Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
He was just making a point I think. "Travelling very fast..." doesn't have the same ring to it.

Nolan wanted them to travel faster than the speed of light. That's where Thorne objected

hotsauce32 wrote: -TARS has some weird accent when he says "Romilly did not survive. I could not save him"
I noticed that the first time. He accentuates the first part of Romilly in a weird way .

Good guy Nolan:
not killing of the black guy first lol

gofurther wrote:Something in the movie that has always bothered me..

When Cooper is explaining to Murph that on his journey, time is going to change for him, there is a line he says which is a little puzzling for me.

It's when he says "..or travelling near the speed of light..".

It's impossible to do so, Thorne insisted to Nolan that it can't happen and Cooper and his company never go close to it. So why say it?

Was it just to make his journey sound like an adventure to Murph? Or is this a script inconsistency?

Thoughts guys?

Well, I'm no physics expert, but I'm pretty sure slingshotting your way around a supermassive black hole would make you go pretty damn fast.

gofurther wrote:Something in the movie that has always bothered me..

When Cooper is explaining to Murph that on his journey, time is going to change for him, there is a line he says which is a little puzzling for me.

It's when he says "..or travelling near the speed of light..".

It's impossible to do so, Thorne insisted to Nolan that it can't happen and Cooper and his company never go close to it. So why say it?

Was it just to make his journey sound like an adventure to Murph? Or is this a script inconsistency?

Thoughts guys?
Thorne insisted that Cooper & Co. can never exceed lightspeed. You can go as close as you please, but never reach it. Highest recorded speed by an object with mass IRL is 99.99999999999999999999951% lightspeed (the Oh-My-God Particle, true story), so suffice it to say "travelling near the speed of light" is possible.

Another random thought, is Donald someone from our present-day generation?

"When I was a kid, it felt like they made something new every day. Some gadget or idea, like every day was Christmas. But 6 billion people, just try to imagine that. And every last one of them trying to have it all."

hotsauce32 wrote:Another random thought, is Donald someone from our present-day generation?

"When I was a kid, it felt like they made something new every day. Some gadget or idea, like every day was Christmas. But 6 billion people, just try to imagine that. And every last one of them trying to have it all."
I think that's exactly right. He is an old man who grew weary from the excess of our time, and appreciated the simpler life in the present (as in the movie's present).

Guys. The Hobbit comes out Thursday. Which means that the next few days are likely the last chance any of us have to experience Interstellar in IMAX 70mm ever again.

I'm depressed.

taylorimpromptu wrote:Guys. The Hobbit comes out Thursday. Which means that the next few days are likely the last chance any of us have to experience Interstellar in IMAX 70mm ever again.

I'm depressed.
Today's actually the last day for many 70mm IMAX theaters :( . Here's a list of 70mm theaters with the end dates listed: http://www.imax.com/community/blog/adva ... -sale-now/

Looks like a few theaters don't have an end date, I'm assuming they're showing it indefinitely? Mainly science centers. I don't get why the California Science Center doesn't have a print. They house a friggin' space shuttle, it would be so fitting to play Interstellar there.

I've seen it 5 times so far, I'm contemplating going for a 6th and final viewing at Citywalk tonight