Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
dsus4gtr wrote:Can someone who has seen it help me out - I keep referring to what I consider one of the great jump cut scenes, where Cooper launches into space - was the following scene in the film:
The scene from the trailers where the two are holding hands watching the rocket launch. For some reason, maybe since I've only seen the film once so far, I don't seem to recall that that image was in the film. Please correct me if wrong - is that in the film? The two holding hands watching the rocket launch - or was it cut from the film?
Thanks in advance!
Yep, just like with past Nolan films/trailers, some shots are absent. That one in particular was definitely missing from the film.

That great shot of Chastain overlooking the burning cornfield from the first full trailer was absent as well.

Loved the film. One of my favorites, if not my favorite from Nolan.
The station on the third act reminded me of the one we see on elysium. Also the music from the first trailer sound like the music from the movie, I found that strange because it was supposed to be as a secret as the film.

I've just spent about two hours with five other people parsing out the logic/speculative science behind the third act and its implications on the first act. And I'm happy to report that it all works. It makes perfect sense, really elegant beautiful sense. What I'm struggling with now is how to translate what we just did into a typed explanation that effectively describes it all... very difficult to do if you're not in-person, with access to chalkboards. I will try.

The gist of it is that the story of Interstellar is a loop within a loop.

thegreypilgrim wrote:I've just spent about two hours with five other people parsing out the logic/speculative science behind the third act and its implications on the first act. And I'm happy to report that it all works. It makes perfect sense, really elegant beautiful sense. What I'm struggling with now is how to translate what we just did into a typed explanation that effectively describes it all... very difficult to do if you're not in-person, with access to chalkboards. I will try.

Would love to hear it, thegreypilgrim.

Dat score tho.

My god.

InterGalactic wrote:
thegreypilgrim wrote:I've just spent about two hours with five other people parsing out the logic/speculative science behind the third act and its implications on the first act. And I'm happy to report that it all works. It makes perfect sense, really elegant beautiful sense. What I'm struggling with now is how to translate what we just did into a typed explanation that effectively describes it all... very difficult to do if you're not in-person, with access to chalkboards. I will try.

Would love to hear it, thegreypilgrim.

Forum Pro
-m4

Five days until my second viewing... too goddamn long.

This is how I'd rank the cast:

-McC
-Chastain/Foy (I found it interesting how Chastain even used some of the quirks that Foy had, amazing acting)
-Irwin (TARS was ALWAYS on the money!)
-Damon
-Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. What a prick!
-Hathaway (wasn't as impressed as with first three, but she was solid, as the rest of the cast)
-Caine (that last scene... How does he do that?! Effortless acting.)

Favorite action set piece:
Brand: What are you doing? Cooper: Docking.
:shock:
Favorite scene?
Are you kidding?! Too hard. But I choked up when Cooper talked about love for her daughter and how it transcends all, in The Library.
Generally, can't remember the last time I was this intense in cinema... probably The Dark Knight.

Just got back my mind is mush! That movie would blow Inceptions mind. My god I need to see it 10 more times! So glad I trusted Nolan through the meh 2nd act.

Forum Pro
The only part where I was struggling with expectations v reality in my mind was right before Cooper's departure... but then the countdown started and the adrenaline never stopped - it's a beauty, this film. :gonf: