Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Was it just me or did the film pass by really fast? Maybe it's because I didn't want it to end lol

Thedarknight628 wrote:Was it just me or did the film pass by really fast? Maybe it's because I didn't want it to end lol
It's paced extremely well but yes lol I didn't want it to end either.

Thedarknight628 wrote:Was it just me or did the film pass by really fast? Maybe it's because I didn't want it to end lol
Yeah. By the end of the film i still can remember looking at my watch before Interstellar started, as if it was only a minute ago .

It was such an amazing movie. And, with a proper content of fiction, it sticks pretty well to the scientific theory... I loved every second, it was pretty amazing... I think any other space movie will be under the shadow of Interstellar!

Sharkboy wrote:
Ruth wrote:
Sharkboy wrote:Surprisingly I pretty much grasped everything in the film (the general ideas are all laid out in the script, just expanded upon and slightly altered) but the only thing i need a little bit of help with was
Dr Mann's plan/deception

I understand that the planet he was on was in fact useless and the only reason he transmitted for a rescue party was to save himself, but what was exactly the problem? Surely he wanted to go ahead with plan B, why couldn't he co-operate and go with Brand to Edmunds planet, why allow everyone to think the planet was viable? It's not like they knew beforehand and thats the only reason they saved him, it was a crapshoot, they would have rescued him anyway. What exactly was Mann trying to achieve in regards to killing Coop and leaving everyone behind on the planet?
Basically, I think he went crazy and paranoid. Spending so much time on a desolate planet alone can do that to you. He started confusing his own will to survive from his mission, which was go plan B at any given moment. Still don't fully understand his intentions, but maybe that's it. Maybe he wasn't even thinking clearly anymore. Maybe he was scared the team would deceive him and still try to go plan A. He was nuts lol.
I think after a second viewing I get it a little more, basically he had one shot (they all did) to find a planet that would work, and it was either (or a mixture of) ego that he wasn't the one to save humankind or fear and cowardice that made him lie about the planet he was on, just to get a rescue party, once they awoke him and revealed their plan to set up on the planet (which obviously wouldn't work) he would have probably joined them and gone on Edmunds planet to complete the mission.

Of course that wouldn't work because of the lie he created, Brand would have gladly stayed on the planet while Cooper left to go back home with their only ride, simply put, Damon's lie complicated things for himself so the only thing he could do was try and stop Cooper from getting back to his family so he could take that ship and surive with the new colony at Edmunds planet.

Whether it was more about him surviving or if he really wanted to save the world is up for debate, but im thinking it was more of the latter. I think he represents all that is wrong about our survivalist nature, willingness to survive over others at any cost.
Yeah! I agree with you.
But still he was nuts lol.

I still want confirmation whether or not Jonathan Nolan
was in the family scene at the end.

Sandy wrote:I still want confirmation whether or not Jonathan Nolan
One might be able to find a cam rip of the movie online if they felt so inclined...
It's apparently not in English though, not that you'd need it to be for your purpose.

Hustler wrote:
Sandy wrote:I still want confirmation whether or not Jonathan Nolan
One might be able to find a cam rip of the movie online if they felt so inclined...
It's apparently not in English though, not that you'd need it to be for your purpose.
I'm going to go again on Sunday just wondering if anyone else noticed.

I did not.

I have a HUGE question, and it's one of the few things that even after lengthy discussion I can't figure out.
Why/how did the ice space base blow up?

-Vader