What is your interpretation of the ending? SPOILERS AHEAD

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
leo wrote:Some thoughts after my second viewing
Tars calls these humans from the future beings who live in the bulk. The bulk is a term used in recent physical theories related to string theory (see the wikipedia article on brane cosmology), and it refers to a hypothetical higher-dimensional space encompassing our conventional 4-dimensional space (3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension). Tars calls them 5-dimensional beings, so in Interstellar the bulk consists of one additional dimension. According to the theories only gravity would be able to travel between the bulk and our conventional dimensions. In Interstellar, Cooper communicates with Murph through gravity (that is how he moves the books, interacts with the watch and makes the dust pattern in Murph's room which Cooper interprets in the beginning as a gravitational anomaly).

In the bulk of Interstellar love is a physical, tangible reality, not just the unquantifiable emotion that it is in our conventional dimensions. Brand was right. The beings of the bulk (the humans from the future) hence physically perceive the love that links Cooper and Murph in her bedroom, through space and time, and the tesseract they have built enables Cooper to interact with the other end of that link. Apparently these beings are not able to directly interact gravitationally with our conventional dimensions (because if they did then why wouldn't they communicate directly with Murph themselves?), which then leaves the question who built the wormhole? If it is them then I do not yet understand why they couldn't help Murph directly the way Cooper did using gravity.

Cooper is sent back near Saturn through a wormhole once the beings of the bulk close down the tesseract. Cooper sees Brand in the wormhole, at the time when she was in the Endurance going through the wormhole for the first time. Cooper is the gravitational being she interacted with at that point. I suppose that the wormhole Cooper went through after the tesseract connected to the first wormhole at some point, but it is not clear to me why Cooper saw her inside the wormhole that she had went through 74 years earlier or so.

Cooper leaves at the end to reunite with Brand, who still believes she might be the last human alive, as she thinks plan A has failed and that Cooper died in the black hole. Until he reaches her she is on her own, trying to fulfill plan B and save humanity, by growing the fertilized eggs they had brought with them on the mission.

Answer
imo coop ends up in the dimension of the people who built the wormhole for us. He is not back in his reality or dimension. It's a snake biting his own self. They must send someone to communicate because they are lovedones and they have souvenirs and memories (i remember coop talking to Murphy about memories when they had the Talk right before he leaves). Knowing that it´s murphy's memories we are in a dimension in which murph has succeed. Well i understand myself but i should definitely make a drawing of this. It's a loophole with 3 parallel world and 4th one with "them"

leo
I'm a John G wrote:
leo wrote:Some thoughts after my second viewing
The unification of relativity and quantum mechanics by Murph allows humans back on Earth to fully understand gravity and master it. This allows them to raise big stations up in space by lowering gravity (NASA's facility was one such station being constructed), just like in the original script where they build a device to cancel Earth's gravity and send humanity in space effortlessly.

The closer we are to the event horizon of a black hole the slower time passes, until the event horizon where time stops. So it seems a good guess that beyond the event horizon time might actually start running backwards, and that seems to be the take of Kip Thorne and Nolan in Interstellar: inside the black hole, the humans from the future build a tesseract for Cooper in the present to send a message to his daughter in the past, as if inside the black hole the future happens before the present which happens before the past.

Tars calls these humans from the future beings who live in the bulk. The bulk is a term used in recent physical theories related to string theory (see the wikipedia article on brane cosmology), and it refers to a hypothetical higher-dimensional space encompassing our conventional 4-dimensional space (3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension). Tars calls them 5-dimensional beings, so in Interstellar the bulk consists of one additional dimension. According to the theories only gravity would be able to travel between the bulk and our conventional dimensions. In Interstellar, Cooper communicates with Murph through gravity (that is how he moves the books, interacts with the watch and makes the dust pattern in Murph's room which Cooper interprets in the beginning as a gravitational anomaly).

In the bulk of Interstellar love is a physical, tangible reality, not just the unquantifiable emotion that it is in our conventional dimensions. Brand was right. The beings of the bulk (the humans from the future) hence physically perceive the love that links Cooper and Murph in her bedroom, through space and time, and the tesseract they have built enables Cooper to interact with the other end of that link. Apparently these beings are not able to directly interact gravitationally with our conventional dimensions (because if they did then why wouldn't they communicate directly with Murph themselves?), which then leaves the question who built the wormhole? If it is them then I do not yet understand why they couldn't help Murph directly the way Cooper did using gravity.

Cooper is sent back near Saturn through a wormhole once the beings of the bulk close down the tesseract. Cooper sees Brand in the wormhole, at the time when she was in the Endurance going through the wormhole for the first time. Cooper is the gravitational being she interacted with at that point. I suppose that the wormhole Cooper went through after the tesseract connected to the first wormhole at some point, but it is not clear to me why Cooper saw her inside the wormhole that she had went through 74 years earlier or so.

