Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
sickofsickness wrote:Obviously the film looks incredible, but I had a thought I'm sure many of you had at least briefly.

Pretend Wally Pfister DP'd this film. How do you think it would have looked differently?
It wouldn't be as dull as it is.
lmfao

sickofsickness wrote:Obviously the film looks incredible, but I had a thought I'm sure many of you had at least briefly.

Pretend Wally Pfister DP'd this film. How do you think it would have looked differently?
less looseness, more rigidity

While on this topic, I know parts were supposed to have a documentary feel, but I saw it in both 70mm IMAX and Digital IMAX and both times I felt the 23 Year Message scene on McC's face looked grainy and lower resolution than the other shots. I had a feeling this was on purpose but did anyone else get that?

sickofsickness wrote:While on this topic, I know parts were supposed to have a documentary feel, but I saw it in both 70mm IMAX and Digital IMAX and both times I felt the 23 Year Message scene on McC's face looked grainy and lower resolution than the other shots. I had a feeling this was on purpose but did anyone else get that?
I felt the same thing.

I'm glad I only saw the teaser for this movie before I went. Reviewers who said the ending was predictable 10 minutes in seemed to have watched all the trailers. This was definitely a good one to go in fresh, trailers always show too much.

I haven't seen a movie in a long time that stuck with me as long as this one has after walking out of the theater, we need more thoughtful and creative films like this.

Lionheart wrote:I think the final shot could have been a sort of Cooper POV launching in the immense vastness of space. Cut to black.
I was expecting something from Coopers POV as well and felt it was odd that it didn't happen. I think the movie would have ended in a better note that way.

I find this string of words strangely arousing.

After several viewings, I still I can't tell what Murph's first line is, in her and Cooper's goodbye scene. Right after Coop says "We have to fix this before I go". All I can hear from Murph is "How ___ ____ ____ _____ have to stay"

Anyone know what the full line is?

Ok, so, I've seen the film twice now, and I think I have an interpretation that hasn't been pointed out yet (I could also just be a complete fucking idiot when it comes to using the internet, idk). It is my opinion that Interstellar is about the power of unity (not the game development program, the idea). I have several examples to further this point:
Brand's character: Here we have a Scientist who is following her emotions. These two things do not usually abide side by side, yet here they are. Science and emotion, the rational and the irrational. It is the unification of these two conflicting ideals that leads Brand to Edmund's world, which turns out to be habitable.
The Unification of Religion and Science: There is a consistent "motif," if you will, of religious symbolism throughout Interstellar. Take for example, the Church Organ based score, the mention of Lazarus, the 12 Apostles story retold and even some of the imagery
When Coop is floating in the bulk and he sees the Endurance and reaches out to touch Brand's hand. In my opinion, this scene mirrors the famous painting by Michelangelo regarding the creation of Man (with the two finger tips touching)
. We have all this set against a hard-science story.
The Unification of Quantum Physics and General Relativity: This is the equation they have to solve for Plan A to work. And hey, guess what? They do. Now we
can control gravity! Yay!
The final example I'm going to give is Dr. Brand Sr's speech about standing together and thinking as a species, not individuals. This is probably the most blatant example of this theme, and doesn't really require too much explaining.
I've probably missed a few, so do feel free to point stuff out.
Thanks for reading,
GeneMod

GeneMod wrote:Ok, so, I've seen the film twice now, and I think I have an interpretation that hasn't been pointed out yet (I could also just be a complete fucking idiot when it comes to using the internet, idk). It is my opinion that Interstellar is about the power of unity (not the game development program, the idea). I have several examples to further this point:
Brand's character: Here we have a Scientist who is following her emotions. These two things do not usually abide side by side, yet here they are. Science and emotion, the rational and the irrational. It is the unification of these two conflicting ideals that leads Brand to Edmund's world, which turns out to be habitable.
The Unification of Religion and Science: There is a consistent "motif," if you will, of religious symbolism throughout Interstellar. Take for example, the Church Organ based score, the mention of Lazarus, the 12 Apostles story retold and even some of the imagery
When Coop is floating in the bulk and he sees the Endurance and reaches out to touch Brand's hand. In my opinion, this scene mirrors the famous painting by Michelangelo regarding the creation of Man (with the two finger tips touching)
. We have all this set against a hard-science story.
The Unification of Quantum Physics and General Relativity: This is the equation they have to solve for Plan A to work. And hey, guess what? They do. Now we
can control gravity! Yay!
The final example I'm going to give is Dr. Brand Sr's speech about standing together and thinking as a species, not individuals. This is probably the most blatant example of this theme, and doesn't really require too much explaining.
I've probably missed a few, so do feel free to point stuff out.
Thanks for reading,
GeneMod
I like this. In fact after the credits there's a scene where the cast sings "Imagine", Magnolia-style where the singing is a soliloquy, each character in their own space. Brand on her planet, Cooper in the ranger, Murph on her bed. Talking about living as one. Even TARS and CASE comes out and joins in. That was my favorite part.