Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Ruth wrote:
Havoc1st wrote:
Ruth wrote:Ok, I'm here again lol. But I can't stop thinking about it:
In the end, Cooper cared about Murph more than anyone else. Even his other son. I mean, he does reconcile with Murph in the space station, it's sad and all, but.. where's Tom? No one even mentioned his name, as if he died a long time ago and no one even cares anymore. The more I think about it, the more sad I feel about it.
Didn't the doctor told Cooper that he can meet Murph in few weeks? So i'm assuming Tom died between Cooper waking up in hospital and Murph's death.
Holy shit, i think i just gave my first logical explanation for this film. I still could be wrong though, still can't really remember clearly.
He obviously said so. And yeah, Tom could've been dead, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about Cooper not giving a shit about his son - whether he was alive or not, he was basically all over Murph, which is really tender (it's actually really beautiful, since I'm female as well, so it's nice and somewhat even heartbreaking a little to see the daughter/father dynamic in this film), but he had 2 kids, not one. And I don't care if grown up Tom was a bit of a douche (that was probably the result of his upbringing and him being in Murph's shadow all the time, tho), if I were Cooper, I would've at least asked if he was alive, or how he died if he did. I can't remember for 100%, but I don't think anyone mentioned Tom, or his family during the last 10 minutes. I don't think it's film's (or script's) flaw, more like my own personal frustration with Cooper.
Is not that he didn't give a shit about Tom, he gave a shit, otherwise he wouldn't have cried like a baby when he saw him all grown up and with his grandson (or daughter?) Cooper made peace with Tom, he made peace with the fact that he was able to see him, Tom talked to him and Tom gave up on him, understandable, to Tom (like to anybody else) Cooper was like dead, he was not going to see him again, Cooper wen to a place where he was not going to come back in his lifetime, he made his peace, he felt as if his dad was dead and Cooper understood that. What Cooper was having trouble with and felt guilty about is that Murph didn't forgive him, never forgot him, always had the hope that she would see him again and he couldn't bear the pain that he was failing her, that he was failing in his promise. If Tom and Murph were alive when he was picked up by the space station, he would've been with both, but only Murph was alive and he wanted her to forgive him. Cooper cared about his children, not only Murph, he stated that several timed during the movie.

willyjoel wrote:
Ruth wrote:
He obviously said so. And yeah, Tom could've been dead, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about Cooper not giving a shit about his son - whether he was alive or not, he was basically all over Murph, which is really tender (it's actually really beautiful, since I'm female as well, so it's nice and somewhat even heartbreaking a little to see the daughter/father dynamic in this film), but he had 2 kids, not one. And I don't care if grown up Tom was a bit of a douche (that was probably the result of his upbringing and him being in Murph's shadow all the time, tho), if I were Cooper, I would've at least asked if he was alive, or how he died if he did. I can't remember for 100%, but I don't think anyone mentioned Tom, or his family during the last 10 minutes. I don't think it's film's (or script's) flaw, more like my own personal frustration with Cooper.
Is not that he didn't give a shit about Tom, he gave a shit, otherwise he wouldn't have cried like a baby when he saw him all grown up and with his grandson (or daughter?) Cooper made peace with Tom, he made peace with the fact that he was able to see him, Tom talked to him and Tom gave up on him, understandable, to Tom (like to anybody else) Cooper was like dead, he was not going to see him again, Cooper wen to a place where he was not going to come back in his lifetime, he made his peace, he felt as if his dad was dead and Cooper understood that. What Cooper was having trouble with and felt guilty about is that Murph didn't forgive him, never forgot him, always had the hope that she would see him again and he couldn't bear the pain that he was failing her, that he was failing in his promise. If Tom and Murph were alive when he was picked up by the space station, he would've been with both, but only Murph was alive and he wanted her to forgive him. Cooper cared about his children, not only Murph, he stated that several timed during the movie.
I understand that perfectly, but nobody mentioned if he was alive or not during the last scenes of the film. So Coop wouldn't know whether Tom still lived, because nobody told him (unless that happened off-screen). What is puzzling me is that he acted as if Tom didn't exist, he didn't ask a thing about him.

I still sense a bit of favoritism in their relationship. Hard to explain now, my mind is still processing after watching it lol.

i got the ending. mind blown
The Wormhole is created by the future humanity where Dr Brand solves the equation, there is no plan A or B, there is just 1 plan to get as many off this planet as we can. they go into space and many futures pass and the future generations realise, they create a wormhole to the new area of planets where humans should live for a better future, but to get both humanities to surivive, the one on the ship and the one on earth. first man has to populate the planet which would create the black hole and fifth dimension to then send the message back to coop because by creating the wormhole the future earth see the anomoly that Dr Brand doesnt believe in plan A he only believes in Plan B whereas for their OWN future, plan A is also needed for their OWN survival..

As I was, everyone in the theater was completely struck with awe. When those silent space sequences came no one made a single sound. Some gasps maybe but that was it. I was completely transcended into the moments. Everything in space was so beautiful, especially the wormhole and the Gargantuan. And
well of course, when Cooper went in the Gargantuan and he was in three dimensions in five or how it was called. That was so gorgeous and otherworldly. Perfect.
The cinematography was really gorgeous, great work by Hoytema :clap:
And MY GOD the moment Brand (Caine) told Murph he lied....
I can't wait to see this again. I think I can let everything sink in a lot more. From the
moment Brand died and told Murph you know what I thought fuck no this could already be the third act since I completely lost sense of time (and I didn't checked my watch :P ^^)

Sharkboy wrote:Surprisingly I pretty much grasped everything in the film (the general ideas are all laid out in the script, just expanded upon and slightly altered) but the only thing i need a little bit of help with was
Dr Mann's plan/deception

I understand that the planet he was on was in fact useless and the only reason he transmitted for a rescue party was to save himself, but what was exactly the problem? Surely he wanted to go ahead with plan B, why couldn't he co-operate and go with Brand to Edmunds planet, why allow everyone to think the planet was viable? It's not like they knew beforehand and thats the only reason they saved him, it was a crapshoot, they would have rescued him anyway. What exactly was Mann trying to achieve in regards to killing Coop and leaving everyone behind on the planet?
Basically, I think he went crazy and paranoid. Spending so much time on a desolate planet alone can do that to you. He started confusing his own will to survive from his mission, which was go plan B at any given moment. Still don't fully understand his intentions, but maybe that's it. Maybe he wasn't even thinking clearly anymore. Maybe he was scared the team would deceive him and still try to go plan A. He was nuts lol.

Am I the only one that can't decide if I liked the movie or not? Not to be confused with the movie being mixed. I need to see it again because I have this uneasy feeling that I can't shake off.

Knight wrote:Am I the only one that can't decide if I liked the movie or not? Not to be confused with the movie being mixed. I need to see it again because I have this uneasy feeling that I can't shake off.
Maybe it is because it was different Nolan, more mature, emotional. New one.

Knight wrote:Am I the only one that can't decide if I liked the movie or not? Not to be confused with the movie being mixed. I need to see it again because I have this uneasy feeling that I can't shake off.
Can't speak for myself since I fucking loved it, but that happened to me with Avatar. Don't worry, it's probably expectations v reality v mind playing games with you while you were watching it... let it sink in then watch it again, more relaxed. ;)

Does anyone remember the quote by Hathaway when she's talking about
Space being frightening, but simultaneously welcoming/beautiful, or something to that effect.

Back home from seeing the movie for the first time. I'm speechless...