Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
it's not bullshit, it's my opinion. In order for me to call a movie VERY dark it would probably need to give me themes of rape, racism, mutilation, torture in the name of good, child-abuse, pedophilia or incest, etc. That's VERY dark for me. And mind you, I said themes. so before you freak out again and say that I said it needs to SHOW rape or mutilation, it doesn't.

In TDK we have basically murder and terrorism. You could go as far as to add child-abuse but that's a) more of a plot point than a theme and b) it ultimately comes down to holding a kid at gunpoint. If for you that's very dark then that's where our opinions differ on what we consider VERY dark (however I am going to be more rational and I won't call your opinion "bullshit" just because it's different).

So imo, it's not VERY dark. It's moderately dark, sure. But it also doesn't need to be darker imo. TDK wouldn't gain anything by adding any of the themes I mentioned to be VERY dark. It's perfect as is!

ps. I HATE MY PHONE

Can we move this fantastic discussion about The Dark Knight over to the section for The Dark Knight?

I think with respect to the film rating question, it's a matter of what's being depicted on screen. If CN intends to show a realistic view of war, in the same vein as The Thin Red Line, Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan, then an R rating seems appropriate. Here is a CNN article from '98 where Speilberg talks about his approach to filming a story about war.

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9807/23/private.ryan/

"We're not making glamour"

"If you cheapen it, if you make it more palatable, if you somehow diminish what went on there, I think you end up doing a great disservice to what the movie as a whole is trying to communicate," Spielberg said.

That said, the rating question is dependent on knowing the story being told. Thinking about a film like Master and Commander, a film about the Napoleon war feels realistic and thrilling within its story and PG-13 rating. I think a realistic WW2 movie, with the profane language among soldiers and the likely bloody violence just fits into the 'R' ballpark.

Regardless of the rating, I'm excited about the prospect of an ensemble war story told by CN. I think any story Chris tells is done with an honest approach. Add to that his likely dedication to respecting any story based on real historic real events where honorable men and women died, the rating is moot.

I'm really hoping Chris embraces the look of the above WW2 films I mentioned - Adding 70MM IMAX to that type of look, has great potential. As an audience member you'd feel the emotion of the situation. The hardship, the cold rain and dirt, the grueling toughness....really the sacrifice made by soldiers of war.

I'm still not buying this as a straight up adaptation of the Operation Dynamo in WWII... but if it ends up being true, I couldn't be more excited. It would also raise my respects for Nolan above a worship level. I mean it takes so much courage to release this in the middle of summer in 2017, with all the blockbuster movies coming not only before but after it, Spiderman, War of the planet of the apes... WOW you have to be so incredibly confident and brave to do this. I hope he gets to re-team with Leo again.

I also can't dismiss this film ending up being a James Bond film as I have stated previously here. There was a rumor earlier this year where Nolan's next film is something he has been thinking about since he was a teenager. As a teenager in Britain I would imagine having wild Bond ideas and concepts then Operation Dynamo in WWII but who knows. I would love more for an entirely original idea and film more than anything, that's what I would be more excited for but whatever it is I couldn't be more happy and excited.

WWII huh?

Allstar wrote:If this isn't rated R Nolan is officially a pussy.
I doubt it will be but that's why I always put my Fincher sliiightly above Chris. PG-13 WWII movie ain't clicking right with me even though he may be able to pull it off.
The Taxman wrote:
Sky007 wrote:Interesting thing to note about Nolan doing a "conventional" film is that the one that is most conventional and least Nolan like is The Dark Knight and that's his most acclaimed, or popular.

But a summer war film. That's fuckin rad. The Great Escape has gotta be a touchstone then.
How could you possibly think that The Dark Knight is his most conventional when Insomnia exists?
TDK conventional? Now I've heard everything. :lol: :facepalm:

m4st4 wrote:I doubt it will be but that's why I always put my Fincher sliiightly above Chris.
Lol wait you put Fincher over Chris because of movie ratings

ChristNolan wrote:
m4st4 wrote:I doubt it will be but that's why I always put my Fincher sliiightly above Chris.
Lmao... no. :lol: But I find him more appealing to my senses because he's often pretty brutal, among all the other aspects of him as a director; same goes for Kubrick, my Forever No.1. I doubt Nolan will ever have the guts, or find it necessary, to shoot a scene like the twins from The Shining, that's not how he operates. He's also pretty removed from the sexual aspect of a human being.

m4st4 wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:
Lmao... no. :lol: But I find him more appealing to my senses because he's often pretty brutal, among all the other aspects of him as a director; same goes for Kubrick, my Forever No.1. I doubt Nolan will ever have the guts, or find it necessary, to shoot a scene like the twins from The Shining, that's not how he operates. He's also pretty removed from the sexual aspect of a human being.
Let's face it, Nolan is soft.

He won't ever make anything completely out there like PTA, Fincher, Inarritu, Scorsese ect.

He plays it safe in ways to satisfy the mainstream audience.

That's giving him far less credit than he deserves... and he deserves a lot for the sheer amount of ambition and scale he brings to his projects alone. It's just that, personally, I prefer a feistier director, but Nolan will always remain on my top list.