Alternate Timeline???

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
OK this has been bugging me for a while and I couldn't find any discussion about it on here (apologies if there is and I just couldn't find it). I have seen one or two other people ask about it elsewhere on line but nobody has provided an answer...

A) In the trailer we see a deleted scene of somebody holding hands with young Murph watching the rocket take off. It can't be Tom because the person appears to be much taller, and I don't think it is Grandpa either. From the jacket it clearly appears to be Cooper - but how can this be?

B) On the back of the Blu-ray/inside Steelbook/on various promotional material (posters, etc) there is a shot of young Murph and Coop observing the Endurance from the comfort of their Farm.

Could all this point towards a possible alternate timeline that maybe Nolan was going to feature to show what happened if Coop actually STAYed? It would seem to fit.

Thoughts?

DotDotDotDotDash wrote:OK this has been bugging me for a while and I couldn't find any discussion about it on here (apologies if there is and I just couldn't find it). I have seen one or two other people ask about it elsewhere on line but nobody has provided an answer...

A) In the trailer we see a deleted scene of somebody holding hands with young Murph watching the rocket take off. It can't be Tom because the person appears to be much taller, and I don't think it is Grandpa either. From the jacket it clearly appears to be Cooper - but how can this be?

B) On the back of the Blu-ray/inside Steelbook/on various promotional material (posters, etc) there is a shot of young Murph and Coop observing the Endurance from the comfort of their Farm.

Could all this point towards a possible alternate timeline that maybe Nolan was going to feature to show what happened if Coop actually STAYed? It would seem to fit.

Thoughts?
I assumed it was shot specifically for the teaser.

yeah but why even bother including the footage? Those that paid attention (not just me) were left confused and inquisitive when noticing that scene's omission from the finished product. I highly doubt they filmed stuff (including creating the rocket FX) JUST for the teaser. People don't do that. It is more likely a scene that was cut. Many other movie trailers have done the same, but this one begs further explanation/discussion due to what I suggested above. It is not just another meaningless, unimportant throwaway scene like the one that was cut of Chastain stood against the backdrop of burning corn (although it WAS quite beatiful to look at). It is a really intriguing scene, if in fact that is definitely Coop holding her hand as I suspect.

Plus what about the aforementioned artwork everywhere? Why include ANOTHER scene that wasn't in the movie - which leads to further confusion/questioning - and make it very prominent on the various BD packaging????!!!! Strange choice when they had so many excellent scenes they could have chosen that WERE in the movie.

Perhaps they shot multiple things for the takeoff sequence so they could play with the edit. That would mean it's not cooper though. I don't think that vfx shot would cost much at all. I mean, old teasers used to not even use footage from the movie and that's what Nolan was going for with this.

BTW I really wish that Chastain flaming shot had made it in. Beautiful. Total Days of Heaven.

Where in that image are you seeing the Endurance?

Hustler wrote:Where in that image are you seeing the Endurance?
Lol. Inside the Target steelbook.

taylorimpromptu wrote:
Hustler wrote:Where in that image are you seeing the Endurance?
Lol. Inside the Target steelbook.
lol. thanks.

If it's NOT Cooper holding hands with Murph, then WTF is he doing on earth looking up at the Endurance?! lol. I think it HAS to be him, and Nolan filmed this/wrote these scenes as he was thinking of weaving in some kind of alternate reality that would have occured if Cooper had STAYed. Or if you believe the multiverse theory, then Cooper did actually STAY as well as leave. That's the best explanation that I can come up with but I invite discussion on this as I can not claim to know for sure! Again, I still think it was really really weird to keep that scene in the teaser, and even weirder to have the other scene on posters and on the BD cases.

I think it was definitely just for the teaser.

Yes you said that already, and I understand....but I feel like we are going around in circles.

The question is - as I have stated - why? Why tease something that we aren't going to see and ESPECIALLY an important scene which contradicts the whole plot/timeline of the movie? And what about the second scene on the artwork? Your answer doesn't address this as this shot wasn't filmed (or if it was, we haven't seen it).

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I am looking to discuss the apparent decision of the writers to include scenes (whether shot and/or cut or not) of Coop STAYing behind on earth, and whether these scenes formed part of a larger mindbending story idea to feature multiverses which would actually be consistent with the finished product we saw on the screen (Murphy's Law, the whole (non)-"paradox" thing, etc)