Interstellar Analysis: Religious Symbolism/Themes

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
thrice wrote:
myst4ry wrote:It's also a big 'f*ck you' to Christianity and religion in the sense that it's Science and Technology that saves the human race, and not God or faith.
God created science
Yes, I'm of this belief as well.

God created and controls the processes that account for the universe and life (e.g. evolution), as continually revealed by modern science. Religion and Science don't have to be mutually exclusive.

CoRohr wrote:I like cheese
Good point. I may have to reflect on that statement...

Neo10 wrote:Nolan wanted to introduce a whole bunch of Christian elements to the film. Here are some interesting points:

5) There were 12 original astronauts sent out onto the planets – There were 12 apostles of Jesus sent out for his gospel.
Ok, but our solar system has also 12 planets, and maybe NASA's decision was patterned after the data we have gathered from home. So maybe it was the Christian God who wanted to introduce a whole bunch of scientific elements in the first place. :D

Athinaia wrote:
Neo10 wrote:Nolan wanted to introduce a whole bunch of Christian elements to the film. Here are some interesting points:

5) There were 12 original astronauts sent out onto the planets – There were 12 apostles of Jesus sent out for his gospel.
Ok, but our solar system has also 12 planets=

Athinaia wrote:

Ok, but our solar system has also 12 planets, and maybe NASA's decision was patterned after the data we have gathered from home. So maybe it was the Christian God who wanted to introduce a whole bunch of scientific elements in the first place. :D
We have 12 planets?

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune - that's 8

Last edited by CoRohr on November 13th, 2014, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thrice wrote:
myst4ry wrote:It's also a big 'f*ck you' to Christianity and religion in the sense that it's Science and Technology that saves the human race, and not God or faith.
God created science
In all seriousness...

Many debate over the question of: Is science a product of God? Or is God a product of Science?

In my own opinion, God is Science. Science is God.

Now you may have a hard time wrapping your head around this idea, considering the two essentially contradict the other, but after doing a lot (probably too much, lol) reflection over this very subject, it's the only answer that makes sense in my view. There are so many paradoxical, contradicting aspects of life, the universe, existence, etc... so at the end of the day, you have to accept that the only possible answer is impossible by human logic.

For example, take this line from Interstellar during the docking sequence:

TARS: That's not possible.
Cooper: No. It's necessary.

We as humans, cannot grasp ideas that transcend what is possible and what is impossible, and it can drive a person mad trying to figure everything out. I believe that's the reason (according to Genesis) that God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge. If you try to figure all things out from a human perspective, it will only cause problems. The only thing you can do is simply accept that some things are beyond our understanding and simply experience life for the sheer joy of it all. Hence why God initially told Adam and Eve they were free to eat from the Tree of Life as much as they wanted.

And finally... let's look at one of the most mind boggling question: How did existence come into being?

Answer 1) It has always existed. (How can something exist without a cause? This is impossible by human logic)
Answer 2) Something created it. (If something created it, who created that? And who created that? It goes on forever, it's impossible by human logic.)

No matter what conclusions we come to about God or Science, the only answer is basically a paradox, it shouldn't exist by our means of logic. Hence why I believe God and Science are the same.

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:
thrice wrote:
God created science
In all seriousness...

Many debate over the question of: Is science a product of God? Or is God a product of Science?

Now you may have a hard time wrapping your head around this idea, considering the two essentially contradict the other, but after doing a lot (probably too much, lol) reflection over this very subject, it's the only answer that makes sense in my view. There are so many paradoxical, contradicting aspects of life, the universe, existence, etc... so at the end of the day, you have to accept that the only possible answer is impossible by human logic.

For example, take this line from Interstellar during the docking sequence:

TARS: That's not possible.
Cooper: No. It's necessary.

We as humans, cannot grasp ideas that transcend what is possible and what is impossible, and it can drive a person mad trying to figure everything out. I believe that's the reason (according to Genesis) that God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge. If you try to figure all things out from a human perspective, it will only cause problems. The only thing you can do is simply accept that some things are beyond our understanding and simply experience life for the sheer joy of it all. Hence why God initially told Adam and Eve they were free to eat from the Tree of Life as much as they wanted.

And finally... let's look at one of the most mind boggling question: How did existence come into being?

Answer 1) It has always existed. (How can something exist without a cause? This is impossible by human logic)
Answer 2) Something created it. (If something created it, who created that? And who created that? It goes on forever, it's impossible by human logic.)

No matter what conclusions we come to about God or Science, the only answer is basically a paradox, it shouldn't exist by our means of logic. Hence why I believe God and Science are the same.
Our destiny lies above (and within) us.

ras_al_deacon wrote:
Our destiny lies above (and within) us.
You just stated the most important thing in life. And I'm being serious.

CoRohr wrote:
Athinaia wrote:

We have 12 planets?

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune - that's 8

We also have Eris, Haumea, Sedna, and Makemake, -that's 4-, aka the dwarf planets. During the International Astronomical Union in 2006, some astronomers advocated widening the number of planets to 12.

And we could have 13, but Pluto (Dr. Mann :P) has been ruled out.

Space.com: Nine Planets Become 12 with Controversial New Definition
Last edited by Athinaia on November 13th, 2014, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:
thrice wrote:
God created science
In all seriousness...

Now you may have a hard time wrapping your head around this idea, considering the two essentially contradict the other
No, they don't; see my post above. Atheists have this notion that Science and Faith have to be mutually exclusive but this isn't necessarily true. Also, I've done my own research and people may not be aware but many of the "revelations" of scientists (ie global warming) were already prophecized in the Bible.

Essentially we aren't discovering anything that wasn't already written in the Holy Book...

Anyways, I love how Nolan leaves Interstellar open to interpretation for anyone regardless of one's religious beliefs (or lack thereof)
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on November 13th, 2014, 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.