Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I should've clarified my irritation is mostly caused not by studios trying to make money (which is all fair, considering what Dunkirk must've cost and the fact that I want it to do good), but more like by other movie fans or just people who push this sort of outlook or sometimes even imply they're "better" fans for being able (or travelling) to see this in 15/70.

Vader182 wrote:Conversely, the more attention this stuff gets in the media the more likely it is local theaters will buy into 70mm equipment.

-Vader
we can only hope

it’s one thing for Nolan and Tarantino to push the format heavily, but if there’s only one 70mm release every year theaters ain’t gonna spend money on it

There's only one IMAX cinema in my country and I've no idea if they're 70mm or laser because it doesn't say anywhere, since it's literally the only one lmao. I legit called the cinema and asked and the person that picked up the phone had no idea. I tried google and it I found one source saying it was 70mm and one source saying it was dual projection. Of course, it hasn't been updated since 2011 so *shrugs*. For all I know it's strictly laser now, or if it's dual projection, how do I know ahead of time which format they'll use? I think the closest IMAX other than this one is in Brazil, which is a three-days drive from where I am. Not gonna happen.

On the flip side, this IMAX is a 20-minute drive from where I live and it's guaranteed that Dunkirk will be shown there, so at least I have that possibility and I won't have to see it in a crap cinema.

Ruth wrote:I should've clarified my irritation is mostly caused not by studios trying to make money (which is all fair, considering what Dunkirk must've cost and the fact that I want it to do good), but more like by other movie fans or just people who push this sort of outlook or sometimes even imply they're "better" fans for being able (or travelling) to see this in 15/70.
It's kind of a frustrating fact that the only way to fully experience a Nolan movie is in 15/70 IMAX or Laser IMAX. Nothing you or I or our respective proximity to those venues will change this. More than anything, though, I think it's something to take up with C Nolan himself. He is intentionally making movies with choices specifically built around a 15/70mm viewing format. The Dark Knight is the only Nolan movie where regular theaters capture the essence of the film and IMAX merely enhanced it. TDKR and Interstellar, I feel, are objectively worse movies outside of a real IMAX theater.

-Vader

And what Vader just said is precisely my issue with the whole thing. If Nolan wants to throw his weight around and do something about the fact there are so few 15/70 theater's then I think he should do that and put his money where his mouth is. Otherwise, he's kind of just rubbing it in people's faces by creating films that people don't get to fully absorb and appreciate.

That's not to say he shouldn't make them, but surely he could use his influence to increase the number of venues one might be able to see his masterpieces in.

Forum Pro
Law

That article should've spoiler tagged. Not cool.

Shady1 wrote:And what Vader just said is precisely my issue with the whole thing. If Nolan wants to throw his weight around and do something about the fact there are so few 15/70 theater's then I think he should do that and put his money where his mouth is. Otherwise, he's kind of just rubbing it in people's faces by creating films that people don't get to fully absorb and appreciate.

That's not to say he shouldn't make them, but surely he could use his influence to increase the number of venues one might be able to see his masterpieces in.
There is not much he can do about that. Theater owners are not willing to pay for purpose-built IMAX screens (15/70 or Laser). They are very expensive to build. But I do think the movie industry should have been pushing that format instead of bullshit 3D gimmicks.

What's done is done though. They followed Cameron down the 3D path by paying out the wazoo for 3D projection when they could have spent that money on a real giant IMAX. Sucks for the consumer, but that is the reality we are in now. 1.43:1 IMAX is going to continue becoming a more and more rare experience as time goes by.

Late, but I agree with Ruth. I wondered if people were being discouraged from going to see it if they don't have IMAX or 70mm in their area. When King of Prussia IMAX pulled (we now know temporarily) its IMAX showings, I bought backup tickets at a regular screen in my local cinema for the first showing Thursday July 20th, and I had my pick of seats because not a single seat had been sold yet.

And I am amazed that even now, when tickets for all formats are on sale, the dunkirkmovie.com Buy Tickets page only allows you to filter for or click on 70mm, 70mm IMAX (or apparently where available, 35mm film) and all other cinemas showing Dunkirk are ghosted blue markers on the map that you cannot click on.