Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
DudeBro wrote:
okungnyo wrote:So...Hacksaw Ridge (2016) got six Oscar nominations, which does not bode well for Dunkirk's Oscar chances.

The Academy hates giving Big Five nominations to blockbusters from the same genre two years in a row: ("Big Five" = the prestigious categories: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Adapted/Original Screenplay)

2013: sci-fi (Gravity)
2014: war (American Sniper), NO to sci-fi (which explains the Interstellar snub)
2015: sci-fi (The Martian)
2016: war (Hacksaw Ridge)
2017: NO to war

See how there's always an off-year between the same genres?

The July 21, 2017 release date won't help, because of "recency bias" (Oscar voters being more likely to vote for movies released in November/December because they're fresher in their minds).

Hell or High Water (2016) got only four nominations, despite having universal acclaim (96% on Rotten Tomatoes and 88 on Metacritic).

And all because of that release date; because it was released in August and not the more favorable November/December.

Sucks that the Oscars are like this, but that's how it is.

(Sorry for that over-analysis/rant. I guess I'm still sore from the Interstellar snub.)
Sorry, but this just isn't that great. What about Arrival this year? Sci-fi....
I said the Academy hates doing it, not that they would never do it.

Besides, Arrival is a mid-budget ($47 million) slow burn sci-fi drama.

Gravity/Interstellar/The Martian, on the other hand, are big-budget ($100/165/108 million) space action movies.

When I wrote "sci-fi" in my previous post, I was more referring to the "space action" type. "Sci-fi" is too broad of an umbrella.

But I do get your point. Let's hope that the Academy voters see enough difference in Dunkirk to set it apart from Hacksaw Ridge.

dormouse7 wrote:I wonder what Google uses to decide which actors to show under a movie. A Google search for Dunkirk 2017 currently brings up the following sidebar for me and another fan who pointed it out. I wonder if that is "personalized" in some way since those are obviously the three cast members I have searched Google for the most, in that order. Someone else try and see what you get.

Just checked. I get the same three actors in the same order no matter which browser or VPN I use. I get the same results in the Incognito mode, too. My guess is Google just picks the most popular actors in searches, which makes sense.

Wait. There's a 1958 film named Dunkirk?

Havoc1st wrote:Wait. There's a 1958 film named Dunkirk?
There was also an event iirc.

Havoc1st wrote:Wait. There's a 1958 film named Dunkirk?
Got it for quite a while, not sure when I'm going to watch it lol

Yes - it was on Youtube for a while (free) but I believe the free copy got pulled.
Here is a trailer:

It was directed by Leslie Norman and stars Bernard Lee, John Mills and Richard Attenborough. Attenborough's grandson is in Nolan's Dunkirk.

The 1958 film was based on the book The Big Pick-Up and this is a description of the film:
"A group of soldiers lead by Corporal "Tubby" Bins (John Mills), stranded in France, must make their way to the shores of Dunkirk in hopes of a rescue. Back in Britain, Charles Foreman (Bernard Lee), a newspaper reporter, desperately tries to raise awareness among the public of the horrible reality of the war. When the British navy calls for all civilian ships to aid in a rescue, Foreman takes out his own small boat and attempts to bring Tubby and his men home safely."

I watched the film - It focuses on one group of soldiers and the yacht. It starts outside of Dunkerque and I think about 1/2 of the film follows the soldiers making their way to Dunkerque, running into Germans, seeing the fleeing populace gunned down. I won't describe the whole film but the film does not follow any boat across the strait. It just magically jumps to arriving in England once the yacht leaves Dunkerque.

And it was also a real event. Both films are named after the event the British called Dunkirk, aka the evacuation of Dunkirk, aka Operation Dynamo. The French name for the town (which is in France) is Dunkerque.

Nolan's film is an original screenplay (written by Nolan), based on interviews and written recollections of Dunkirk veterans, known history, etc. It appears that Nolan's film will start inside Dunkerque and will follow at least one boat's probably-dangerous trip across the strait and back to England.

Location: You'll find me in the region of the summer stars✶*¨*✫

I thought it could be a scene at the trainstation. Children seeing there fathers/brothers again, or perhaps even children waiting for those who never came back.

fyi - IMDb forums/messaging are shutting down Feb 20. Even with the frequent crazy threads, I enjoyed IMDb. I think I managed to copy off my Set Photos & Articles thread.

Oku
WhatCulture's "20 Predictions For 2017's Rotten Tomatoes Scores": http://whatculture.com/film/20-predicti ... es?page=16
6. Dunkirk (93%)

Predicted Critical Consensus: "Christopher Nolan characteristically delivers with a bleak, superbly-acted and visually impeccable war film that stands confidently among the classics."

Nolan's filmography is strongly acclaimed on the whole, and with the insane amount of talent behind this one, it's hard to imagine him screwing it up.

The less-ambitious nature of its grounded war-time premise should ensure stronger reviews than his divisive Interstellar (which scored a disappointingly-but-still-good 71%), as there's simply less room for Nolan to get hyper-convoluted or allow his reach to exceed his grasp.

This could be the movie that not only brings Nolan some of his strongest acclaim but finally gets him fully embraced by the Academy.
For comparison, their summer 2016 list: http://whatculture.com/film/25-predicti ... oes-scores