Cooper and the watch: only thing not sciencetific?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Hi,

This is bugging me a looong time! Have seen the movie twice now, I understand it (somewhat) but there is one thing that I cannot understand: in the Teseract scene, Cooper sends the data of the Black Hole to the watch of Murph. He does this only one time (l guess the code is also very long). When the code is transferred to the watch, Murph does only notice this at a later time (you can see this because she takes the watch back to NASA center to write down the code). Therefor, it is implied that the code is constantly "ticking" that way in the watch. I don't understand thus how Cooper is abke to let that watch tick that way the whole time.

Does anyone has certain thoughts about this? Can't seem to find any possible theory about this...

Time Dilation

svenneken23 wrote:Hi,

This is bugging me a looong time! Have seen the movie twice now, I understand it (somewhat) but there is one thing that I cannot understand: in the Teseract scene, Cooper sends the data of the Black Hole to the watch of Murph. He does this only one time (l guess the code is also very long). When the code is transferred to the watch, Murph does only notice this at a later time (you can see this because she takes the watch back to NASA center to write down the code). Therefor, it is implied that the code is constantly "ticking" that way in the watch. I don't understand thus how Cooper is abke to let that watch tick that way the whole time.

Does anyone has certain thoughts about this? Can't seem to find any possible theory about this...
"By the time Cooper has received the quantum data from TARS, he has mastered this means of communication. In the movie we see him pushing with his finger on the world tube of a watch’s second hand. His pushes produce a backward-in-time gravitational force, which makes the second-hand twitch in a Morse-encoded pattern that carries the quantum data. The tesseract stores the twitching pattern in the bulk so it repeats over and over again. When forty-year old Murph returns to her bedroom three decades later, she finds the second hand still twitching, repeating over and over again the encoded quantum data that Cooper has struggled so hard to send her."

- The Science of Interstellar

Thanks flr the reply! So l get now that these so called 'tubes' can store a pattern so it can repeat over and over again... But isn't Murph writing down the code in the NASA-center? So outside that 'tube'? Therefor it cannot tick that way anymore since there are no gravitational forces working anymore...
Even if she does this in her room, she definitely takes the watch outside that tube.

One thing i always wondered, how does Murph know when the code begins, and what each dot and dash corresponds to in relation to the quantum data?

gofurther wrote:One thing i always wondered, how does Murph know when the code begins, and what each dot and dash corresponds to in relation to the quantum data?
'cause she's wicked smaht.
Jokes, I really don't know.

gofurther wrote:One thing i always wondered, how does Murph know when the code begins, and what each dot and dash corresponds to in relation to the quantum data?
Maybe after awhile she noticed a repeating pattern and deduced it would be the end/beginning of the data.

Anyway, to add to my post before, i'm pretty sure it got to do with morse code giving away the equation(whatever you call, i don't remember.)

Still wondering about those bulks... Or wasn't she writing down the code in another room?

svenneken23 wrote:Still wondering about those bulks... Or wasn't she writing down the code in another room?
Well I can quote from the book again but just to summarize, every object has its world line where-in a gravitational force can be exerted according to the movie and those world-lines are pertinent to the object itself not its position in the world. Meaning, if Coop exerts force in the second hand then the force is being sent to the second hand and not the position where the watch is kept. That watch could be in a different orientation, upside down, in a different position, in a different place altogether but the second hand's world line is what is being manipulated, not a fixed position in Murph's bookcase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_line This has some explanation about the concept of world lines. It's all theoretical physics so there's a lot left to debate and no correct answer as of now.

Much about the movie could confound the viewers, but if you think about it, there are three kind of viewers, one who take Nolan's word as gospel, don't question anything and treat his movie as perfect. Then there are those who basically call everything they didn't understand about the movie as plotholes. Their knowledge of theoretical physics comes from watching Star Trek. Then there are the people who love/hate the movie for what it offered, don't get pretentious about the science and if they have any questions, which indeed most of them do because c'mon its Interstellar, are open to new ideas and appreciate the effort that has been put by the makers.