Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
dormouse7 wrote:I think it's superstition, backed up by a small pattern. I am not worried about a war movie being nominated. I'll be worried if Hacksaw Ridge wins Best Picture or Best Director.
Yeah, same. I can't see HR winning in important categories. La La Land probably will win most of the them.

dormouse7 wrote:I think it's superstition, backed up by a small pattern. I am not worried about a war movie being nominated. I'll be worried if Hacksaw Ridge wins Best Picture or Best Director.
It won't.

Oku
Darkline wrote:
Yeah, same. I can't see HR winning in important categories. La La Land probably will win most of the them.
I don't think it will either, but that's not the point, because a nomination alone is enough to set the off-year rule into motion.

Gravity only won in the major category of Best Director, and American Sniper didn't win in any major categories.

Dunkirk will smash the superstitious rules.

I wonder what Google uses to decide which actors to show under a movie. A Google search for Dunkirk 2017 currently brings up the following sidebar for me and another fan who pointed it out. I wonder if that is "personalized" in some way since those are obviously the three cast members I have searched Google for the most, in that order. Someone else try and see what you get.

pretty sure it's decided by one of google's algorithms

Yes - but I wondered if it was personal (MY favorites in the cast) or whether it's based on the general public, since I would expect Tom Hardy to be first based on who the general public searches about the most.

I did find an interesting Google way to compare Harry & Hardy's level/locale of celebrity. Harry is historically more popular (fo searches) and Hardy is occasionally and recently more popular. Also they are popular in the same countries except Tom Hardy has popularity in the Ukraine/Lithuania and Harry does not.

https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q ... om%20Hardy

Dunno why, I feel like all this premature Oscar talk may give the movie bad luck. :lol: The Academy and Nolan have a strange relationship, but then again Nolan doesn't do "conventional" films.

When should we start hearing rumblings about the movie being possibly screened to studio executives? I think Nolan had an early cut of Interstellar ready in March, right? Or June? I don't recall exactly, maybe I'm making stuff up.

Oku
Innovator wrote:Dunno why, I feel like all this premature Oscar talk may give the movie bad luck. :lol: The Academy and Nolan have a strange relationship, but then again Nolan doesn't do "conventional" films.

When should we start hearing rumblings about the movie being possibly screened to studio executives? I think Nolan had an early cut of Interstellar ready in March, right? Or June? I don't recall exactly, maybe I'm making stuff up.
Yeah, we've probably jinxed it. :oops:

And I bet it already has been screened to executives already.

We just haven't heard about it because it's not a franchise/superhero movie so the level of interest is not as high.

okungnyo wrote:So...Hacksaw Ridge (2016) got six Oscar nominations, which does not bode well for Dunkirk's Oscar chances.

The Academy hates giving Big Five nominations to blockbusters from the same genre two years in a row: ("Big Five" = the prestigious categories: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Adapted/Original Screenplay)

2013: sci-fi (Gravity)
2014: war (American Sniper), NO to sci-fi (which explains the Interstellar snub)
2015: sci-fi (The Martian)
2016: war (Hacksaw Ridge)
2017: NO to war

See how there's always an off-year between the same genres?

The July 21, 2017 release date won't help, because of "recency bias" (Oscar voters being more likely to vote for movies released in November/December because they're fresher in their minds).

Hell or High Water (2016) got only four nominations, despite having universal acclaim (96% on Rotten Tomatoes and 88 on Metacritic).

And all because of that release date; because it was released in August and not the more favorable November/December.

Sucks that the Oscars are like this, but that's how it is.

(Sorry for that over-analysis/rant. I guess I'm still sore from the Interstellar snub.)
Sorry, but this just isn't that great. What about Arrival this year? Sci-fi....