I still can't get over this ONE flaw in the movie...

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
So I've seen the movie twice now, but it still bugs me that...
The planets orbit a black hole - each planet has day/night, but where do they get their light from? Certainly not the black hole because it simply doesn't emit enough light. If it did, Mr. Cooper and Ms. Brand would be blinded by it. Secondly, it couldn't be the neutron star - neutron stars are dark. It's as if each of these planets are orbiting their own individual stars AND the black hole which is really bizarre.

There is a scene on Mann's planet when Cooper is staring towards the light and it looks as if there's a sun or star reflected on his visor. But no one ever talks about it in the movie.

I wish Nolan and Thorne paid as much attention to planetary science as they did with relativity and quantum physics. This glaring error REALLY makes it hard for me to suspend disbelief and go with the fiction :judge: :judge: :judge:

Anyone want to discuss this?

ZenmasterYap wrote:So I've seen the movie twice now, but it still bugs me that...
The planets orbit a black hole - each planet has day/night, but where do they get their light from? Certainly not the black hole because it simply doesn't emit enough light. If it did, Mr. Cooper and Ms. Brand would be blinded by it. Secondly, it couldn't be the neutron star - neutron stars are dark. It's as if each of these planets are orbiting their own individual stars AND the black hole which is really bizarre.

There is a scene on Mann's planet when Cooper is staring towards the light and it looks as if there's a sun or star reflected on his visor. But no one ever talks about it in the movie.

I wish Nolan and Thorne paid as much attention to planetary science as they did with relativity and quantum physics. This glaring error REALLY makes it hard for me to suspend disbelief and go with the fiction :judge: :judge: :judge:

Well a planet orbiting a black hole is the idea they've built everything around, so it's not too much of a stretch to say there was an orbiting star as well...

ZenmasterYap wrote:So I've seen the movie twice now, but it still bugs me that...

Gargantua's accretion disk is heated to Sun-like temperatures, has a very Sun-like emission spectrum, and has a surface area much greater than the Sun. When viewed from afar it looks very much like a star as the visible disk structure is lost in the glare.

And no, neutron stars are not dark.

ZenmasterYap wrote:This glaring error REALLY makes it hard for me to suspend disbelief and go with the fiction :judge: :judge: :judge:
Yeah, because you were watching a space documentary, instead of science fiction, anyway.

stoifics42 wrote:

Gargantua's accretion disk is heated to Sun-like temperatures, has a very Sun-like emission spectrum, and has a surface area much greater than the Sun. When viewed from afar it looks very much like a star as the visible disk structure is lost in the glare.

From my understanding,
neutron stars are not bright enough to light a solar system the way a sun or a regular star would. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Also, if Gargantua's accretion disk has a sun-like temperature and spectrum, wouldn't the Endurance be incinerated and Cooper and Brand blinded?

Ruth wrote:
ZenmasterYap wrote:This glaring error REALLY makes it hard for me to suspend disbelief and go with the fiction :judge: :judge: :judge:
Yeah, because you were watching a space documentary, instead of science fiction, anyway.
Well Nolan certainly sold it as being built on solid science, and I parted with my buck intending to receive such a product. Besides, I'm not asking for a documentary - I'm asking for a movie with a consistent foundation for its universe so I can believe in it.

srvxid wrote:

Well a planet orbiting a black hole is the idea they've built everything around, so it's not too much of a stretch to say there was an orbiting star as well...
Hmmm yes, I think it's not too much a stretch to think that. Ah well...come to think of it, it would have almost been redundant to explain that there's an orbiting star too and to depict that star cos its not central to the storyline.

ZenmasterYap wrote:This glaring error

Cilogy wrote:
ZenmasterYap wrote:This glaring error
I know you're making fun of me but I don't get it :?: :?:

ZenmasterYap wrote:
stoifics42 wrote:

From my understanding,
neutron stars are not bright enough to light a solar system the way a sun or a regular star would. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Also, if Gargantua's accretion disk has a sun-like temperature and spectrum, wouldn't the Endurance be incinerated and Cooper and Brand blinded?
Take note A) Endurance stayed several million miles away from the accretion disk during the whole slingshot maneuver B) from the ship's perspective the maneuver didn't take that long; they didn't spend much time near the hottest & brightest sections of the disk. As for not being blinded - adaptive window tinting?

The total luminosity of a neutron star is much less than the Sun, but that's because of its small size, not lack of radiation. It's still spewing out tons of radiation in all sorts of wavelengths. Get close enough and it'd look very Sun-like in the sky, although I really wouldn't advise that for a whole host of other reasons (X-rays, uber-magnetic fields, tidal forces, etc.).