How many times have you seen Interstellar?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Aili wrote:
taylorimpromptu wrote:By the way, I saw this for my eleventh—and final—time in theaters today (IMAX 70mm at Bob Bullock in Austin).

Don't judge me.
Envy's more like it! I'm going back again as it's playing at the Bullock till the 28th.
I showed up 15 minutes early for yesterday's 3:30pm showing thinking it was going to be an empty house. There was a line of people that extended into the main museum lobby! The crowd was definitely older (a lot of couples in their fifties and sixties) and from the comments I heard during the movie, they LOVED it.

It definitely made me happy. :gonf:

The crowd at my last trip was definitely older, and they seemed to adore it.

I would love to see it again in IMAX 70mm even digital IMAX but stupid Hobbit is playing maybe if it gets best picture nom it will be re run in imax like Gravity in january and feb

mosh89 wrote:
Havoc1st wrote:
taylorimpromptu wrote:By the way, I saw this for my eleventh—and final—time in theaters today (IMAX 70mm at Bob Bullock in Austin).

Don't judge me.
I'm not gonna judge you, but... :shock: .
i have done eleven too:)

Once. That IMAX 70mm was just too good, I wouldn't dare watch the film in a normal movie theater. Will watch the shit out of the Blu Ray though. :lol:

So I've seen it 4 times, most recently on Christmas Eve at National Air & Space Museum in Washington, D.C., my first time to see it in true 70mm IMAX film. The first 3 showings were on "LieMAX" digital screens in Columbus, OH (AMC Theatres). What a HUGE difference in experience....

So, the digital IMAX isn't bad. At least the scenes filmed in IMAX fill the taller screen (1.9:1 aspect ratio) in those theaters. But in the real 70mm IMAX theatre, those scenes were positively breathtaking. First, they filled the much taller (1.41:1 aspect ratio) screen, and second, the screen itself was literally 6x the size.

But quite possibly the biggest change seeing it in 70mm IMAX film was the startlingly sharper resolution of the IMAX-filmed scenes. One example I recall: the scene early in the film when the Endurance first reaches Saturn. The quiet shot in which a part of Saturn fills the entire frame and the Endurance is just a little speck, its lights slowly strobing, as it travels across the massive frame. In Digital IMAX, which is 2K, then Endurance looked like maybe a couple of individual pixels—square pixels. In 70mm IMAX film, it looked real.

Even non-special effects scenes shot in IMAX film, like the scene where Coop captures the Indian drone plane and he's crouching on the grass beside his truck with Murph holding his laptop, were startling. The detail when watching people is so revealing that you almost feel like you're invading the actor's privacy, seeing them as if they're right there with you, not just a stylized image on the screen.

Anyway, enough about the technical stuff. Just go see it in 70mm IMAX film while you still can. Some thoughts on seeing it multiple times and how seeing it multiple times has changed my opinion of it...

1. The first time I saw it (together with some family), it was a wild ride, but I felt somewhat let down by the ending and spent a lot of time finding plot holes. I missed a lot of dialogue, though, given the music, action, and lengthy exposition of some scenes.

2. The 2nd time I saw it (alone), I watched and listened more carefully for dialogue and things I'd missed. I was surprised at some of the dialogue that had no explanation ("The bulk beings are closing the tesseract."... Bulk beings? Tesseract? No prior reference to those terms in the film, but after reading online, I figured it out. Earlier there was a line while traveling through the wormhole: "We're passing through the bulk," the 5th dimensional space. Then I looked up tesseract, which is a 2 dimensional representation of a 3-dimensional cube. Also, the term was apparently used in one of the Avengers movies I didn't see.

3. The 3rd time was with other friends who hadn't seen it. Both this time and the 2nd time, I was more emotionally affected by the father-daughter dynamic of the story. I couldn't help it, I even cried at the scene where Coop reunites with Murph when Murph says, "I knew you would come back," to which Coop asks, "How?", to which Murph responds, "Because my father promised me he would". Also got teary-eyed at the scene where Coop watches the messages from 23 years and the last one is Murph's first message saying she's the same age as him on her birthday. Masterful jump cut there, too, where it goes from Coop watching Murph's message to Murph finishing recording it.

4. So the 4th and last time I saw it was on IMAX 70mm, as I said above. I am now beginning to appreciate this film a lot more. Virtually all of my earlier nit picks and attempts to find plot holes have abated. In fact, some of the plot holes I thought I'd found, or complaints per se, are no more. For example, I now LOVE the ending, especially the scenes where the old Murph is talking about Brand while we're seeing Brand on the new planet (Edmund's planet). I wanted to go there with Coop. It left me with a feeling of hopefulness, of new beginnings. I get it. It left me wanting more.

Perhaps the weakest part of the film is the first act before the mission begins, but watching it several times now, I cannot see how anything could have been cut, nor does it seem like anything goes too slowly. If anything, the editing is very.... "efficient", like Coops landing on the water planet.

