Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
simurshavi wrote:
m4st4 wrote:Amelia Brand = Amelia Earhart
Amelia Thermopolis, kind of a call out to Anne's first major film role name.
Nice catch. :thumbup:

@Braked - Hoytema is a rocknroll DP 8-)

Dr. Mann is rather aptly named.

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:Can I just say how amazing the texture of the film was.

maybe it was the fact that i saw it in imax

but everything looked so raw...and it was so fuckin greatly complimented by Hoytemas cinematography

really cant get over how good it looked, especially the tidel wave and ice planets
I really loved the texture of the spacecraft. You could tell that it wasn't CGI. Those were real practical effects and they looked amazing, from the lighting to the movement. Everything about the spacecraft screamed realism. Loved it!!

Just got back, wow! Fn incredible.

For those who haven't seen it, you're in for treat!

I want some people's (obviously those who have seen it) opinion on something..... I talked about before not being able to see Interstellar in IMAX for a few weeks. Well I want input on what I should do. If I want to see it for my first time in IMAX I am going to have to wait about 2 weeks just because of the higher price and the fact I gotta plan time to go to Rhode Island and all that and it will be about 2 weeks before I can do all that. For that reason, even though I REALLY wanted to have my first experience with this be IMAX, I might go to my local theater only 10 minutes away (it's one of the nicest theaters around and it's very new, built in 08) and watch it my first time in a regular, albeit great quality theater, then 2 weeks down the line see it the second time in IMAX. This is what I did with RISES and I was happy I guess but I still wonder what it would have been like seeing it that way the first time. But the is a long time to wait, I really want to see this.

I guess what I am asking the people who have seen this is, would you having seen to film recommend that I wait the 2 weeks to see it my first time? Do you think it's absolutely essential? Or do you think seeing it in IMAX after seeing it in a regular theater will be just fine?

I would like multiple opinions, as many as possible. Thanks!
Last edited by ComptonTerry on November 7th, 2014, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insomniac wrote:You guys might have already discussed this -- but wasn't there quite a few shots from the trailers that doesn't actually feature in the film?
Yes, but that's expected. I only missed
Foy holding Lithgow's hand from the teaser.

ComptonTerry wrote:I want some people's (obviously those who have seen it) opinion on something..... I talked about before not being able to see Interstellar in IMAX for a few weeks. Well I want input on what I should do. If I want to see it for my first time in IMAX I am going to have to wait about 2 weeks just because of the higher price and the fact I gotta plan time to go to Rhode Island and all that and it will be about 2 weeks before I can do all that. For that reason, even though I REALLY wanted to have my first experience with this be IMAX, I might go to my local theater only 10 minutes away (it's one of the nicest theaters around and it's very new, built in 08) and watch it my first time in a regular, albeit great quality theater, then 2 weeks down the line see it the second time in IMAX. This is what I did with RISES and I was happy I guess but I still wonder what it would have been like seeing it that way the first time. But the is a long time to wait, I really want to see this.

I guess what I am asking the people who have seen this is, would you having seen to film recommend that I wait the 2 weeks to see it my first time? Do you think it's absolutely essential? Or do you think seeing it in IMAX after seeing it in a regular theater will be just fine?

I would like multiple opinions, as many as possible. Thanks!
All I'll say is... nothing can quite compare to watching this film in IMAX. The best theater experience I've ever had.

Watch out for the clouds!
I've got such vibes and am now looking at them outside very differently. :lol: :)

Second time watching it I was able to garner that constant major theme of
differing ideas of survival.

It seems like the film showed two different types of people, those who adapt and accept life the way it is and those who strive for more and better, Plan A and plan B.

Donald, Tom, Mann, Doyle (somewhat) and eventually Dr Brand they all show themselves to be the former, those who accept that the only way to survive and endure is to adapt and move on, even at the cost of other people, they are the ones who "worry about their place in the dirt" It's how humanity has survived and it's likely how humanity will survive again. It's realists and pragmatism to it's fullest.

Then you have Cooper, Amelia and Murph, Romily, who truly believe that they can find a way to save all of humanity by exploration, by discovery, by unlocking the secrets behind the wormholes, blackholes and dimensions, it requires a lot of unquantifiable elements like faith and love, but above all the sense of wonder and drive that this film has strived to instil in it's audience even at the script stage

Theres so many ways and in so many different stages and degrees you can boil down that conflict, the plan a and plan b as previously mentioned, with coopers own internal conflict throughout the film, (to batten down the hatches and stay with his family, or to sacrifice him ever seeing her again so he can find a way that they can all survive and evolve as opposed to starting over again with a new place (maybe doomed to repeat the same mistakes)

Heck the differing perspectives of survival is directly personified in the fight between mann and cooper. Mann is all about the survival instinct, darwinism to a fault, kill people, and leave people to die, deny a man his "delusional flight back home" in order to create a colony, heck his own survival instinct goes against the safety of people when he called down the crew.

I just think at the heart of the film that theme of positive expansive survivalism vs a negative incindary survivalism just seems to pop up everywhere in the film

That's what i got anyway.

I just want to say , in terms of performance :

Anne > Young lady > Jessica

Brand was definitely a great surprise. Anne brought a sense of warmth to the character. I remember reading that she was sorta irrelevant...i dont know which movie those people might have saw.