Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Posts: 356
Joined: November 2014
https://www.cinemascore.com/

Dunkirk has an "A-"

(also worth noting Girls Trip has an A+ :lol: )

EDIT: Just checked... apparently Transformers: The Last Night has a B+ Cinemascore :shock:

User avatar
Posts: 3830
Joined: August 2009
Location: a galaxy far far away

Posts: 51
Joined: July 2017
okungnyo wrote:
Cocal wrote: While watching I kept having thoughts like
did tommy manages to go to the bathroom!?
Yeah, did he go or not?

If he went, then that means he didn't wipe, which he went through the entire movie with leftover poo on his butt.

If he didn't go, then that means he probably went when the torpedo hit, which is even more gross.
It's one of those things where I understand why it's in the film, but I personally would have preferred if it hadn't been.
It kinda ties in with one problem I had with the film - The feeling of time passing, or rather lack thereof. It's stated that
The Mole part is a whole week but to me it felt like a day, maybe two. Was there like a little timejump when they were sleeping on the beach or what?
To be fair, I only watched it once, but I can't tell when one day was supposed to turn into the next.
Did anyone else feel like what was shown didn't really match up to the timespan it was said to cover?

Posts: 95
Joined: March 2015

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3567
Joined: May 2012
Cocal wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
Cocal wrote: While watching I kept having thoughts like
did tommy manages to go to the bathroom!?
Yeah, did he go or not?

If he went, then that means he didn't wipe, which he went through the entire movie with leftover poo on his butt.

If he didn't go, then that means he probably went when the torpedo hit, which is even more gross.
It's one of those things where I understand why it's in the film, but I personally would have preferred if it hadn't been.
It kinda ties in with one problem I had with the film - The feeling of time passing, or rather lack thereof. It's stated that
The Mole part is a whole week but to me it felt like a day, maybe two. Was there like a little timejump when they were sleeping on the beach or what?
To be fair, I only watched it once, but I can't tell when one day was supposed to turn into the next.
Did anyone else feel like what was shown didn't really match up to the timespan it was said to cover?
I agree that the sea portion felt like a day, and the air portion felt like an hour, but the mole portion felt like only two days, not a week.

Maybe the time skip occurs when that private wakes up and is taken aboard on the officers' ship?

That scene is probably the last day of the evacuation, i.e. like five days later in the chronological timeline.

Posts: 51
Joined: July 2017
okungnyo wrote:
I agree that the sea portion felt like a day, and the air portion felt like an hour, but the mole portion felt like only two days, not a week.

Maybe the time skip occurs when that private wakes up and is taken aboard on the officers' ship?

That scene is probably the last day of the evacuation, i.e. like five days later in the chronological timeline.
Hmm. You're probably right. But it feels a little lame to say 'a week' and then do that..

User avatar
Posts: 2577
Joined: June 2016
Here's a pictures-of-text tweet I saw explaining the timelines. I still need to watch the video in posts above and compare to what this says.
SPOILER FREE INFO ON UNDERSTANDING THE TIME LINE OF DUNKIRK.Might help if the story left you confused or you're seeing it for the first time
https://twitter.com/stolenconcert/statu ... 8437264389

For convenience, here are the actual pictures of text from the tweet (helpful and not rspoilery - explains timelines) Spoiler'd only for slow connections because it's a group of images:
Image
Image
Image
----

And an article by Screenrant that covers the following (and has Spoilers):
The Timelines Explained (This Page)
The Mole and The Sea Ending Explained
The Air, Tom Hardy's Fate and Historical Context Explained
http://screenrant.com/dunkirk-ending-ti ... -captured/
Last edited by dormouse7 on July 22nd, 2017, 1:09 pm, edited 9 times in total.

User avatar
Posts: 1072
Joined: November 2012
Seated and waiting to start. Lets do this :thumbup:

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3567
Joined: May 2012
dormouse7 wrote:Here's a pictures-of-text tweet I saw explaining the timelines. I still need to watch the video in posts above and compare to what this says.
https://twitter.com/stolenconcert/statu ... 8437264389

For convenience, the actual pictures of text:
Image
Image
Image
----

And an article by Screenrant that covers:
The Timelines Explained (This Page)
The Mole and The Sea Ending Explained
The Air, Tom Hardy's Fate and Historical Context Explained
http://screenrant.com/dunkirk-ending-ti ... -captured/
I feel like an infographic would work better.

The first person to make one like this, but for Dunkirk, will have his/her infographic spread across the Internet and become Internet-famous:

Image
Lionheart wrote:Seated and waiting to start. Lets do this :thumbup:
:gonf:

User avatar
Posts: 2577
Joined: June 2016

Post Reply