If there is ONE, OK, two, plot hole nitpicks I still have, here they are:

1. Before they went down to the water planet, they knew about the time slippage on the planet. Why didn't any of these brilliant scientists think to say, "Hey, you know, if 1 hour down there = 7 years up here, then the astronaut down there has only been there about an hour from her perspective, so maybe we should re-evaluate what we think we know about her data transmissions? Or, even if this is a great planet, how would we exploit it if anyone who goes there would within hours outlive everyone who hasn't yet gone there? But I suppose it made for a great dramatic plot...

2. Speaking of time slippage, when Coop detaches and falls into the black hole, time would then change for him relative to Brand who escaped the black hole. That is, time would go much, much slower for Coop. In what would have seemed like a minute or two for him, decades, if not more, would pass for Brand and others. So, that kind of screws with the supposition that when Coop is rescued after his ordeal in the tesseract/black hole that he's "only" 124 years old and supposedly in the same point in time when Brand is landing on Edmund's planet, setting up camp, etc. Again, though, I suppose it makes for a dramatic plot...

Twice.

The IMAX theater here in New Orleans is finally showing Interstellar. I saw it again (making it 8 times now), it was my first experience with 70mm IMAX and it was incredible. :)

bulkbeing wrote:2. The 2nd time I saw it (alone), I watched and listened more carefully for dialogue and things I'd missed. I was surprised at some of the dialogue that had no explanation ("The bulk beings are closing the tesseract."... Bulk beings? Tesseract? No prior reference to those terms in the film, but after reading online, I figured it out. Earlier there was a line while traveling through the wormhole: "We're passing through the bulk," the 5th dimensional space. Then I looked up tesseract, which is a 2 dimensional representation of a 3-dimensional cube. Also, the term was apparently used in one of the Avengers movies I didn't see.

3. The 3rd time was with other friends who hadn't seen it. Both this time and the 2nd time, I was more emotionally affected by the father-daughter dynamic of the story. I couldn't help it, I even cried at the scene where Coop reunites with Murph when Murph says, "I knew you would come back," to which Coop asks, "How?", to which Murph responds, "Because my father promised me he would". Also got teary-eyed at the scene where Coop watches the messages from 23 years and the last one is Murph's first message saying she's the same age as him on her birthday. Masterful jump cut there, too, where it goes from Coop watching Murph's message to Murph finishing recording it.

4. So the 4th and last time I saw it was on IMAX 70mm, as I said above. I am now beginning to appreciate this film a lot more. Virtually all of my earlier nit picks and attempts to find plot holes have abated. In fact, some of the plot holes I thought I'd found, or complaints per se, are no more. For example, I now LOVE the ending, especially the scenes where the old Murph is talking about Brand while we're seeing Brand on the new planet (Edmund's planet). I wanted to go there with Coop. It left me with a feeling of hopefulness, of new beginnings. I get it. It left me wanting more.

Perhaps the weakest part of the film is the first act before the mission begins, but watching it several times now, I cannot see how anything could have been cut, nor does it seem like anything goes too slowly. If anything, the editing is very.... "efficient", like Coops landing on the water planet.

If there is ONE, OK, two, plot hole nitpicks I still have, here they are:

1. Before they went down to the water planet, they knew about the time slippage on the planet. Why didn't any of these brilliant scientists think to say, "Hey, you know, if 1 hour down there = 7 years up here, then the astronaut down there has only been there about an hour from her perspective, so maybe we should re-evaluate what we think we know about her data transmissions? Or, even if this is a great planet, how would we exploit it if anyone who goes there would within hours outlive everyone who hasn't yet gone there? But I suppose it made for a great dramatic plot...

2. Speaking of time slippage, when Coop detaches and falls into the black hole, time would then change for him relative to Brand who escaped the black hole. That is, time would go much, much slower for Coop. In what would have seemed like a minute or two for him, decades, if not more, would pass for Brand and others. So, that kind of screws with the supposition that when Coop is rescued after his ordeal in the tesseract/black hole that he's "only" 124 years old and supposedly in the same point in time when Brand is landing on Edmund's planet, setting up camp, etc. Again, though, I suppose it makes for a dramatic plot...
Saw the film 5x.

For me, viewing #2 and #3 finally got me teary-eyed haha. :cry: I swear...it's the timing of the organ melody and the onset of the low bass with the dialogue that does the trick. The genius of Hans. :clap:

Ya, I wasn't sure what to make of the ending at first, but the more I viewed the film, the more I appreciated it.

Excellent point on both counts for "plot hole" 1 and 2. In fact, for me, I, too, had thought about "plot hole 2" as I was like yea...every second he spends in the black hole should "exponentially" make Brand's time pass much much more quickly, but I suppose for the sake of the drama, this aspect was allowed liberty =P (interestingly, according to Kip's Science of, he stated that if Coop looks above at the universe from the blackhole, it would appear to be moving at the same time rate as he is...I'm no physicist so I won't try to reconcile that with anything.)

Thought I could do with 5 viewings, but with the California Science Center showing Interstellar in 70mm IMAX, I couldn't resist a 6th. Saw it under the influence of some very potent medical edibles ;), and I was in as much awe throughout the movie as I was on opening night (can't believe that was nearly two months ago now). Seeing movies under the influence of some mj gets me very, very emotional. Hell, the cornfield chase scene got me teary-eyed just for the sheer beauty of it and the perfect soundtrack. Nolan and Zimmer are the masters of spectacle.