How will Interstellar affect Nolan's reputation?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Aili wrote:It took me 3 viewings to really appreciate what I think Nolan was aiming for.
It's funny, 3 seems to be the magic number. I went to a third viewing today, and it was a completely different experience. Something just clicked, where all of a sudden I knew that Interstellar is wayyy better than I initially thought. I think part of the reason is this: I discovered that every single supposed "plot hole" in the movie is explained. There are of course some things that are a little unbelievable in real life, but within the world of Interstellar everything makes sense.

My rankings after each viewing:
1st - 7.5/10
2nd - 8/10
3rd - 9.5/10

Skyab23 wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote: He definitely hasn't reached Kubrick status, and I'd give him another decade or two before he is considered to be in the league of someone like Spielberg.
It could be argued that he has in fact passed Spielberg (and Scorsese) and is hot on the heels of not only Kubrick but Hitchcock as well...

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000431546/

That list was last updated in January, so Interstellar making the Top 250 now gives Nolan 7 out of 9 :gonf:

Percentage wise Nolan exceeds both Hitchcock (9 out of 53 = 17%) and Kubrick (8 out of 13 = 62%)

Rotten Tomatoes however is where we see somewhat of a clear distinction; Spielberg has 18 films certified fresh in the range of 73% to 98%. Scorsese has 16 films certified fresh in the range of 71% to 98%. Hitchcock has 11 films certified fresh (though obviously there would be a lot more, like around 38 if they all met the minimum number of reviews) in the range of 88% to 100% (3 of them being 100) and Kubrick has 9 films certified fresh in the range of 77% to 100% (1)

Nolan in comparison has 8 films certified fresh in the range of 74% to 94%, though obviously it's much more difficult these days to get through the gauntlet of critics unscathed and it should be noted that pretty much all of the reviews for the classic films are from modern day critics and there's a noticeable romanticizing of the past that occurs when something is already considered "classic" so you know...

Fact of the matter though is that Nolan so far has an unparalleled track record with every one of his full length feature films (not counting Following as it's under 90 minutes) having been certified fresh! :twothumbsup:
I love Nolan, but I don't see him on par with Spielberg and Scorsese, just based on longevity. I think it's doing a major disservice to these two directing legends who have been directing films for over 4 decades. They've transcended and redefined genres with their films.

What film of Nolan's, that he has thus far released, will the film community look at with the same influence and popularity as the likes of E.T., Jaws, Schindler's List, Indiana Jones, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver? In my opinion, likely just one (thus far)...The Dark Knight. There's a difference in making great films, which Nolan does, and making films like the ones listed that are considered at the top of their respective genre.

Interstellar likely isn't going to be mentioned alongside Blade Runner, 2001, and Alien in the sci-fi genre. The same came be said for Memento, Prestige, etc, etc. When it's all said and done, if Nolan can continue on his current trajectory, then yes, I think there's a great chance he'll be mentioned alongside the greats, but as of now, he shouldn't be.
I agree with you, Skyab23.

Please we shouldn't use numbers of RT and imdb to compare Nolan with these great directors, lcbaseball22.
Scorsese, Spielberg, Kubrick ... they come from a time when there wasn't RT, imdb, internet. It's unfair.
Few critics wrote about movies back then, while today anyone can start writing about movies.

Nolan is a great director, one of the best working today, but it is still early to put him on the level of these guys.

-----------------------
less a one-trick pony
AIli, Inception is not one-trick pony.Nolan spent 10 years working on the script of this film.
Nolan's genius will be recognized more with this than the Batman trilogy which could, in some ways, be boiled down 'oh, it's a superhero movie'.
Nolan's trilogy is not reduced to comic book movie. He changed the genre with TDK, which is said to be a cop drama. What he did with this film was ... there are people who try to diminish it, but they fail, it is influencing movies, not just comic book movies.
Because of TDK that the Academy increased the number to 10 films nominated. A Batman movie changed something no other movie did. This just shows how important this film was / is.

Skyab23 wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote: He definitely hasn't reached Kubrick status, and I'd give him another decade or two before he is considered to be in the league of someone like Spielberg.
It could be argued that he has in fact passed Spielberg (and Scorsese) and is hot on the heels of not only Kubrick but Hitchcock as well...

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000431546/

That list was last updated in January, so Interstellar making the Top 250 now gives Nolan 7 out of 9 :gonf:

Percentage wise Nolan exceeds both Hitchcock (9 out of 53 = 17%) and Kubrick (8 out of 13 = 62%)

Rotten Tomatoes however is where we see somewhat of a clear distinction; Spielberg has 18 films certified fresh in the range of 73% to 98%. Scorsese has 16 films certified fresh in the range of 71% to 98%. Hitchcock has 11 films certified fresh (though obviously there would be a lot more, like around 38 if they all met the minimum number of reviews) in the range of 88% to 100% (3 of them being 100) and Kubrick has 9 films certified fresh in the range of 77% to 100% (1)

Nolan in comparison has 8 films certified fresh in the range of 74% to 94%, though obviously it's much more difficult these days to get through the gauntlet of critics unscathed and it should be noted that pretty much all of the reviews for the classic films are from modern day critics and there's a noticeable romanticizing of the past that occurs when something is already considered "classic" so you know...

Fact of the matter though is that Nolan so far has an unparalleled track record with every one of his full length feature films (not counting Following as it's under 90 minutes) having been certified fresh! :twothumbsup:
I love Nolan, but I don't see him on par with Spielberg and Scorsese, just based on longevity. I think it's doing a major disservice to these two directing legends who have been directing films for over 4 decades. They've transcended and redefined genres with their films.

