Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Bale Fan wrote:
thegreypilgrim wrote:Dude, the way she turns and looks at him when he says the thing about being the same age... that's fucking killer.
Cool, although I don't remember any scene like that. Perhaps I should watch the film again.
When he gives her the watch and tries to explain time dilation to her. "By the time I get back we might even be the same age"

She has this slow look of realization as she figures out it'll be years for Cooper's return

Pratham wrote:
Baniac wrote:I missed why the combines went haywire and came back to the house on their own. It connects with the drone coming down, I'm assuming. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.
NASA tells them that anomalies have been popping up all over the Earth and I think that messes up with the GPS system of the drone and the combines.
im still confused about the anomalies all over earth. are they just ripple effects of Coop's shenanigans in the tesseract?

My parents went to see it for a second time last night (jealous) and they loved it even more.

I'm a John G wrote:
Pratham wrote:
Baniac wrote:I missed why the combines went haywire and came back to the house on their own. It connects with the drone coming down, I'm assuming. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.
NASA tells them that anomalies have been popping up all over the Earth and I think that messes up with the GPS system of the drone and the combines.
im still confused about the anomalies all over earth. are they just ripple effects of Coop's shenanigans in the tesseract?
That's what I understood, also that the drone had been attracted to Cooper because of them.

I thought for a while that Cooper's initial fall into the tesseract caused all of the anomalies - when he's trying to grab on to something and undoubtedly hitting some gravitational "strings". But that couldn't be, because the anomalies happen all over the place, and the tesseract only includes Murph's timeline... right?

thegreypilgrim wrote:I thought for a while that Cooper's initial fall into the tesseract caused all of the anomalies - when he's trying to grab on to something and undoubtedly hitting some gravitational "strings". But that couldn't be, because the anomalies happen all over the place, and the tesseract only includes Murph's timeline... right?
It already happened during the crash.

thegreypilgrim wrote:I thought for a while that Cooper's initial fall into the tesseract caused all of the anomalies - when he's trying to grab on to something and undoubtedly hitting some gravitational "strings". But that couldn't be, because the anomalies happen all over the place, and the tesseract only includes Murph's timeline... right?
Yeah, that couldn't have happened. The tesseract was built with Cooper in mind. So, it has just Murph's room.

This got me thinking more. Could it be that the beings were trying for a long time to communicate with humans but failed as nobody could understand the anomalies? And because love is quantifiable, they saw the love between Murph and Cooper and built the tesseract which worked. (Tried very hard to not make that sentence cheesy. :) )

I'm not sure if the beings would need multiple attempts to get it right with them being able to 'see everything'.

Random musings and observations after my fifth and final viewing

-Lot of lens flares in the first 30 minutes. Just reminded me of J.J. Abrams and Star Trek, especially the shot of the rocket being built next to the NASA board room.

-Good Guy Nolan: makes the rocket launch loud as hell, so no one can hear you crying from the previous scene

-Nolan likes to use up-close shots of actors' facial expressions during key emotional moments. The last shot of Murph crying as Cooper drives away reminded me a lot of Fischer's face when he opens the safe in Inception. Funny, those shots happen in converse(or is it inverse?) times in their respective films; in Interstellar, it's in the beginning, or as they're setting up the story. In Inception, it's in the climax of the film. Nolan himself did say that Interstellar and Inception are mirror images of one another.

-When they're voting on the next planet to go to after Miller's, Cooper doesn't even wait for Romilly to vote, he just tells TARS to chart the course for Mann's lol

-Probably been discussed, but this is isn't the first time where a "Lie for the greater good" has been used in Nolan's stories (end of TDK & plot point of TDKR)

-Matt Damon be like, "I'mma leave you to die, but recite a motivational poem to you so you can keep fighting for your life. That won't come back to bite me in the ass"

-Ok, I know in the script, KIPP is supposed to be saying something like "PLEASE DON'T MAKE MY BLOW MYSELF UP" to Romilly, but is that what's being said in the final film? I'm not entirely sure. It sounds like someone saying "STOP THAT...". Not sure what the last part of the sentence is, but it definitely begins with "STOP". I think it's TARS, because he's off-screen on the right side, and that's where the audio comes from. I think it's TARS realizing KIPP is booby-trapped and telling Romilly to stop doing whatever he's doing?

-TARS has some weird accent when he says "Romilly did not survive. I could not save him"

-The tesseract scenes are hands-down Nolan's trippiest visuals. (Yes I did see this viewing under the influence of some cannabis, edible form to be exact :lol:. I got a seat smack-dab in the middle of the IMAX and the entire movie was a religious experience)

Something in the movie that has always bothered me..

When Cooper is explaining to Murph that on his journey, time is going to change for him, there is a line he says which is a little puzzling for me.

It's when he says "..or travelling near the speed of light..".

It's impossible to do so, Thorne insisted to Nolan that it can't happen and Cooper and his company never go close to it. So why say it?

Was it just to make his journey sound like an adventure to Murph? Or is this a script inconsistency?

Thoughts guys?