Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
It's just a really exciting project and I love that we're (once again) so in the dark

Shady1 wrote:
I don't think it's just the setting, unless I misunderstand how you mean that. I've always thought this was going to be about all the events and the planning that was involved. There was so much to it and a lot to coordinate, and people had to cooperate and all that jazz - I hope that's what it's about. Obviously the evacuation itself is important to the story (and to history), but there's a lot of detail to be told about how it actually came about. I think that's where a lot of the "thriller" aspect of it might come from (at least I'm hoping)
Yes that's partially what I was referring to. No doubt the behind-the-scenes planning of the evacuation will likely be a big part of the film. The other main idea I was referring to is that related to the planning and the evacuation, the main plot could be an original idea woven into the historical setting/event. For example, possibly some spy or double-cross story aspects which could explain the "epic action thriller" description from WB.

I'm willing to bet, due to the genre description and Inception expectations, that this film will have a very similar feel to Inception. That is to say, like mentioned in the previous posts, the film will revolve around an ensemble that have to devise and set up a massive plan (or heist in Inception's case) and then said plan will be carried out. I think the only difference will be that we will have a set of characters within the mess that we follow as well as those behind the scenes.

ChristNolan wrote:I'm willing to bet, due to the genre description and Inception expectations, that this film will have a very similar feel to Inception. That is to say, like mentioned in the previous posts, the film will revolve around an ensemble that have to devise and set up a massive plan (or heist in Inception's case) and then said plan will be carried out. I think the only difference will be that we will have a set of characters within the mess that we follow as well as those behind the scenes.
Maybe the leads (Fionn & Harry ?) will have to undertake a plan so as to make the evacuation possible. The movie will focus to that, while the battle and the evacuation of Dunkirk will serve as the backdrop of the story.

Panapaok wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:I'm willing to bet, due to the genre description and Inception expectations, that this film will have a very similar feel to Inception. That is to say, like mentioned in the previous posts, the film will revolve around an ensemble that have to devise and set up a massive plan (or heist in Inception's case) and then said plan will be carried out. I think the only difference will be that we will have a set of characters within the mess that we follow as well as those behind the scenes.
Maybe the leads (Fionn & Harry ?) will have to undertake a plan so as to make the evacuation possible. The movie will focus to that, while the battle and the evacuation of Dunkirk will serve as the backdrop of the story.
This is definitely how I see it happening. We know a lot about the evacuation itself, but the plotting and planning must have been absolutely massive...I'd love it if he explores that aspect of it. It's one of the reasons I feel like the whole "R rating" that people are whining about is irrelevant. i just don't think this film is going to be focused on the gore, you can see that in any war drama. This, as far as I can tell, is going to be more unique.

Boyd wrote:
fayestardust wrote:
Jacob wrote: How did you get this infromation ? Beacause i live in the Netherlands. And i wanted to attent to be a extra on the film.
I hope you understand my question.
Same.
I talked with someone who's involved in the production and he overheard it at the breakdown of the scenes that will be filmed in the Netherlands. At this breakdown the heads of production and other relevant people sit in a room to discuss and go through each scene to discuss what problems or difficulties will possibly arise. (safety concerns, difficult locations, stunts etc.) I heard that Nolan was very present during the breakdown and asks a lot of questions. Like asking if it's possible for that expensive plane to output smoke of the same color as it would if the plane
was crashed for real.
Or (like we've heard before) if something complex could be done for real.

Also, I haven't heard about casting extras in the Netherlands, all I know is that there are a few Dutch crewmembers (the lighting department is Dutch and maybe some PA's?)
Also the Dutch send the dailies to LA and back to France/the set (so Nolan en crew can watch the footage they shoot the next day), something the French couldn't get done within 24hrs, so the Dutch took that process over, because they could.
Hey, Boyd. if you could get any info about extra's let us know asap!

Ik hoor van je! ;)

Zo snel als je iets te weten komt graag! :D :D :D

Nou, best wat Nederlanders toch :lol:

We should stop speaking Dutch though.

Any news regarding any teaser?

Biribiri wrote:Any news regarding any teaser?
There are talks it's going to be attached to Suicide Squad.