Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
MyCocaine wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:Let's be honest, people. Even Interstellar didn't get too much, though there were a wide marketing company, no serious competition in box-office, an all-star cast, and Nolan's name on the height of its power. Do you seriously think that Dunkirk, even rated PG-13, might score more than Interstellar? I think even Nolan understands that the film won't top $500 millions, that's why he's putting his own money in this.
He's putting his own money in this through Syncopy by putting up a certain percentage of the production budget. It's sounds noble but if successful Nolan and wife will get a bigger chunk of the BO. He's not doing it so that the studio will save money.

Also, Interstellar had plenty of competition in Big Hero 6 and Hunger Games. The fact that an original film despite being almost 3 hours long earned $675 million speaks for itself. Interstellar was a massive success especially for Nolan, who got away with $100 million.

Lastly, nobody is saying Dunkirk will make the same as Interstellar did.
Ok, but I'm just quotting the woman who is attached to the production here. "This is a project on which he is invested. He invests his own money by himself, his wife is also invested on the subject." http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/ ... 93909.html So, she said not 'through Syncopy', she said 'by himself'.

Hunger Games was released pretty long after Interstellar, so it wasn't a competition, especially considering that the movie's target audiences was completely different. Also consider that IMAX hold on all their screens for Interstellar even when HG was released. I agree about Big Hero 6, but it's surely not the hardest competition this movie could face.
I agree that Interstellar was a success, but it was huge in no way. It was a success for Nolan (yeah, $90 millions :thumbup: ), but the studio only learned $47 millions from it.
But, the idea of what I'm talking about, is in the woman's words. If she tells the truth, it sounds like the money is the last thing Nolan cares about on Dunkirk. It's "about his soul", not about money. So, the movie won't top the $500 millions, and Nolan will be fine with it.

"Hollywood accounting". Never trust their "profits"

I can care less about the release date. Nolan is filthy rich, im not, im just a viewer and all i give a shit about is my personal experience of watching Dunkirk. I don't care if it's July, November, December, a monday, a tuesday, a fuckin Wednesday.

At least we'll have an interesting film to look forward to that summer. This last summer was fucking awful, excuse my french.

I hope Nolan doesn't shy away from using french actors and having them speak french. Or germans

shauner111 wrote:I can care less about the release date. Nolan is filthy rich, im not, im just a viewer and all i give a shit about is my personal experience of watching Dunkirk. I don't care if it's July, November, December, a monday, a tuesday, a fuckin Wednesday.

At least we'll have an interesting film to look forward to that summer. This last summer was fucking awful, excuse my french.
Your French is perfect, you should audition for Dunkirk. :lol:

:lol:

thrice wrote:"Hollywood accounting". Never trust their "profits"

But it was Deadline's own calculations about Interstellar, not a WB's black accounting.

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/dunke ... 88n3255690
The same north French newspaper published an article about plans of Christopher Nolan's crew. And Nolan wants to build exactly the same pier as it was in 1940. It's really great news that Nolan wants to be extremely accurate with history. He wants to create the same atmosphere and landscapes as in 1940.

pashacules wrote:http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/dunke ... 88n3255690
The same north French newspaper published an article about plans of Christopher Nolan's crew. And Nolan wants to build exactly the same pier as it was in 1940. It's really great news that Nolan wants to be extremely accurate with history. He wants to create the same atmosphere and landscapes as in 1940.
If anyone's interested in the Google Translate results:
Dunkirk for the film by Christopher Nolan, Pier Malo could be reconstituted

To help rebuild the evacuation of thousands of soldiers of Operation Dynamo, adjustments will be required. In this context, a renovation of the outer harbor's pier is considered nearly 300 meters.

The secret is incredibly well kept, extremely disciplined troops. Like a real military operation, the future reconstruction of Dynamo by the British director Christopher Nolan conducts top secret. Yet few bits of information filter. As this proposed reconstruction of the pier Malo (which borders the outer harbor is), historical element of embarkation of May-June 1940.

This initial pier, built in 1938 and who lived in full two years he remains today only two wood dotted inaccessible to fishermen and joggers accustomed places. At the port, leased by the city for production and listening and the quality of its preparatory work, it does not deny the information. But motus. "We do not obstructive and we will with pleasure as soon as we can, but we are bound by a moral contract of confidentiality with the producer, said Daniel Deschodt, commercial director at the Grand Port Maritime de Dunkerque. And we will waive there not because we really want that this great project succeed. "

According to our information, the layout of the pier will allow the production to dock the armada of ships mobilized for reconstitution. And to shoot some scenes. Inaccuracies still hang on the project. For more options are emerging. Should the recovery be temporary or could it be sustainable? Both options are possible, but at different costs. With, ultimately, a bill to share?

Should the recovery be temporary or could it be sustainable? Both options are possible, but at different costs. With, ultimately, a bill to share?
I know it's Google Translate but wtf :D