Alternate Timeline???

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
DotDotDotDotDash wrote:Interesting...'cept the jacket looks EXACTLY like Coop's. I think they would have given Grandpa a different one as they did with Chastain. Plus, Grandpa and Murph are never shown to have an emotional bond and therefore that shot would only have meaning if it was Coop n Murph.

Also, they are not looking at the stars, they are looking at the Endurance. And stars aren't even visible in the daytime.

Nevertheless, my question still remains (something that either people cannot fully answer or don't want to). WHY include the hand holding shot in the trailers? What purpose does it serve other than to confuse viewers? Bad choice in my opinion. A throwaway scene like the Chastain/burning corn I can understand being cut because it didn't add anything to the story and one needs to reduce running time wherever on can. It was just a different angle of the scene with her and Tom. But this…this is different.
I'm understanding you perfectly fine. How does the holding hand shot confuse viewers? As I've said, it's a shot meant to tease the core of the film. That's the purpose. That's it. There's nothing else. It has nothing to do with the plot of the film. You're putting way too much into this.

Sky007 wrote:
DotDotDotDotDash wrote:Interesting...'cept the jacket looks EXACTLY like Coop's. I think they would have given Grandpa a different one as they did with Chastain. Plus, Grandpa and Murph are never shown to have an emotional bond and therefore that shot would only have meaning if it was Coop n Murph.

Also, they are not looking at the stars, they are looking at the Endurance. And stars aren't even visible in the daytime.

Nevertheless, my question still remains (something that either people cannot fully answer or don't want to). WHY include the hand holding shot in the trailers? What purpose does it serve other than to confuse viewers? Bad choice in my opinion. A throwaway scene like the Chastain/burning corn I can understand being cut because it didn't add anything to the story and one needs to reduce running time wherever on can. It was just a different angle of the scene with her and Tom. But this…this is different.
I'm understanding you perfectly fine. How does the holding hand shot confuse viewers? As I've said, it's a shot meant to tease the core of the film. That's the purpose. That's it. There's nothing else. It has nothing to do with the plot of the film. You're putting way too much into this.
I don't think you do understand. For argument's sake let's say for a moment that it definitely isn't Coop...yet they made that shot DELIBERATELY seem like it is by having the person wear the EXACT SAME jacket (and yes it is the same and not just similar) and by not panning up all the way so we could see who it actually is. This is deliberate. If they wanted us to know it was Grandpa they would have given him his own unique look like eveybody else (Murph, Tom) and/or panned up all the way so we could see it was him. Even at the ballgame i don't think he's wearing a Carhart jacket (only a cap) even though Coop is.

I just think they didn't think we would notice/remember between the time the teaser was released and the time the movie was released. But oh no, some people did notice/remember.

The shot focuses on the holding hands and then the spaceship going up. For the record I DO think it's McConaughey, but it's clearly an image only for the teaser. I guarantee you Nolan didn't have some multiverse part of the script that he shot and then took out. That'd be amateur and it's not how he works. He comes in with an exact plan of how he's gonna do it. You're insinuating that Nolan had entire other section that collides with what the movie is and it doesn't make sense within the framework of the film and how movies are made. I guarantee it's just a shot for the teaser. I don't even know how this is up for debate.

I'm not convinced that it's the "exact" same as Cooper's jacket. We see a sleeve and not even half of the body of the jacket, none of which are in particularly great lighting, as the focus of the shot is the rocket lifting up into the sky. Is there some high-def image that exists that I'm not aware of? And what do you mean they're never shown to have an emotional bond? Sure the central relationship of the film is Murph and Cooper, but that doesn't mean Murph and Donald can't be close. They're family, he's her freakin' grandpa. He grabs her and holds her in his arms as she cries for her dad driving away. He's certainly a candidate to be holding her hand to comfort her as she watches her dad blasts off into space, not to be seen for decades.

Anyways, Donald has a similar jacket, he wears it after the baseball game dust storm. Here's a decent look at the sleeve:

Full view:

Hell, it seems everyone owns a jacket like that in this movie. Nelson has one!
If we're theorizing on who Murph is holding hands with, solely based on the view of half a jacket, maybe it's Nelson :roll:

And which image of Murph and Cooper looking up at the sky are we talking about? This one?
I don't see Endurance, nor do I recall any iteration of that image with the Endurance in the sky. Do you have a scan of what you're talking about? Either way, it's still just a marketing image, I don't get why you're fixated on why characters posing on a poster don't make the same pose in the movie

It's not Coop. And even if it was, who cares? It's not in the film so it doesn't matter.

hotsauce32 wrote: I don't see Endurance, nor do I recall any iteration of that image with the Endurance in the sky. Do you have a scan of what you're talking about?

top left hand corner 8-)
shauner111 wrote:It's not Coop. And even if it was, who cares? It's not in the film so it doesn't matter.
"I" care. That's who. The possibilty of it being Coop holding hands is really intriguing and interesting to me why they would make that stylistic choice if it is him. Not my fault you don't have any imagination. Again, why did they have to be all ambiguous about it by not panning all the way up to show who it was? It was deliberate. Nolan likes ambiguity and provoking discussion and differing interpretations.

HOLY SHIT. It was not ambiguous nor did it not deliberately show the person. It was a damn teaser trailer. It doesn't matter who it was. The holding hands is the only important part of it and then the image of the spaceship going up. The Blu ray art with the endurance up in the sky is just an image they photoshopped in. This is getting ridiculous.

Ridiculous to you maybe, but that's not a very mature way to have a conversation and I find that rather rude. Just because you disagree it doesn't make me wrong, unless you are Nolan himself. Even then, he has stated that his work is open to interpretation and that's exactly what I am doing. There is no right or wrong answer unless Nolan goes on record and clearly states it isn't Cooper. You need to be more openminded.

Who is holding Murph's hand is TOTALLY important. If it's Coop - which you previously said you thought it was, did you not? - then that opens up a whole discussion of How and Why? Teaser or no teaser, it still forms part of the overall narrative.

Guys, look at what's on my copy of The Dark Knight blu-ray. It's Batman with a silly face drawn on him by the Joker. How come this never happens in the movie? Is there some alternate timeline where Batman and Joker team up and borrow each other's costumes and makeup?

DotDotDotDotDash wrote:Ridiculous to you maybe, but that's not a very mature way to have a conversation and I find that rather rude. Just because you disagree it doesn't make me wrong, unless you are Nolan himself. Even then, he has stated that his work is open to interpretation and that's exactly what I am doing. There is no right or wrong answer unless Nolan goes on record and clearly states it isn't Cooper. You need to be more openminded.

Who is holding Murph's hand is TOTALLY important. If it's Coop - which you previously said you thought it was, did you not? - then that opens up a whole discussion of How and Why? Teaser or no teaser, it still forms part of the overall narrative.
His work is open to interpretation. This is not part of his work. It's a TEASER TRAILER. Yes, I think it's McC and I'm sure one day Nolan said "ok let's get this shot and use it in a teaser trailer because it captures the essence of the film." It has absolutely nothing to do with the narrative of the film. How can you not understand this?