How will Interstellar affect Nolan's reputation?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
In the lead up to Interstellar, my biggest anxiety was that the film wouldn't deliver. It did, of course, imo. However, had it been as widely acclaimed as Inception or TDK, I think Nolan may have reached a new status among critics and audiences. Maybe even GA would know him by name, and even people who don't follow film would get pumped for his future projects.

Now that we've seen a lot of mostly positive but ultimately mixed reactions, I am not so sure where this will leave Nolan's reputation. Obviously most people know he is a great filmmaker, but will he have reached Spielberg or Kubrick status? Will he hold onto the total independence from the studios to make anything he wants? Will we see "From Christopher Nolan...The Director of Interstellar" attached to the trailers of his future projects?

BlackSuit wrote:In the lead up to Interstellar, my biggest anxiety was that the film wouldn't deliver. It did, of course, imo. However, had it been as widely acclaimed as Inception or TDK, I think Nolan may have reached a new status among critics and audiences. Maybe even GA would know him by name, and even people who don't follow film would get pumped for his future projects.

Now that we've seen a lot of mostly positive but ultimately mixed reactions, I am not so sure where this will leave Nolan's reputation. Obviously most people know he is a great filmmaker, but will he have reached Spielberg or Kubrick status? Will he hold onto the total independence from the studios to make anything he wants? Will we see "From Christopher Nolan...The Director of Interstellar" attached to the trailers of his future projects?
If anything it will just build to his legacy. Discussion is what films should provoke and every time a Nolan film comes out there is heated debates. Interstellar is his most ambitious so of course the most "mixed." His legend just grows with this. Keep in mind Hitchcock and Kubrick were very controversial among critics.

Sky007 wrote:
BlackSuit wrote:In the lead up to Interstellar, my biggest anxiety was that the film wouldn't deliver. It did, of course, imo. However, had it been as widely acclaimed as Inception or TDK, I think Nolan may have reached a new status among critics and audiences. Maybe even GA would know him by name, and even people who don't follow film would get pumped for his future projects.

If anything it will just build to his legacy. Discussion is what films should provoke and every time a Nolan film comes out there is heated debates. Interstellar is his most ambitious so of course the most "mixed." His legend just grows with this. Keep in mind Hitchcock and Kubrick were very controversial among critics.
Yep I agree. As much as it hurts me to say this (because I hate giving any credibility to awards), his reputation will be cemented when he wins that elusive Oscar. I think he's probably got his best chance this year, especially given how much the film has polarised critics. You aren't seeing many 3-4 stars - you are seeing either 5 or 2.

Once he wins the Oscar, history will conveniently rewrite itself. He might even make some mediocre movies in the future, but critics will rave about them given his reputation. Meanwhile, another young Nolan somewhere else in the movie business will suffer as a result.

(Cynical? I guess so. But secretly I think we all know Nolan will never make an awful movie!).

Positively.

It has certainly not decreased. If anything the exact opposite. Also I think we should be careful with using the term mixed when talking about Interstellar, since the majority of critics gave it a positive review. I think the reason why Interstellar is getting so much hate is because of The Dark Knight Rises. The internet community has brewing with hatred for that film for over 2 years and when Interstellar came along it was unleashed upon it. Usually I wouldn't put to much thought into what bloggers thinks, but in this day and age every movie site blogger has become a so called film critic, which has hurt Interstellar. Even if Interstellar were to be a box office bomb, which it won't, Nolan wouldn't be out of work. The industry respect him and everybody wants to work with him, whether it is studios or actors. Keep in mind that Nolan isn't contractually obligated to Warner Bros. and yet they pay for his office suite, assistants, and other expenses.

Many films that stand the test of time are controversial initially. Apocalypse Now, 2001 A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner are just 3 examples. Interstellar at its core is an ambitious movie that is different from any movie that has come out before, and despite some of its flaws (mostly nitpicky, but that's for another discussion), it manages to achieve highs that I haven't seen in many movies in a long time.

Long term, this movie will probably be one of the more remembered ones of his filmography for a long time.

Definitely not negatively.

he's been a hack since Doodlebug, so I would suspect it doesn't affect him much

He definitely hasn't reached Kubrick status, and I'd give him another decade or two before he is considered to be in the league of someone like Spielberg.

And I would think that promotions for his films will emphasize The Dark Knight trilogy and Inception more than Interstellar, based on the box office numbers for each of those films. Considering that Interstellar is his most polarizing movie to date, it's always a smarter marketing decision to go with films that were more widely praised when advertising another film.

Interstellar is a weird phenomenon.

All my friends who have watched it gave it a positive review.
I see mostly raving reviews on weibo in China (and from a lot of famous celebrities too).
Even on Twitter I see mostly positive reviews with the exception of a few haters...
I seriously don't get all where all the negative reviews come from.