Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
OVERMAN wrote:
genloovers wrote:I have a feeling this movie may be a major letdown. Probably the worst rated Nolan movie ever. :|
It's absolutely going to be a major letdown but probably not his worst rated movie, I reckon it's actually going to be the oposite of what happened with Interstellar. Where that movie actually deserved a bit more critical praise for it's ambition in the sci-fi genre this one is going to get more praise than it deserves simply because of how safe it will be, I think it's probably going to be in the 80s or even 90s in RT, ironically because of how bloody unambitious it'll be (big set pieces and IMAX are not everything that account for ambition in film). Obviously people around here won't hesitate to call it a master piece no matter what and critics simply love these kind of unremarkable, coward films nowadays so we might even get to see a ridiculous lobbying campaign to give him his first Oscar as director, who knows...

Way I see it, Dunkirk is going to be that film that comes with a stupid dick-sucking season for the director and actors and then, 10 years later everyone will go: That's by far Nolan's most unexceptional film, overrated. Hopefully by then he has stopped feeling so "comfortable" with the type of films he's doing.
I feel like only people with names like "OVERMAN" can come up with these kinds of cocksure posts that are also completely baseless.

"coward films"

-Vader

Oku
Sysmatic wrote:Click on the guy's username. Click on Add foe. Et voila, profit!
What does that do?

Innovator wrote:
okungnyo wrote:And to the people skeptical of this rumor, wasn't this person correct twice about when the TV spots would air?
You know what, not necessarily. He gave us extended, broad air dates that he kept changing, and I believe both times the TV spots aired later than expected. He also never acknowledges our posts when we ask him to share where or how he got his information.

He's often being negative without any merit behind it, and his "rumor" doesn't make any sense.
I said they would attach spots to the NCAA games as well as NBA Playoffs. Everyone here laughed it off and said they wouldn't show spots that early. I rest my case. 8-)

As for the negative responses inside the studio, that's a whole different story and doesn't represent what I or anyone here should think of the film. Remember, there were people who hated Interstellar (it got a lot of negative reviews) while I thought it was great.

Oku
genloovers wrote:
Innovator wrote:
okungnyo wrote:And to the people skeptical of this rumor, wasn't this person correct twice about when the TV spots would air?
You know what, not necessarily. He gave us extended, broad air dates that he kept changing, and I believe both times the TV spots aired later than expected. He also never acknowledges our posts when we ask him to share where or how he got his information.

He's often being negative without any merit behind it, and his "rumor" doesn't make any sense.
I said they would attach spots to the NCAA games as well as NBA Playoffs. Everyone here laughed it off and said they wouldn't show spots that early. I rest my case. 8-)

As for the negative responses inside the studio, that's a whole different story and doesn't represent what I or anyone here should think of the film. Remember, there were people who hated Interstellar (it got a lot of negative reviews) while I thought it was great.
They also played the TV spots on Fargo, but you didn't say anything about that.

I guess why people are so skeptical of your claims is that it's just so completely out of left field.

Has there ever been a rumor of a WB insider talking negatively about any one of Mr. Nolan's films pre-release since he started working with them 15 years ago?

A critic who got to see it early and talking negatively is one thing. But you say it's a WB insider.

We want to believe you. Can you provide some more convincing proof?

Forum Pro
Law
Kid is a clown just like every other member that joined here with the intent to troll

What's the over/under on Dunkirk doing an early IMAX release? And what date do we think it would get released early on. I need to travel to see this film and need to plan accordingly.

Forum Pro
Law
TeddyBlass wrote:What's the over/under on Dunkirk doing an early IMAX release? And what date do we think it would get released early on. I need to travel to see this film and need to plan accordingly.
Well it's almost certainly playing in IMAX the Tuesday or Wednesday before the Friday release

Forbes: Summer Movie Preview Part II: 'Dunkirk,' 'Valerian' And The Risky Bets

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 5a4843282d
Dunkirk (July 21)

Yes, yes, it's a Chris Nolan film released by Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. in their once-definitive late July summer slot. But it's not an outer-space time-travel fantasy with Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain nor is it a Leonardo DiCaprio-fronted heist action movie set in the world of dreams. It's also not a Batman movie, but you knew that. It's a somewhat star-free (sorry Tom Hardy) and fantasy-free narrative concerning attempts to evacuate trapped Allied World War II soldiers (code-named Operation Dynamo and referred to as the Miracle of Dunkirk) who were cornered by the Nazis in late May/early June of 1940. All due respect to the likes of Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh and Cillian Murphy, the biggest "star" is One Direction musician Harry Styles.

Dunkirk is going to be a test to see how much the very expensive name that is Chris Nolan's name on the poster is worth where there isn't much else to sell. I have little doubt that the picture, shot mostly with IMAX and 65mm cameras, will be a quality motion picture. But it is one of a bazillion recent World War II movies. Can it be the definitive counterprogramming option of the summer and become just the sixth (including Captain America) World War II movie to top $300m worldwide? Maybe, but (unless it's unexpectedly cheap thanks to a lack of stars and/or various tax rebates and the like), it's not a guaranteed mega-hit no matter how much we flocked to Inception, Interstellar and The Dark Knight.

Regrettably I've been saying as much for years since it was an announced project. I was hoping the marketing would sell something special and unique, but that hasn't happened.

The PROLOGUE is the best marketing by far. Which, of course, most people haven't seen.

-Vader