Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
radewart wrote:
September 23rd, 2022, 8:38 pm
Interstellar number 1 on Letterboxd with the most fans!
The film has really grown in popularity over the last several years.

Indeed, surprised to see it at 1 at that time. But I'm wondering, why do you think it's aged as well as it has for people?

Serious-minded Sci-fi is divisive, often divided along generational lines. Seems like alot of its newer fans are millennials and zoomers who likely didn't see the film in its initial run.
Big comparison, but the same thing sorta happened with 2001 Space Odessey. When it first came out, many mainstream critics of the time weren't fans, but younger people discovering the film in the following years made the film a cultural milestone.

radewart wrote:
June 6th, 2023, 9:11 pm
Serious-minded Sci-fi is divisive, often divided along generational lines. Seems like alot of its newer fans are millennials and zoomers who likely didn't see the film in its initial run.
Big comparison, but the same thing sorta happened with 2001 Space Odessey. When it first came out, many mainstream critics of the time weren't fans, but younger people discovering the film in the following years made the film a cultural milestone.
Decent comparison though I think a better one is AI: Artificial Intelligence. Similar scenario of a major director basically homaging the style and tone of another major filmmaker (in this case ironically whilst 2001 is homaged I feel like Interstellar also is ironically a love letter to Spielberg’s movies too), debuting to polarised reviews about how successfully he did that but in the years since gaining more of an appreciation with a lot of comments about how successfully moving the film was.

radewart wrote:
September 23rd, 2022, 8:38 pm
Interstellar number 1 on Letterboxd with the most fans!
The film has really grown in popularity over the last several years.

I actually came to this thread to ask members if did you guys knew this film has gained an enormous popularity last few years? Not surprised that's its top 1. This thing has pretty much became THE SCI-FI movie of their generation.