Interstellar Analysis: Religious Symbolism/Themes

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Nolan wanted to introduce a whole bunch of Christian elements to the film. Here are some interesting points:

1) Church Organ soundtrack through the whole film.

2) Shots of Coop and Brand with eyes and hands closed praying

3) We have Christian Trinity: Cooper represents the Father and Holy Spirit/Ghost (once he joins with Tesseract). Murph
represents the Son a.k.a Jesus the savior (remember she was 10 years old at start and after 23 years time dilation was 33 when she “saves” the world – same age as Jesus dies). They both represent the Holy trinity.

4) We have an otherworldly unknown powerful presence who created the wormhole and tessaract that guide the events of the film – aka Godlike who has have basically interfered with and guided Coop throughout his life going as far as to construct a tesseract for one particular moment in time. God advocates true love and is major theme of film with father and daughter.

5) There were 12 original astronauts sent out onto the planets – There were 12 apostles of Jesus sent out for his gospel.

6) Cooper also spends decades wandering desolate environments,"Lazarus". Dies and is reborn at black hole.

7) Holy Spirit/Ghost Coop reaching out to touch people (including hand shake scene white light)

8) And just like Jesus after his resurrection, he came back (albeit 3 days vs. 70-something years) then left again after a very short period of time.

9) Literal Noah’s Ark with at end with Cooper space station transporting humanity.

10) Adam and Eve with Coop and Brand (embryos for Plan B – start new race).

(Credit: inspired by reddit user and Vader)
http://www.reddit.com/r/interstellar/co ... simthemes/
Last edited by Neo10 on January 27th, 2015, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In regards to the 12 astronauts:

One of them betrayed ( Dr. Mann)

Dayum, I picked up on some of em on my own, but there were definitely ones I missed that I see now. Thanks!

It's also a big 'f*ck you' to Christianity and religion in the sense that it's Science and Technology that saves the human race, and not God or faith.

myst4ry wrote:It's also a big 'f*ck you' to Christianity and religion in the sense that it's Science and Technology that saves the human race, and not God or faith.
God created science

thrice wrote:
myst4ry wrote:It's also a big 'f*ck you' to Christianity and religion in the sense that it's Science and Technology that saves the human race, and not God or faith.
God created science
then who created God?

No need to debate religion here

Yeah it is interesting. It's interesting too none of the critics picked up on this. Shows they weren't paying attention. When you think of it, there are a LOT of possible connections.

That's what I really love about this movie. It's open to interpretation and doesn't tie everything off.

myst4ry wrote:
thrice wrote:
God created science
then who created God?
It's impossible for me to ignore this question; it baits me every time. :lol:

Asking, "Who created God?" is an invalid question since God—as classically understood—is a necessary being (that is, He exists in all possible worlds). The question would only be valid if God were a contingent being.