Homage to 2001. Screen shots

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.

Forum Pro
Law
I can barely tell if this is from Interstellar or 2001

Yeah, but you have to realize a lot of this stuff is just the logical consequence of where technology will go in a space/sci-fi setting trying to be realistic.

-Vader

Ani-Nation wrote:Image
This was the first thing that came to my head, when I was watching Interstellar for the first time rergarding Kubrick's 2001.

Vader182 wrote:Yeah, but you have to realize a lot of this stuff is just the logical consequence of where technology will go in a space/sci-fi setting trying to be realistic.

-Vader
Its like you didn't watch every Nolan interview for this movie where he mentions 2001 five hundred billion times.

ChristNolan wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Yeah, but you have to realize a lot of this stuff is just the logical consequence of where technology will go in a space/sci-fi setting trying to be realistic.

-Vader
Its like you didn't watch every Nolan interview for this movie where he mentions 2001 five hundred billion times.
Yes, but people are overstating the direct visual influence. Funnily enough the constant references to 2001 likely undermined the critical reception even if it helped sell Interstellar as a must-see cultural event (and thus helped the box office).

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:

-Vader
Yes, but people are overstating the direct visual influence. Funnily enough the constant references to 2001 likely undermined the critical reception even if it helped sell Interstellar as a must-see cultural event (and thus helped the box office).

-Vader
The studio and to an extent Nolan had already done the damage by constantly citing 2001 as an influence so I was not surprised when some audiences (even me) and certain critics reacted this negatively to the movie comparing every flaw in the movie to what Kubrick did/would have done (TARS' explanation of the events in the tesseract scene has particularly come under heavy criticism) while also claiming that the most obvious/vague elements of this type of movie were influenced (ripped-off) by 2001. I also doubt that the references improved the movie's box office since a great percent of today's audiences have probably not seen 2001.

Ripped off? Would you like to see some instances where the great Stanley Kubrick ripped off some movies as well? Or would you only call that "influence"?

Just another reason that complaint holds no weight.

2001 is a big influence here but mostly in it being a journey film about human evolution. I think The Right Stuff is more apparent and Koyaanisqatsi is the one most influential on it.

Nolan's been hack for at least a decade now, let's face it.