What is your interpretation of the ending? SPOILERS AHEAD

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Sky007 wrote:
Miles wrote:Pretty much everything is sitting well with me except...
Why does Coop give himself and Murph the coordinates if he doesnt want himself to go? I get that he has to save the world but he seems pretty intent on stopping himself right after that. I realize this has been discussed a little but if anyone cares to offer their explanation Id love to hear it because its really the only problem I have with the film…
If I remember
He first doesn't want himself to leave because he regrets his decision. His plan has failed and he's essentially doomed there. Then he realizes that "they" chose Murph and he knows that bc he's inside the black hole he can get her the info to solve the equation.
Youre right! Cant believe I didnt remember that. Thank you!

Is Brand back to Earth at the end or it is only me, I mean that desert landscape and sand, it all looked like abandoned Earth

Asanty wrote:
Is Brand back to Earth at the end or it is only me, I mean that desert landscape and sand, it all looked like abandoned Earth
No, it's the third planet

One more thing...
I love the way the film ends, but I am the only one that was slightly disappointed with the lack of title card at the end? The way it transitioned from super loud to the piano was a little off for me.

One thing for me that I am still trying to figure out is the Space Ship crash from the opening sequence. I mean we barely get any backstory to McC and Nolan just does a lot of quick cuts skipping time which actually is fine with me. I feel like it was cut this way on purpose. But some scenes like, OH here is Nasa headquarters...opens sliding door, here is a space ship rocket! It begs the question, if Coop technically told HIMSELF to go find Nasa (as the ghost figure). How did the FIRST Coop find it in the first place? It kind of feels surreal how fast the movie was going, skipping important beats such as no training or past experience of McC engineer/nasa career.

One of my friends had this strange idea that Coop was dreaming/stuck in time because of how the film opened on the crash of a ship. A ship which apparently is BLACK like the last ship he goes on to see/save Anne Hatheway again. He said what if he crashed on the way to Anne and this is just him resetting over and over again until he gets it right. Interesting hypothesis but I do agree there is SOMETHING with the ship we saw in the opening sequence. That crash was not made earlier in his lifetime if you ask me.

texxy wrote:
One thing for me that I am still trying to figure out is the Space Ship crash from the opening sequence. I mean we barely get any backstory to McC and Nolan just does a lot of quick cuts skipping time which actually is fine with me. I feel like it was cut this way on purpose. But some scenes like, OH here is Nasa headquarters...opens sliding door, here is a space ship rocket! It begs the question, if Coop technically told HIMSELF to go find Nasa (as the ghost figure). How did the FIRST Coop find it in the first place? It kind of feels surreal how fast the movie was going, skipping important beats such as no training or past experience of McC engineer/nasa career.

One of my friends had this strange idea that Coop was dreaming/stuck in time because of how the film opened on the crash of a ship. A ship which apparently is BLACK like the last ship he goes on to see/save Anne Hatheway again. He said what if he crashed on the way to Anne and this is just him resetting over and over again until he gets it right. Interesting hypothesis but I do agree there is SOMETHING with the ship we saw in the opening sequence. That crash was not made earlier in his lifetime if you ask me.
I thought the spaceship in the beginning was more white like the ranger; the ship being all white with the exception of the windows which are black... not all black like the one we see at the end. That is if my memory serves me correct.

Miles wrote:One more thing...
I love the way the film ends, but I am the only one that was slightly disappointed with the lack of title card at the end? The way it transitioned from super loud to the piano was a little off for me.
They played the title card at the beginning so that's why.

BETA. wrote:
texxy wrote:

I thought the spaceship in the beginning was more white like the ranger; the ship being all white with the exception of the windows which are black... not all black like the one we see at the end. That is if my memory serves me correct.
Coop even expressed familiarity with the ship when Brand first shows him the rocket.

Long-time lurker and first-time poster. I saw Interstellar last night in IMAX (sadly not in 70MM) and will be seeing it again at some point, but my wife and I were somewhat lost as soon
as TARS and Coop entered the black hole. I've read most of this thread looking for some explanations but I guess some things are still just over our heads.

