Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
It's an interesting discussion to be sure. Is it only a good score when you can listen to it in its own out of the context of the film or is it's job to serve the visuals. In my opinion it's always the latter and in this case I feel it's the strongest work yet. Especially since he's infamous for overpowering the movie with his music.

I'm not an expert on the technical side of films as I tend to focus more on script, plot, character development and such when I watch movies. I think score falls more in the technical side.

With that said and without having watched the film, I tend to believe that not noticing the score is a good thing. If the score is there and it pushes your emotions the way the director intends them to go to and it fits the film, etc, then the score is good.

I can't rate it yet in context with Nolan's other work because I haven't watched the film yet, though.

Oku
Reaveybeach wrote:Just got back from seeing it, it was good! I'd give it a solid 8/10. Not his best but still very good. Funnily enough, I'm on screen in a huge way and as a tiny soldier in the distance. Im not recognizable in either of them but oh well.

One problem with the theatre I was at though, the bass was so loud the screen was actually shaking. Made still shots with that loud thumping heartbeat very distracting.

I guess I'll speak to you all again in 2-3 years when Nolan's next film comes out.
How can you be "on screen in a huge way" but still not recognizable?

Was your back towards the camera or something?

Finally i got invested in a war movie... thanks to Nolan :D

Now i need howard hughes musical.... :P

okungnyo wrote:
Reaveybeach wrote:Just got back from seeing it, it was good! I'd give it a solid 8/10. Not his best but still very good. Funnily enough, I'm on screen in a huge way and as a tiny soldier in the distance. Im not recognizable in either of them but oh well.

One problem with the theatre I was at though, the bass was so loud the screen was actually shaking. Made still shots with that loud thumping heartbeat very distracting.

I guess I'll speak to you all again in 2-3 years when Nolan's next film comes out.

Yup. The moment the Heinkel turns around for a second strafing run ("he's coming back around!"), igniting the oil, there is a shot of a soldier watching the plane turn towards the ship. It's zoomed in with the plane in-focus and the soldier's head out of focus even though the soldier's head takes up almost the entire screen. That's my head. I'm also in the distance shots of the oil igniting, climbing on the Moonstone. I could see me walk over the ship towards the upper deck.

That's awesome dude!

Nomis, what about you?

Oku
Reaveybeach wrote:
okungnyo wrote:

Yup. The moment the Heinkel turns around for a second strafing run ("he's coming back around!"), igniting the oil, there is a shot of a soldier watching the plane turn towards the ship. It's zoomed in with the plane in-focus and the soldier's head out of focus even though the soldier's head takes up almost the entire screen. That's my head. I'm also in the distance shots of the oil igniting, climbing on the Moonstone. I could see me walk over the ship towards the upper deck.
That indeed is awesome.

How did you know it was your head, though, and not any other extra's?