Cooper leaves at the end to reunite with Brand, who still believes she might be the last human alive, as she thinks plan A has failed and that Cooper died in the black hole. Until he reaches her she is on her own, trying to fulfill plan B and save humanity, by growing the fertilized eggs they had brought with them on the mission.
amazing post!! thank you!! :clap: :clap:

one question though,
how do you explain the other gravitational anomalys that NASA seemed to be aware of before Coop told them about his own? they alluded that there were several other anomalys located throughout the earth (or was it throughout the solar system) that had been going on for 50 years, which is when the wormhole was discovered.. so what were they? and why was the wormhole there for 50 years prior? and why were other gravitational anomalys happening over that period of time?
You're welcome :)
I'm still wondering about these as well. These might be other people in the future who use the black hole like Cooper did to communicate with their loved ones in the past. I also think at some point Cooper mentions that a gravitational anomaly was responsible for crashing his spaceship, but then I wonder who would do that intentionally. Maybe it was a way for the beings in the bulk to start a chain of events that eventually led Cooper to the black hole, I don't know. I'll keep thinking :)

We should really discuss why
we're first introduced to Cooper in the dream. What significance does this have outside of showing he wanted to be a pilot? The thing he's flying if I remember correctly looks eerily similar to the one he takes at the end. Someone already mentioned it but maybe there's something there?

leo
Sky007 wrote:We should really discuss why
we're first introduced to Cooper in the dream. What significance does this have outside of showing he wanted to be a pilot? The thing he's flying if I remember correctly looks eerily similar to the one he takes at the end. Someone already mentioned it but maybe there's something there?
Maybe the ships look similar because NASA didn't have much resources devoted to research and development to design new spaceships, Brand does state that the government's funding only allows them to get old robots or something along those lines. At some point I believe Cooper mentions that a gravitational anomaly crashed his spaceship, maybe there is significance to find in what caused that anomaly

Remember in the end when we see...
Coop touch Brand's hand through the dimensions while she's in the ship? I instantly thought of this...

God touching Adam's hand.

Take that as you will.

Sky007 wrote:Okay let's get talking!
Thoughts on the final moments with Cooper leaving to find Brand on the planet?
For that bit, Brand seemed to be on Edwards, and it looked livable, there were houses around and she seemed to be tending a grave (of her dead lover?)
I thought it was obvious when Coop leaves Brand to go in the black hole and they look back at each other, they both sort of suddenly realize they love each other but were too professional and too uptight to ever admit it.

How Old Murph KNEW Brand was still out there and alone (or mostly alone), I don't know!

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:Remember in the end when we see...
Coop touch Brand's hand through the dimensions while she's in the ship? I instantly thought of this...

Take that as you will.
When was that?? I didn't see it. Maybe cause I was crying...

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:Remember in the end when we see...

Take that as you will.
brilliant. and very true.
Anne is Adam as she essentially started life on Edmunds' planet. Coop is God all of it is his doings. and without his doings she never would have gotten there

Aili wrote:
Sky007 wrote:Okay let's get talking!
Thoughts on the final moments with Cooper leaving to find Brand on the planet?
For that bit, Brand seemed to be on Edwards, and it looked livable, there were houses around and she seemed to be tending a grave (of her dead lover?)
I thought it was obvious when Coop leaves Brand to go in the black hole and they look back at each other, they both sort of suddenly realize they love each other but were too professional and too uptight to ever admit it.

How Old Murph KNEW Brand was still out there and alone (or mostly alone), I don't know!
oh wait! i have another question regarding this. don't care that i double posted.
why hasn't Brand aged more on Edmunds' planet?? we know Coop hasn't aged because he was trapped in the tesseract, and while he was there + doing the mission Earth essentially aged like 90 years. but a significant portion of those 90 years must have been when he was in the tesseract, so why hasn't Brand aged on the planet? he doesn't reach her until at least 40+ years of Earth time passing since falling into the tesseract, since Murph is so old when he's spit out. she figures out the equation, the tesseract closes, Coop is spit out, and they find him when Murph is on her deathbed....

...so then how is Brand still young, sexy Anne Hathaway at the end? wouldn't she be closer to Murphs age?

unless, of course, that last shot of Brand wasn't meant to be a 'present' shot, and she actually did age and we just didn't see it...

Three questions:
1. Why would Coop send the coordinates of NASA's HQ to Murph if he wanted her to stop him from leaving?
2. When Coop enters the black hole, what are the white, crystalline particles and bits of fire flying at the ship?
3. How the hell does Murph come to the sudden realization that Coop was the "ghost" the whole time?