn't just a question of handsome, it's a question of sexy. "Jim Carrey is sooooo hot!" said NO woman EVER.

Jim Carrey's creepy and sorry but Bryan Cranston's neither hot nor sexy. Plus, Cranston made a film "Trumbo" which all the BB fanboys (and I loved BB too but come on get real) were saying he's gonna win an Oscar. Well some people went to a screening and it's mediocre at best. Probably will end up on VOD. It's gonna be impossible for Cranston to crack movies at his age. He was wonderful in BB but let's not pretend he'll ever get a role that well written again. Aint gonna happen guys.
Why hasn't this troll been banned yet?

Allstar wrote:
Aili wrote:Sorry boys. It isn't just a question of handsome, it's a question of sexy. "Jim Carrey is sooooo hot!" said NO woman EVER.

Jim Carrey's creepy and sorry but Bryan Cranston's neither hot nor sexy. Plus, Cranston made a film "Trumbo" which all the BB fanboys (and I loved BB too but come on get real) were saying he's gonna win an Oscar. Well some people went to a screening and it's mediocre at best. Probably will end up on VOD. It's gonna be impossible for Cranston to crack movies at his age. He was wonderful in BB but let's not pretend he'll ever get a role that well written again. Aint gonna happen guys.
Why hasn't this troll been banned yet?