Something I don't understand (SPOILERS)

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Lionheart wrote:
Havoc1st wrote:
I always thought it was the alternate universe.
Nothing else seem to make sense to me. But i can't explain why.
Where did that came from ?

Alternative to what ?
Like i said before, i don't know why. It just sticks in my head.

But never mind me.

Lionheart wrote:
stanley wrote:
I'm sure this has probably been up before but I'd rather not go digging through spoiler-laden articles as i like to figure out most things myself.. but this is one thing I can't wrap my head around :shock: :

So I understand how Cooper was able to communicate back to Murph in the end and facilitate the rest of the events in the movie. What I don't get is how the early events in the movie could have occured where Cooper was communicating to Murph (with the bookshelves falling down, the message of "stay", etc) if Cooper had not arrived at the black hole yet. Is this a plot hole or there an explanation for this?
Both events are happening mutually.

First time you see the scene you are looking from one side.
Second time you are watching it unfold from other side.
Pretty much this.

there's a quote about time in the film that explains it.

Ruth wrote:There are no alternate universes in this film.
Although "Everything that can happen, happens" is a mantra of multiverse theory.
Maybe the tesseract doesn't just contain Murph's room throughout time, but also through all possible universes. All possible Murph's are there, and Coop is able to experiment and manipulate infinitely to find the means of communication that works.

Teddy wrote:
Ruth wrote:There are no alternate universes in this film.
Although "Everything that can happen, happens" is a mantra of multiverse theory.
Maybe the tesseract doesn't just contain Murph's room throughout time, but also through all possible universes. All possible Murph's are there, and Coop is able to experiment and manipulate infinitely to find the means of communication that works.

It is hard to grasp of course, because it concerns with a different approach to physical time as humans now know it. Multiple theories exist regarding the nature of time and time perception, and the film concerns itself with the notion that for certain sentient beings, maybe time isn't a linear, "arrow-like" thing, but rather a canvas where you can see the whole thing instead of living it through a series of moments.

This is of course really hard to grasp, because our minds were not evolved to think of time as a canvas. It's the same problem as with quantum theory - physicist can work with it, explore it, but no one can really GRASP it because it is perfectly contradictory to everything we've ever known about the world. Still, it is true.

So it is perfectly reasonable that you did not get that part, or that you cannot fully grasp it. Because no one can. The rules of the world in the tesseract are in contradiction with common sense, so asking things such as "so how could they communicate BEFORE or AFTER this and this" makes no sense. There is no before or after.

Several people ask: what happened BEFORE the Big Bang? Seems like a legit question, right? But Stephen Hawking says that the question itself does not make sense - time itself began with the Big Bang, so there is no "before" it. No use asking these questions.