What film of Nolan's, that he has thus far released, will the film community look at with the same influence and popularity as the likes of E.T., Jaws, Schindler's List, Indiana Jones, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver? In my opinion, likely just one (thus far)...The Dark Knight. There's a difference in making great films, which Nolan does, and making films like the ones listed that are considered at the top of their respective genre.

Interstellar likely isn't going to be mentioned alongside Blade Runner, 2001, and Alien in the sci-fi genre. The same came be said for Memento, Prestige, etc, etc. When it's all said and done, if Nolan can continue on his current trajectory, then yes, I think there's a great chance he'll be mentioned alongside the greats, but as of now, he shouldn't be.
:roll: The Dark Knight, Inception, maybe Interstellar, Memento. All those movies with the exception of Interstellar(at least not yet) are very influential, popular and used as comparisons to other movies. Look at his imdb ratings for his movies if you don't think he doesn't have the same influence and popularity. I know that isn't the film community specifically but that tells me a lot. People really like or love his movies. Of course he isn't at the level of Scorcese or Spielberg. He doesn't have the longevity yet but he's off to a very good start.
Last edited by bootsy on November 17th, 2014, 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

I think this film is going to age exceptionally well.

The beauty of Interstellar and Nolan is he doesn't give a shit about his reputation. It is quite clear he took over the screenplay and directed the movie in favor of his daughter, codenaming the project Flora's Letter and then changing the original script to focus on a father-daughter relationship. I bet he feels the film will succeed when his own daughter comes to understand and appreciate it.

less a one-trick pony
AIli, Inception is not one-trick pony.Nolan spent 10 years working on the script of this film.
Nolan's genius will be recognized more with this than the Batman trilogy which could, in some ways, be boiled down 'oh, it's a superhero movie'.
Nolan's trilogy is not reduced to comic book movie. He changed the genre with TDK, which is said to be a cop drama. What he did with this film was ... there are people who try to diminish it, but they fail, it is influencing movies, not just comic book movies.
Because of TDK that the Academy increased the number to 10 films nominated. A Batman movie changed something no other movie did. This just shows how important this film was / is.[/quote]

Hey, Monica, don't bother lecturing me. We don't have the same tastes obviously if you think King of Comedy is a great satire.

I saw on the IMBd you gave a bad rating to Interstellar and criticized it in one of your Christian Bale posts. Wow, you really are Christian Bale's Number One fangirl, aren't you? Pity he isn't in this movie, I'm sure you'd like it a lot more. Hope you'll like Exodus more than you did Interstellar.

Hey, Monica, don't bother lecturing me. We don't have the same tastes obviously if you think King of Comedy is a great satire.

I saw on the IMBd you gave a bad rating to Interstellar and criticized it in one of your Christian Bale posts. Wow, you really are Christian Bale's Number One fangirl, aren't you? Pity he isn't in this movie, I'm sure you'd like it a lot more. Hope you'll like Exodus more than you did Interstellar.
I didn't know I was being investigated. I posted here that I didn't like Interstellar and not only there.
No, this has nothing to do with Christian Bale. I actually have said here that I hope they will not work together again soon.

Don't call me a fangirl as if it were something bad. I think you have problems with people who like other actors than Matthew. I don't know what it is, and I don't want to know.
But the fact that you read my post on imdb come here and post that I given 5/10 for Interstellar and hinting it was because Christian Bale is not in the movie, which might sound that you're trying to put others against me, speaks lot about you.

Ah, on Exodus, think it will be a mess.

Monicabbm wrote:

I didn't know I was being investigated. I posted here that I didn't like Interstellar and not only there.
No, this has nothing to do with Christian Bale. I actually have said here that I hope they will not work together again soon.

Don't call me a fangirl as if it were something bad. I think you have problems with people who like other actors than Matthew. I don't know what it is, and I don't want to know.
But the fact that you read my post on imdb come here and post that I given 5/10 for Interstellar and hinting it was because Christian Bale is not in the movie, which might sound that you're trying to put others against me, speaks lot about you.

Ah, on Exodus, think it will be a mess.

Monica, if this was the first time you had attacked one of my posts, I would have ignored it like I have so many others in the past. But you've been doing this ever since I came onto the forum.

Enough's enough. Don't bother reading my posts if you think they have to be "corrected". This part of the forum is for Interstellar a film you don't like. So I really don't see why you bother posting. Especially as on the IMBd your only interest is Christian Bale (fine, he's a good actor, I like him too but I'm not obsessed with him and he isn't in this movie). But carry on. Just don't bother snarking on my posts and I'll ignore you.

A bon entendeur, salut!

BETA. wrote:The beauty of Interstellar and Nolan is he doesn't give a shit about his reputation. It is quite clear he took over the screenplay and directed the movie in favor of his daughter, codenaming the project Flora's Letter and then changing the original script to focus on a father-daughter relationship. I bet he feels the film will succeed when his own daughter comes to understand and appreciate it.
Nolan said, Emma said and McC all said this was his most personal film, so this is the film he wanted to make. Emma said that people judge him to be unemotional and undemonstrative and that isn't true. I think he had to prove something to himself and show something to the world that was important for him. And he is an artist and that is his right. He did it and the result is beautiful. :twothumbsup:

OT: I care to talk about Interstellar. I want to talk about the movie, even if I don't like it. Maybe this can help to change my thoughts on the film, for better or for worse. I don't know.