How many times have you seen Interstellar?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Have seen it once so far (it only opened last Friday) but planning to go again this weekend.

So I have to tell this story and this seems to be the best place to do so:

I'll preface this by saying my mother only really like simple action movies, family movies or traditional Indian movies. She absolutely hated Inception because she thought it was too complicated and didn't make much sense.

So my mother came to the Tuesday night opening show with me because she was in town that day. After the film was over, and we were discussing the film, she said that the movie looked beautiful and the space sequences were cool, but she was very confused about what exactly happened (what time dilation was, what was happening during the third act, how a black hole works, etc.).

Tonight, I was talking to my mother over the phone and she told me over the past few weeks, she couldn't stop thinking about the movie. Not only was she really interested in all the physics concepts (time, extra dimensions, etc.), but she said the idea of the world being uninhabitable and trying to survive just wouldn't stop poking at her thoughts. She actually called my cousins in India and spent like two hours discussing the film with them and what exactly happened during the movie. This is beyond abnormal for her.

Here's the crazy part; she bought a ticket this morning and went to see the movie again by herself. My mom never goes to the movies now-a-days (because my father is super busy) and I don't believe she has ever gone to a movie alone. She went anyway, and she told me tonight that the film was absolutely amazing. She said after she had re-read all the pieces on the internet dissecting the plot and talking about the themes, she was blown away the second time she watched it.

So TLDR: My 50-year old mother, who I thought would not like the film and is the polar opposite of a Nolan fanboy, watched it a second time by herself and loved every minute of it.

I saw it for the second time tonight....planning one more time on Friday evening as well!

Vesh wrote:So I have to tell this story and this seems to be the best place to do so:

I'll preface this by saying my mother only really like simple action movies, family movies or traditional Indian movies. She absolutely hated Inception because she thought it was too complicated and didn't make much sense.

So my mother came to the Tuesday night opening show with me because she was in town that day. After the film was over, and we were discussing the film, she said that the movie looked beautiful and the space sequences were cool, but she was very confused about what exactly happened (what time dilation was, what was happening during the third act, how a black hole works, etc.).

Tonight, I was talking to my mother over the phone and she told me over the past few weeks, she couldn't stop thinking about the movie. Not only was she really interested in all the physics concepts (time, extra dimensions, etc.), but she said the idea of the world being uninhabitable and trying to survive just wouldn't stop poking at her thoughts. She actually called my cousins in India and spent like two hours discussing the film with them and what exactly happened during the movie. This is beyond abnormal for her.

Here's the crazy part; she bought a ticket this morning and went to see the movie again by herself. My mom never goes to the movies now-a-days (because my father is super busy) and I don't believe she has ever gone to a movie alone. She went anyway, and she told me tonight that the film was absolutely amazing. She said after she had re-read all the pieces on the internet dissecting the plot and talking about the themes, she was blown away the second time she watched it.

So TLDR: My 50-year old mother, who I thought would not like the film and is the polar opposite of a Nolan fanboy, watched it a second time by herself and loved every minute of it.
I don't think that's that crazy! I didn't have class today so I went to an 11 a.m. showing all by myself. There were only about a dozen-20 other people in the theater and they were all women (some of them seemed to be by themselves like me). At the end of the movie, everybody stayed for the credits. And there was a LOT of sniffling and crying.

I think in a way Paramount hasn't really marketed to women and especially maybe older women who usually never go to sci-fi. But the story resonates as much with women and men. They should push to get women to go now, maybe get McC (cause women love him) to do more shows like The View, etc.

Just once, I have to see it again on the big screen.

I wouldn't recommend IMAX though, the dialogue was hard to hear over the music and sound fx (which I read was a problem for IMAX theaters mostly). It actually hurt my ears for a day or two after, way too loud. :crazy:
Last edited by Island Dream on November 20th, 2014, 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vesh wrote:So TLDR: My 50-year old mother, who I thought would not like the film and is the polar opposite of a Nolan fanboy, watched it a second time by herself and loved every minute of it.
That is an awesome story.

Mindheist wrote:Once.

I'm debating whether I should see it again at all. It will simply not be the same if I do, I really treasure the IMAX experience and I didn't watch any trailers (except the teaser) so everything was just too perfect to spoil with another viewing. I can choose not to see it again and just enjoy the memory of how much I enjoyed the film. I will definitely buy the blu-ray but whether or not I'll watch it, I haven't decided.
Why so serious? This is a movie that demands multiple viewings, and Nolan films in particular I can watch over and over without getting bored. I can't even fathom only watching a movie once that I really liked.
Vesh wrote:
MILF status achieved.
Just kidding, that's awesome though. My mom fell asleep when I tried to show her Inception (in the afternoon), and my dad thinks Memento is stupid. Can we trade parents?

Most likely going for my fourth this Friday. Can't wait! It won't be in IMAX but instead 4K digital so I'll see how that turns out.

Today 4th viewing. In next week 5th and it will be the end of this incredible journey through space.

Hustler wrote:
Mindheist wrote:Once.

I'm debating whether I should see it again at all. It will simply not be the same if I do, I really treasure the IMAX experience and I didn't watch any trailers (except the teaser) so everything was just too perfect to spoil with another viewing. I can choose not to see it again and just enjoy the memory of how much I enjoyed the film. I will definitely buy the blu-ray but whether or not I'll watch it, I haven't decided.
Why so serious? This is a movie that demands multiple viewings, and Nolan films in particular I can watch over and over without getting bored. I can't even fathom only watching a movie once that I really liked.
Well it's a sentimental film and I'm a sentimental guy, but there's two sides to every Nolan film, there are those pleasant surprises you'll never forget and those extra layers when watched multiple times. For me the first viewing of Interstellar is priceless, I had no idea what to expect and really nothing beats just watching a film from beginning to end.