What are Interstellar's Flaws?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Vader182 wrote:
The ending would be one of hope, realizing the plan worked.

-Vader
but still with cooper trapped in the tesseract? murph succeeds back on earth, maybe brand succeeds too, but cooper himself is lost to time forever? that's a tragedy in my eyes. or... something else? just trying to figure out what would have been most satisfying for you.

" they" is nothing more than a dues ex machina in movie. Most of the time, It should not be used unless you can cover it well but nope " they" created tesseract , " they" saved human, " they" as the " wtf is going on"....I get the romantic idea behind the ending but this is just too much.

DrModern wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
but still with cooper trapped in the tesseract? murph succeeds back on earth, maybe brand succeeds too, but cooper himself is lost to time forever? that's a tragedy in my eyes. or... something else? just trying to figure out what would have been most satisfying for you.
No. My envisioned ideal ending would be a slight reworking of Cooper seeing Cooper Station far off in the distance, floating in space towards it. We don't know if he's rescued, but it doesn't matter. We'd see on his face an extraordinary look of optimism. The plan worked, humanity is on the path of salvation. He and his daughter saved the world.

-Vader

fallengt wrote:" they" is nothing more than a dues ex machina in movie. Most of the time, It should not be used unless you can cover it well but nope " they" created tesseract , " they" saved human, " they" as the " wtf is going on"....I get the romantic idea behind the ending but this is just too much.
The moment Cooper is looking through the bookcase at Murph, I realized he was the ghost, and 'they' were us. I breathed a sigh of relief, because while I believe that somewhere out there in the vast universe there has been, will be, and probably are intelligent lifeforms, I do not believe they are in contact with us or have any motivation to save us. I was worried that there would be alien contact, or alien scenes; the idea that extraterrestrials are meddling in our business would be a terrible ending to the film. I hear what you are saying, but I really think it's more logical and satisfying that THEY were US.

It was a breadcrumb trail we left for ourselves, and it's far more logical than otherworldly beings.

Could someone possibly comment on a technical scene, if you see it again.

When Mann tries his imperfect dock, there is a scene where the camera is looking at one of the ships rotating, and in the background it appears that the stars are rotating with the ship, as though they are part of the same plane, but I thought the stars should not have been rotating and should have been static instead.

If you see it again, please let me know if I'm wrong!

Vader182 wrote:
No. My envisioned ideal ending would be a slight reworking of Cooper seeing Cooper Station far off in the distance, floating in space towards it. We don't know if he's rescued, but it doesn't matter. We'd see on his face an extraordinary look of optimism. The plan worked, humanity is on the path of salvation. He and his daughter saved the world.

-Vader
Yeah my preferred endings essentially something just like this.

Vader182 wrote:No. My envisioned ideal ending would be a slight reworking of Cooper seeing Cooper Station far off in the distance, floating in space towards it. We don't know if he's rescued, but it doesn't matter. We'd see on his face an extraordinary look of optimism. The plan worked, humanity is on the path of salvation. He and his daughter saved the world.
I don't know, I think such an ending would be a tad unsatisfying as it wouldn't really give closure to both Cooper and Murph's characters nor would it carry the emotional punch and sense of catharsis that the current ending has by having the reunion between old Murph and Cooper. It would be like Inception ending right after Fischer tells Browning (impersonated by Eames) that he has changed his mind and thus letting them know the plan had worked. Sure it may be said to have tied all the dots as far as plot points go but it would be unsatisfying on an emotional level.

Vader182 wrote:
DrModern wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader

-Vader
ah, o.k.

i would have been alright with that but prefer the actual ending by and large. there's something about getting to see an actual reunion that makes the human story complete for me. also knowing that brand made it, but that edmunds was indeed dead was satisfying.

anyway, i thought you were arguing in favor of a really tragic resolution where "make him stay, murph!" is the last scene. your clarification makes me understand better what wasn't working for you, so thanks for that.

It felt like some of the dialogue was written for trailers...

Many of these may already have been addressed, but I'm not going to read through all previous posts.

I'm limiting my comments to technical flaws/questions. I don't think there are spoilers here.

-Magic "blight" that attacks across different species? A stretch. Wait, I saw grass growing. Wheat and rice are essentially grass seed, you know.

-Phytoplankton photosynthesis is responsible for most of the oxygen in the atmosphere. Does the blight kill them too?

-Solar cells powering an aircraft? Enough to power a combine? Snort. Solar energy is 700W per square meter maximum in continental U.S. Assuming 100% conversion efficiency (impossible), with entire skin of drone as a solar cell, that's about 10 horsepower. Combine? How about a garden tractor.

-NASA couldn't have put the offices half a mile from the launch silo? Hundreds of tons of liquid hydrogen and LOX right next to your cubicle... what could go wrong?

-TARS, CASE- power source? That has to be one helluva battery pack.

-"Magic rockets" (Endurance, Ranger, Lander) that provide seemingly limitless thrust from... what, exactly? All rockets require reaction mass and energy. HUGE amounts of these for orbital launches. Someone please tell me the energy source, and where the reaction mass is stored for these vehicles.

-Landing on a planet from orbit ridiculously oversimplified. Ever watch a space shuttle landing? Remember what happened to Columbia? How to shed kinetic energy? Little things like that.

-Lander has no aerodynamic shape at all, but can hit an atmosphere at Mach 15 without disintegrating? Or even getting hot?

-Standing right next to Lander rocket exhaust? Without being incinerated?

-Habitable planets with no stars?- PLEASE tell me they're not getting their heat & light from Gargantua's accretion disc?! A cool idea, I guess, but a HUGE stretch of credibility. Let's just say I wouldn't want to live there. Also creates serious logic problems.

-Please explain the frozen clouds on Mann's. Review density/buoyancy principles. Give a "real-world" example of how this is possible.

-Is there oxygen in Mann's atmosphere? From where? Without life, you don't have free atmospheric oxygen.

-Wrist jet-packs: The silliest thing in the movie. I laughed out loud. They belong on Batman, not on a "serious" astronaut.

-Another silly- Why does TARS need to mechanically operate a docking joystick? Why not a direct electrical interface to the attitude controls? What, TARS doesn't have Bluetooth? Further, if an AI can perform docking, why isn't that function already integrated into every spacecraft?

-Docking sequence: Newton's laws of motion take a brutal beating here. Mass, inertia, angular momentum, coriolis effect, asymmetrical forces- that scene is a hot mess built on pure fantasy.

-Mechanical stress on the Endurance docking ring? Is Cooper really using the docking bay to push the Endurance around? Can't believe the docking bay is designed to take those enormous torsional and shear forces.

-Geometry and travel times around the Gargantua/planet system doesn't look or feel right. Covering vast distances way too quickly. Also, Miller's planet nowhere near the event horizon, not close enough for extreme time dilation.

-Cooper's last transmission to Brand as he fell toward Gargantua is impossible. Would have red-shifted below radio frequencies.