Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
nightfury93 wrote:
okungnyo wrote:It's everywhere, really. Visit any forum thread on the movie and it's the same thing.
The Disney/Marvel circlejerk, or the anti-Dunkirk comments?
Or both? :lol:
I'm not sure about the former because I only looked at the Dunkirk threads, not threads for other movies.

But yes, on dedicated "What did you think of Dunkirk" threads, a decent chunk of them are along the same lines of the 1-star user reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.
dormouse7 wrote:I read the whole page and mainly what I saw were complaints from a good number of people about not understanding the dialogue. I do think there is a problem with the sound systems of some cinemas (or how they adjust the sound system) vs the way Nolan/Zimmer/et.al. balance the soundtrack.

My brother in law got a cinema with unintelligible dialogue. He said all of the voices sounded like adults on Peanuts "wah wah wah" and he couldn't even understand the officers on the Mole (this was a non-IMAX 70mm film showing). After his showing ended, he popped into the digital showing next door and he said the dialogue sounded fine (but he didn't want to watch it again).

I was lucky and got an IMAX 70mm with fairly clear dialogue (though to be fair, I already knew many of the harder lines like Rylance's "They want the Moonstone..." line and Alex's food-filled "Wuts wrong wi yuh fren"). My second viewing in digital had slightly less volume and was maybe a bit more clear in the dialogue.
Those two lines were among the easiest to understand in the whole movie! :P

But yeah, the dialogue is definitely unintelligible in many areas. (Even after several viewings, I still could not understand some key lines of dialogue, which were only remedied by my reading of the screenplay.)

Of course, Mr. Nolan's reasoning is that it was meant to be that way, and it definitely adds replay value, for what it's worth.

The online "backlash" for Nolan films is not new. As far as I can remember, there is always plenty of online discussion whenever a new Nolan film is released where words like "overrated", "worst", etc., are often thrown around. It happened with The Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar and will continue to happen in the future. Nothing alarming, or worrisome.

The general public is responding well enough, from what we can tell.

MyCocaine wrote:
“I felt like I’d kind of mastered that form.”

i like these 2 ... how they exchange glances

666kalpa wrote:
They were both fantastic. Seriously Tom GC is a gem. Nolan needs to work with him again.

666kalpa wrote:
The non-verbal acting between these too was spectacular. So much can be said with just one look

666kalpa wrote:
:clap: :gonf: :( :cry:

Honestly an iconic ending