Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
prince0gotham wrote:
anarchy wrote:I fully understand what actually happened in the third act in the Tesseract and what Cooper did (i.e. how he managed to communicate with Murph). But I fail to understand what Cooper's plan was. I don't understand any of the 'slingshot' thing that he told Brand and what he actually planned to do. Him being in the Tesseract and telling Murph the quantum data was a surprise to him so I assume that communicating with Murph wasn't what he planned to do. And there was also all those rangers and landers ejecting which troubled me because I couldn't figure out which ship was which. The scene was also filmed in a way that implied Cooper and Brand and TARS were in the same cockpit when they were not. Why did he eject from the Endurance and did he plan to leave Brand alone to go to Edmunds's planet? What was he planning on doing, and what did he tell Brand he was going to do?

Also, for Brand, how did she go from being in the Endurance, abandoned by Cooper and TARS, to being on Edmunds's planet? How did she actually travel there with CASE?
Yeah that scene could've given a clearer idea of what's going on.

Anyway the idea was that they would use Gargantua's gravitational pull to simulate a centrifuge where, upon Coop and Tars ejecting from Endurance, Brand would be released into torgue/intertia and given a boost that would save fuel and let her reach Edmund's planet. That's what they call a slingshot, using a planet's (in this case a black hole) gravity to gain speed.

Anyway Cooper didn't know what awaits after the event horizon but he was (1) being a curious xplorer, (2) possibly hating the idea of being stuck on a planet where he'd have to be a farmer again (lol), (3) aware that the Endurance needs to be as light as it can be, (4) possibly hoping for some kind of time travel feature, since he already asked Brand if there's a chance of that happening.
So he basically made an incredibly heroic sacrifice, or in other words, intended to commit suicide (he found the Tesseract out of sheer luck).

anarchy wrote:
prince0gotham wrote:
anarchy wrote:I fully understand what actually happened in the third act in the Tesseract and what Cooper did (i.e. how he managed to communicate with Murph). But I fail to understand what Cooper's plan was. I don't understand any of the 'slingshot' thing that he told Brand and what he actually planned to do. Him being in the Tesseract and telling Murph the quantum data was a surprise to him so I assume that communicating with Murph wasn't what he planned to do. And there was also all those rangers and landers ejecting which troubled me because I couldn't figure out which ship was which. The scene was also filmed in a way that implied Cooper and Brand and TARS were in the same cockpit when they were not. Why did he eject from the Endurance and did he plan to leave Brand alone to go to Edmunds's planet? What was he planning on doing, and what did he tell Brand he was going to do?

Also, for Brand, how did she go from being in the Endurance, abandoned by Cooper and TARS, to being on Edmunds's planet? How did she actually travel there with CASE?
Yeah that scene could've given a clearer idea of what's going on.

Anyway the idea was that they would use Gargantua's gravitational pull to simulate a centrifuge where, upon Coop and Tars ejecting from Endurance, Brand would be released into torgue/intertia and given a boost that would save fuel and let her reach Edmund's planet. That's what they call a slingshot, using a planet's (in this case a black hole) gravity to gain speed.

Anyway Cooper didn't know what awaits after the event horizon but he was (1) being a curious xplorer, (2) possibly hating the idea of being stuck on a planet where he'd have to be a farmer again (lol), (3) aware that the Endurance needs to be as light as it can be, (4) possibly hoping for some kind of time travel feature, since he already asked Brand if there's a chance of that happening.
So he basically made an incredibly heroic sacrifice, or in other words, intended to commit suicide (he found the Tesseract out of sheer luck).
Yes. And redefined what in Science was the epitome of death and destruction. He went to the source of darkness and death, and found light that encompassed all time and space. He conquered death and darkness, and relayed it to us.

Thank you for those responses, but what about Mann's suicidal docking maneuver? Wouldn't such a brilliant astronaut know not to do that?

UnknownVariation wrote:Thank you for those responses, but what about Mann's suicidal docking maneuver? Wouldn't such a brilliant astronaut know not to do that?
That's the point. He's desperate beyond reason and training.

thegreypilgrim wrote:
UnknownVariation wrote:Thank you for those responses, but what about Mann's suicidal docking maneuver? Wouldn't such a brilliant astronaut know not to do that?
That doesn't make any sense. He's desperate to make it to the other planet, so why would he put himself in a situation that will undoubtedly kill him? He wasn't that far gone.

Sure he was.

thegreypilgrim wrote:Sure he was.
So you're saying he remembers how to fly a Ranger and dock properly, but the part of the training that says explosive depressurization will occur if you open the airlock is forgotten?

Uh, yeah. This is the same dude who falsified his planet's data for years hoping he'd be rescued. That might be a clue he's not right in the head.

UnknownVariation wrote:
thegreypilgrim wrote:
That doesn't make any sense. He's desperate to make it to the other planet, so why would he put himself in a situation that will undoubtedly kill him? He wasn't that far gone.
I'm not sure Mann was all that trained or even good at his job. He was presented as sort of a charismatic politician, "a leader of men" and we all know how courageous and intelligent politicians are! People probably always did things for him, he was just the figurehead. Anyway, that's how I saw it.

@Aili That's a more logical answer then. Just curious, did the Lazarus mission use a ship similar to the Endurance to travel through the wormhole?