Perhaps some of the details aren't meant to have literal explanations to them, but I'd like to have a little help with the following questions:

- When Coop entered the black hole in his ship, about halfway down someone yelled "detach...detach"...was it Coop or somebody else?
- What in the world was meant with him looking behind the bookcase and being able to communicate with his daughter? He sort of fell into a series of prior-events all around him and and was able to communicate with his daughter - why didn't he continue to get sucked-down the hole?
- If future humans, referred to "us" by Coop when he's communicating with Murph, created the "thing" that Coop was in when he communicated to his daughter, how did they get there and why did they need Coop to communicate with his daughter - how did it affect them at all? Should they care if the Earth of that present day was in peril - heck, they're in the future and are in some sort of 5th dimension, why care about the past?
- After Coop communicated with his daughter and sent the code, he suddenly fell down a bit more into the hole and then was able to reach out and touch Brand in the initial ship from a scene earlier in the film - how was he able to do this? Was it because he loves Brand and his "love" transcends time and space?

Forget You wrote:Long-time lurker and first-time poster. I saw Interstellar last night in IMAX (sadly not in 70MM) and will be seeing it again at some point, but my wife and I were somewhat lost as soon
as TARS and Coop entered the black hole. I've read most of this thread looking for some explanations but I guess some things are still just over our heads.

Perhaps some of the details aren't meant to have literal explanations to them, but I'd like to have a little help with the following questions:

- When Coop entered the black hole in his ship, about halfway down someone yelled "detach...detach"...was it Coop or somebody else?
- What in the world was meant with him looking behind the bookcase and being able to communicate with his daughter? He sort of fell into a series of prior-events all around him and and was able to communicate with his daughter - why didn't he continue to get sucked-down the hole?
- If future humans, referred to "us" by Coop when he's communicating with Murph, created the "thing" that Coop was in when he communicated to his daughter, how did they get there and why did they need Coop to communicate with his daughter - how did it affect them at all? Should they care if the Earth of that present day was in peril - heck, they're in the future and are in some sort of 5th dimension, why care about the past?
- After Coop communicated with his daughter and sent the code, he suddenly fell down a bit more into the hole and then was able to reach out and touch Brand in the initial ship from a scene earlier in the film - how was he able to do this? Was it because he loves Brand and his "love" transcends time and space?
I'll take a shot I guess..
1. I believe it was the on-board computer as the ship was about to rip apart.

2. This is a tough one and takes a large amount abstract thinking. It's metaphysics at its finest, basically a chicken and the egg scenario. It's a self-perpetuating time loop, which is hard for us to comprehend as we experience/think of time as linear. That's not how it actually works, however. Time as we understand it, was created by humans and shaped by our limited ways of perceiving reality. Future, past and present are all human concepts, but the mechanics of the universe extend beyond these simple notions of human measurement. It's all happening and it has always been happening, but we are limited in our ability process that amount of information, resulting in the linearity of moment to moment perception. "They" (humanity in the future) have transcended this and can now perceive/traverse time as if it was our current reality. In order to reach that point, humanity's survival is necessary, hence the wormhole. If they ignored humanity, they'd essentially be committing suicide, which would impossible because that wormhole always had to exist as it did for "them" and now does for their ancestors. It is destiny but destiny based in science. Sorry I can't be clearer. I'm at work and coming with an apt metaphor is tough to do in a pinch.

3. Gargantua was connected to the network of wormholes created by ascended humans, and Coop was sent through a dimension that was somewhat perceivable by the Endurance when traversing the wormhole (Remember when Romley said they were cutting through a higher dimension?). Love is not the dimension, but it's quantifiable because it provides connection and understanding between people. Murph was able to perceive her fathers message because of the love and understanding they had between each other, enabling the discovery which saved humanity and allowed them to transcend the bonds of the reality we know today.

Now I know why certain critics think there are plot holes. I guess I can't blame them for not fully analyzing the possibility that the concepts of time/space work in a different way than they are accustomed to. I guess I'm expecting too much deep thinking from those who claim to have intellectual insights on film.