Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Audiopra wrote:Can someone explain me this scene?
Why these mountains move? Why are they upside-down? I didn't understand it in the movie. It is just an optical illusion?
I thought those were clouds but it doesn't make any sense now that I think about it. Why would clouds looks exactly the same as the ground. So yeah, same question.

m4st4 wrote:
Audiopra wrote:Can someone explain me this scene?
Why these mountains move? Why are they upside-down? I didn't understand it in the movie. It is just an optical illusion?
I thought those were clouds but it doesn't make any sense now that I think about it. Why would clouds looks exactly the same as the ground. So yeah, same question.
I just assumed it was a canyon? The planet is clearly shown as having layers, and that was just one of the bigger gaps? Or it's possible parts of the planet has displaced/strange gravity.

-Vader

I have no idea honestly. Clearly both are rocks and I think displaced gravity would be shown before. It's not Avatar. So either they wanted to shoot it like that, horizontally instead of vertical or I dunno.

Or it was a gigantic gap in the ice mountain.
JohnConstantine wrote:About dimensions
We live in a 3 dimensional space, "time" is the 4 th dimension (I guess it connect with relativity if I'm not mistaken) and what is the 5th dimension?

Now scientist speculate there are 11 dimensions (I knew there are more than 5 - watched a documentar some years ago) and the 7 remaining of those are on a subatomic level (from wiki although i remember seeing in the dcumentary also).

Now Coop was able to comunicate with Murph because of this: " Physicists have speculated that the graviton, a particle thought to carry the force of gravity, may "leak" into the fifth or higher dimensions, which would explain how gravity is significantly weaker than the other three fundamental forces." (from wiki). Gravity I guess can leak through time and space, through dimensions.

Also the library showed that time is not orizontal, as us human perceive it, but vertical (Nolan used the image of Coop looking down from the ceiling into the room while Murph passed by, with her underneath her and so on, to exemplify this - my presumption anuyway). Anyway time is vertical, meaning the past, the present and the future are happening at the same time. In fact If you look it that way there are no past, present or future. There is only now. That way you can travel in time, to the past or to the future, because they are in the same "moment".

Now I don't know the paragraph above has a science behind it but I like the idea.
Time is neither vertical nor horizontal. IIRC, the library changes as Cooper moves through it. Like this tesseract.

Vader182 wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:
Vader182 wrote:I have a HUGE question, and it's one of the few things that even after lengthy discussion I can't figure out.
Why/how did the ice space base blow up?

-Vader
I believe Mann turned KIPP's self destruct sequence on if a human tried to access it. Hence why he said earlier that it needs "a human touch".
That was the only thing I could come up with too, but Mann almost "tried" convincing Cooper to stay at the base with him, remember? Also, why'd he do that? Wasn't the only reason he planned to kill Cooper because he was taking the other ship? I mean, that's what he said.

-Vader
yeah I believe Mann destroyed Kipp when he "erroneously" reported that the planet was sterile. He boobytrapped his system just in case anyone happened to snoop.

Feel like an idiot asking this but what was plan A? What was the equation meant to solve?
...and what did Murphy manage to solve and what was the result of it?

Mindheist wrote:Feel like an idiot asking this but what was plan A? What was the equation meant to solve?
Plan A was
find a suitable planet and move people from earth there. Plan B was a fallout plan in case Plan A didn't succed, for species survival only
The equation
Is meant to solve the problem of transportation from Earth to the planet chosen. Brand lied and didn't solve it (he couldn't) so that's why Murphy assumed her father and her crew abandoned them to die on Earth. Brand knew plan A wouldn't work so he relied on Plan B (he lied to make them go in space)

Brand couldn't solve the equation because he didn't have the means to go into a black hole. But Coop and TARS did, so they passed that information to adult Murphy. And she solved the equation.

The equation was meant to solve the problem of humans leaving the Earth (they didn't have the science to do that on a larger scale and also to travel more quickly through space - Endure ( with Brand's daughter in the end) tooks years to arive on Edmund's planet from Earth (not counting the relativity they were subjected on - 1 day 7 years etc). Also if they wanted to find another planet in space (not through the wormhole) that wasn't possible till then (the planets were too far away, it would have taken generations)
Last edited by JohnConstantine on November 8th, 2014, 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mindheist wrote:Feel like an idiot asking this but what was plan A? What was the equation meant to solve?
Plan A was to get humans on the Earth in space.

The equation allowed the scientists to build huge space colonies like this and get them off the ground.

I cannot stress this enough: go back and watch Interstellar a second time. I know most of you probably will with no questions asked, but in case anyone was considering, it is one hundred percent worth it.

I just returned from a repeat viewing, and wow--what a difference it makes. Everything is crystal clear, and finally fully understanding the plot and dialogue allowed for me to notice the subtleties and craft of Nolan's filmmaking. And the first thing that stood out to me was the score (and how fucking fantastic it is). The pacing seemed less awkward, the emotional moments had even more of an impact, and some of the more artful scenes were pure poetry (the soft piano as the Endurance glides over Saturn's rings...) It felt more like a masterpiece and less like a flawed masterpiece.

After seeing it the first time, I was pretty taken aback and while I enjoyed it immensely, I was sure right off the bat that it wasn't Nolan's best. Now, however, I'm pretty confident it is among them (I currently have it ranked as number three, behind The Dark Knight and Inception). What a fantastic experience.

Ok I don't have a review to write (so I can't write it on Nolan fans reviews thread) but my score is 8/10 (and it has the possibility to get lower with time). Yeah I know , sorry :P (all other score are 9 and above, with one exception) but I didn't put it at 8 on purpose. I liked the movie but I was not blown away, left speechless or full of emotions afterward. Maybe I'm a cold dude I don't know (certainly I feel colder than a few years back). There were some tense moments, some moment of awe, I was not emotionless, but nothing stayed with me emotionally long after the movie.

I like Memento, TDK, and Prestige better, with even Inception and TDKR having the possibility to be above it. I will see Interstellar again tomorrow (2nd time) to see if it improves or remains the same for me (multiple viewings in time can improve a movie for you - for Inception and Prestige it did)