Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
dormouse7 wrote:
Bacon wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:And there were a number of Harry-centric articles about the trailer (many of which had never seen the TV spot w/ the same clip of him swimming to an outreached arm).
Why mention this? Is this supposed to be a good thing or a notable thing?

Even so, what is the point of this? There's not a point to focusing on a single shot even they hadn't seen the TV spot one. Why center an entire article around a supporting actor with a single frame in the trailer? Why not....make an article about the trailer?
a. Because I was posting an article about Dunkirk topping social media discussions and we do tweet those articles around.

b. But mainly because I mistakenly thought the following discussion was in this thread, and I thought it was relevant to this discussion:
okungnyo wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote: I think the first glimpses of Harry Styles definitely helped in the views for the previous trailer. A lot of articles kind of made a big deal about it in their headlines. He's barely in this new one.
Possibly. It's still unproven whether Mr. Styles' musical fanbase will make a meaningful difference opening weekend.

I guess we'll see come July 24 when the box office demographic results are in.
Next time I just won't bother posting any articles about Dunkirk topping social media. Somebody else can find them. I saw it because it was tweeted by a Styles fan.

And as for your question Bacon - sites like Billboard, Vanity Fair and Perez Hilton are not going to make an article just about the Dunkirk trailer. Dunkirk is only getting those articles because of Harry Styles.
Please do keep posting the articles. A lot of us appreciate it. (Well, at least, I do.)

But back to the news, this is super impressive. The Dark Tower trailer was released two days earlier than the Dunkirk trailer, and has 5 million more views, but Dunkirk still managed to beat it by 28,000 conversations!

Of course, as I said before social media activity can be a deceptive measure. It could be that Mr. Styles fans love sharing GIFs of Mr. Styles' acting scenes from the comfort of their homes, but have no interest in actually showing up to the theater opening weekend.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

Fans want to see and hear Harry. I think many fans will show up at the box office unless they hear he's not in it much.

Oku
dormouse7 wrote:Fans want to see and hear Harry. I think many fans will show up at the box office unless they hear he's not in it much.
Well, yeah. Water is wet until evaporates. :lol:

okungnyo wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:Fans want to see and hear Harry. I think many fans will show up at the box office unless they hear he's not in it much.
Don't worry about it. If Nolan had cast an actual unknown in that spot then that person wouldn't be bringing anybody to the cinemas. I think plenty of fans will go. They are getting a ton of Harry right now but by July they should be plenty hungry again.

Oku
dormouse7 wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
Don't worry about it. If Nolan had cast an actual unknown in that spot then that person wouldn't be bringing anybody to the cinemas. I think plenty of fans will go. They are getting a ton of Harry right now but by July they should be plenty hungry again.
Right on. Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo husband.

ImageImageImageImage
few new scenes from the new TV spot

Nice scenes - thanks!

dormouse7 wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
Ugh. Look, I like Harry and everything, but we've heard this shit a million times already, at this point it pretty much reeks of entitlement or some kind of superiority. :roll: How did Nolan get by without the help of Harry for so long :roll:

Ruth - what? Okungnyo has been repeatedly concerned that Harry fans might not actually show up at the box office. I said, if an unknown had been cast instead of Harry, they would not be bringing anyone to the box office (and I mean that innately, not counting promo spots, trailers, articles, etc). So why bother worrying whether Harry fans will show up.

I am not dissing the unknowns. I look forward to seeing Fionn and Tom G-C. But had I not seen them in clips and articles, I would not know who they were and they would not be a draw.

---

I was wrong earlier about social conversations totals. 808,000 conversations on social media was cumulative.

The week of the first full trailer had 313,000 new conversations, with cumulative of 603,832.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/chris ... 201945224/

The week of the 3rd trailer had 52,000 new conversations, with cumulative of 808,000.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/chris ... 202418620/

So this trailer did not generate as many new conversations. Maybe that's because it dropped on a Friday? What day of the week did the first full trailer drop?