Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
CoRohr wrote:I hope the Blu-Ray comes out in March.
It probably will.

I gotta see that Bill Irwin behind the scenes footage

I do have a new question after seeing it for a second time though. Why would the brilliant Dr. Mann put himself in a position where explosive depressurization could take place? Wouldn't he know how to avoid that?

Also, can someone provide an explanation of how the future humans were able to provide a tesseract if their survival depended on Coop passing on the equation to Murph? How would they have existed at that point in time?

UnknownVariation wrote:Also, can someone provide an explanation of how the future humans were able to provide a tesseract if their survival depended on Coop passing on the equation to Murph? How would they have existed at that point in time?
You can't think of the film in a linear sense. Even though we can suggest that even though life evolves chronologically, it could also be suggested that it was inevitable for the future of the human race to create those things such as the tesseract and the wormhole, and that Cooper was the one chosen to stitch that all together. Even though those events hadn't happened yet, it remained inevitable for Cooper to provide Murph with the equation.

Monicabbm wrote:
m4st4 wrote:I've seen The Dark Knight 23 times until this day, Inception probably six or seven times, The Dark Knight Rises that same number... and I've seen Interstellar 2 times now and it already feels like I've seen it enought times already, no more revisits until Blu-ray sometime in the future.

That's a solid self-indicator that it's really not one of my favorite Nolan films.

If someone can chime in with similar experience I'd appreciate it.
I saw Interstellar twice, I didn't want to see it again. But that's because I really didn't liked the movie. It's visually beautiful, great soundtrack but the screenplay :sick:
How surprising to hear this from you :roll:

Skyab23 wrote:
OpenBook wrote:Image

I cant remember this being in the film. :?
That's a beautiful shot, and I wish it was included as well.

Doesn't the exclusion of this shot from the film, kind of contradict what Nolan has stated that he doesn't have left over footage or trim his films? If that shot was included in the trailer, I wonder what else was left out? Perhaps Nolan is such a perfectionist, he wouldn't want us to see on a blu-ray special features, the scenes he doesn't feel "works" with the film.

I'm still convinced there are some scenes out there (even if they're behind the scenes stuff) with Heath from TDK that we haven't seen, and may never.
I don't know about any extra Heath Ledger scenes in TDK, but I know that there were several scenes that didn't make the cut in TDK. There was an exclusive trailer at WW if I recall correctly that had some of that footage.

UnknownVariation wrote:I do have a new question after seeing it for a second time though. Why would the brilliant Dr. Mann put himself in a position where explosive depressurization could take place? Wouldn't he know how to avoid that?

Also, can someone provide an explanation of how the future humans were able to provide a tesseract if their survival depended on Coop passing on the equation to Murph? How would they have existed at that point in time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_se ... _principle
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gedThePast

At this point I'm tired of constantly arguing why this interpretation of time travel, or time interaction for this film, is the only one that makes sense, so here's some complementary reading you ought to do.

I fully understand what actually happened in the third act in the Tesseract and what Cooper did (i.e. how he managed to communicate with Murph). But I fail to understand what Cooper's plan was. I don't understand any of the 'slingshot' thing that he told Brand and what he actually planned to do. Him being in the Tesseract and telling Murph the quantum data was a surprise to him so I assume that communicating with Murph wasn't what he planned to do. And there was also all those rangers and landers ejecting which troubled me because I couldn't figure out which ship was which. The scene was also filmed in a way that implied Cooper and Brand and TARS were in the same cockpit when they were not. Why did he eject from the Endurance and did he plan to leave Brand alone to go to Edmunds's planet? What was he planning on doing, and what did he tell Brand he was going to do?

Also, for Brand, how did she go from being in the Endurance, abandoned by Cooper and TARS, to being on Edmunds's planet? How did she actually travel there with CASE?

anarchy wrote:I fully understand what actually happened in the third act in the Tesseract and what Cooper did (i.e. how he managed to communicate with Murph). But I fail to understand what Cooper's plan was. I don't understand any of the 'slingshot' thing that he told Brand and what he actually planned to do. Him being in the Tesseract and telling Murph the quantum data was a surprise to him so I assume that communicating with Murph wasn't what he planned to do. And there was also all those rangers and landers ejecting which troubled me because I couldn't figure out which ship was which. The scene was also filmed in a way that implied Cooper and Brand and TARS were in the same cockpit when they were not. Why did he eject from the Endurance and did he plan to leave Brand alone to go to Edmunds's planet? What was he planning on doing, and what did he tell Brand he was going to do?

Also, for Brand, how did she go from being in the Endurance, abandoned by Cooper and TARS, to being on Edmunds's planet? How did she actually travel there with CASE?
He needed to slingshot by using Gargantua's gravity to propel them towards Edmunds' planet while conserving fuel. For more detailed information here, refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist . He needed to detach from the ship along with TARS because he needed to lighten the load on the Endurance - the heavier the ship, the more force is required to propel it (F = ma). He didn't tell Brand about this because he knew she probably wouldn't approve despite it being the only way for her to get to Edmunds' planet. Due to slingshotting around Gargantua and lightening the load, the Endurance had enough fuel to make it to the planet.

And yes, she did travel there with CASE.

anarchy wrote:I fully understand what actually happened in the third act in the Tesseract and what Cooper did (i.e. how he managed to communicate with Murph). But I fail to understand what Cooper's plan was. I don't understand any of the 'slingshot' thing that he told Brand and what he actually planned to do. Him being in the Tesseract and telling Murph the quantum data was a surprise to him so I assume that communicating with Murph wasn't what he planned to do. And there was also all those rangers and landers ejecting which troubled me because I couldn't figure out which ship was which. The scene was also filmed in a way that implied Cooper and Brand and TARS were in the same cockpit when they were not. Why did he eject from the Endurance and did he plan to leave Brand alone to go to Edmunds's planet? What was he planning on doing, and what did he tell Brand he was going to do?

Yeah that scene could've given a clearer idea of what's going on.

Anyway the idea was that they would use Gargantua's gravitational pull to simulate a centrifuge where, upon Coop and Tars ejecting from Endurance, Brand would be released into torgue/intertia and given a boost that would save fuel and let her reach Edmund's planet. That's what they call a slingshot, using a planet's (in this case a black hole) gravity to gain speed.

Anyway Cooper didn't know what awaits after the event horizon but he was (1) being a curious xplorer, (2) possibly hating the idea of being stuck on a planet where he'd have to be a farmer again (lol), (3) aware that the Endurance needs to be as light as it can be, (4) possibly hoping for some kind of time travel feature, since he already asked Brand if there's a chance of that happening.